Mopar1973Man.Com LLC
  • Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Well I just got thru installing a new set of DAP 50hp Injectors. The whole process went well. The most fun was dealing #6 and to a lesser degree #5. I did go the extra mile on cleaning up the ends of the fuel lines after reading all that @hex0rz went thru. Used scotch brite pads to polish them up real good before re installing them. So far I have a little weeping, just enough to dampen the head at the injectors, but no leaks beyond that. I figure I am going to ride that out a little and see it goes away as in the past. 

As far as the injectors go, they run quieter and deliver a little more power than the RV's they replace. They are however smokier and a little hotter than the RV's. The only way to keep them from smoking is to turn the fuel level down on the comp to level 1. Thats on level 3 or 5 on the power setting. Not happy with that part. I have not had a chance to talk with DAP about that as of yet. Will do some time next week.

I did replace my valve cover gasket as I suspected it was leaking on the rear of the head. It seems to have been the case since I let the truck idle for 20 minute or so with little oil hitting the ground. I will know better after going to work tomorrow. The old gasket had oil all over the outside of it at the back.

One thing to add to this is if anyone is worried about running 2 stroke or bio fuel the old ones were just about as clean as the new ones except for the shiny metal on the new ones. The RV's had 150k on them. I will take some better pictures of them tomorrow. Cant get the camera to focus on them good tonight.

v's

5 minutes ago, dripley said:

According to google 910 feet. Not very high. Just outside the foot hills of the Smokeys.

Yeah I'd give them a call.

@Me78569 says his 100hp from DFI were clean as a whistle around sea level. I would expect you to witness the same thing considering your injectors are 50hp smaller. 

3 minutes ago, Me78569 said:

Different tuning though, I can't comment on how fueling does for the comp vs old quad tunes.

I wouldn't think he should have to drop to level 1 though. That's like a 20hp tune. Although we have no idea how hard it actually comes in. 

@dripley how is it in stock form?

As in turning the Comp off?

I do have some small boost leaks that need to be addressed. My boost did go up just a hair, I saw 29 to 30 where before the install I saw about 28. I replaced the gasket on the grids. I have a leaky boot on the intercooler, drivers side. Small bubbles with about 15 psi with static air pressure and another on the intake where I have my boost gauge is attached with a boost bolt. Probably should do some checking out of this issue.

I had a Banks stinger plus on here for many years and saw 32 to 34 psi. No boost bolt, The waste gate that came with it opens around 33 psi.  Cant quite get to that these days. Even with the boost being down some I cant imagine why the 50's smoke so much more than the RV's. Always ran them on 3X3 or 5X3 with little to no smoke.

I was pretty sure one of them was leaking diesel into the crankcase. I have some oil leaks that need to be fixed and all of a sudden I was not needing to add any oil. I figured if I had a bad o ring I might as well replace the injectors since they had 150k on them. Going to send the RV's back and get them rebuilt and save them for later. I did have 2 damaged orings on the cross over tubes. One was on #6 and sure that one was leaking externally making the rear main look worse than it was. The other had a nick in it but and was weeping a little. Fast forward to this morning and I did loose oil on the trip up here where i have not been losing for a couple weeks. I am glad I did it now just dont like the smoke. It is almost gone on fuel level one but on three It is pretty big cloud until the turbo spools.

Edited by dripley

Have not tried level 2 but thinking its going to smoke also. I dont mind a little smoke the RV's did just a little when you got on it but it cleared right up. Not so with the 50's. I have to turn the fuel level down to one to be close to that.

Well I got take the 150 mile trip to work this morning and the truck did fine in 5X1. plenty of power and almost no smoke. Throttle response was fine but that is cruising around 70 to 75. A quick jaunt thru town leaving home and arriving at the job site and its not acting a whole lot different than the RV's on 5X3. Not sure what to think for now but I am going to drive a little longer and see what happens. The weird thing for me is this is the first time in many years that my truck ECT temps have held at at 190*. Did that all the way to the job until parked and let it idle. It was about 43* and it dropped to about 175 180. My truck has run cold for many years. For the most part 184 has been normal for me cruising of late. It even went to about 195 before it popped open.Not sure how to explain it or what to think about it.

21 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

I'm going to bet the coolant change was a difference of pop pressure of the newer injectors. The RV275 most likely where getting low pop pressure and mismatched in flow rates.

Could be. I am going to send them back and have them rebuilt for a spare set. I had no coolant change like I just experienced when I installed them 6 years ago. There was no change at all then.  But in the 6 years they have been in there I have seen a slow increase in my running temps. I was running 170 to 175 when they were new to about 184 cruising at the time of the swap.