• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Opti-lube xl and xdp

• Staff
1 hour ago, dripley said:

That was oil from from the leaking front engine seal. If you would come by you could help me fix them.

I just did mine on the 12 valve. Came out good cause engine front is clean and no more drips. Today is new/rebuilt turbo day for the old girl..

You got a spot for a camper?

4 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

:lmao:

Ummm... EGR all you doing is flooding the air mixture with CO2. Everyone is so wrap up with cold air having denser charge of oxygen but then accept the idea of EGR pump exhaust gases and CO2 back in the intake. Then you got to have the EGR cooler to make sure the intake temps do get out of hand.  (sarcasm) Yeah, EGR is such a great device every truck needs one! (/sarcasm)

EGRhttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exhaust_gas_recirculation

Nicely packed up intake on a 6.7L Cummins...

Image result for cleaning out intake manifold egr cummins

Electronics look at the 2003 and up Dodge's you'll see the multi-injection event is not as efficient and also the timing it heavily retarded. So there is no extra power really here. They managed to take a million mile engine and turn it into a about 200-300k mile engine that is completely wore out. 

After doing a full delete on 6.7L and see the results. I can tell you all you newer electronics and EGR is not helping the engine in any way. Being the deleted truck has way more power and ran much cleaner without the EGR and DPF

So with all the losses of the newer electronics and EGR more loss of fuel BTU's... I really don't see how high cetane fuel will gain you anything...

I definitely don't like all the new electronics and EGRs and such. Seems to only limit/restrict the engine, but you have to be "environmentally conscious" now a days, which is just another reason I'll keep my 2nd gen as long as possible. 

I was only asking because it seems more wide spread with the newer diesel guys that they think cetane boosters and the like were more designed and function better on the newer diesels.  

8 hours ago, JAG1 said:

I just did mine on the 12 valve. Came out good cause engine front is clean and no more drips. Today is new/rebuilt turbo day for the old girl..

You got a spot for a camper?

As long as my beast is not in the driveway. I have no electric rock, just a plug.

• Staff

Just replaced water pump too while in there. Next to clean the intercooler if I can get the grill off. Then drop the tank find air leak on that ol' first gen.

Be nice to make it out your way sometime Dave.

• Owner
9 hours ago, notlimah said:

I was only asking because it seems more wide spread with the newer diesel guys that they think cetane boosters and the like were more designed and function better on the newer diesels.  

All I can say is if cetane booster are the hot ticket they must love the winter diesel when its cranked up to 50-55 cetane then. I've driven over 4,000 miles last month still running winter 50 cetane fuels. Here is my last month fuel logs. I'll be so glad to see summer fuel when it drops back down to 40-43 cetane locally. Then I'll pop back up in MPG's.

feb fuel logs.jpg

All I can say is I've watched a truck dyno on strictly #2 diesel fuel. Then added a popular name brand cetane booster. Then dyno'ed again the results were roughly about -30 HP reduction in power. This test was done on a strictly stock truck. So cetane booster does not add HP/TQ just like I quoted out the ASTM labs...

On 3/3/2017 at 7:34 PM, Mopar1973Man said:

Increase in cetane number over values actually required does not materially improve engine performance.

Somewhere in my notes and article I found the Cummins requirement for cetane and its 40-43 in the summer and 45-47 cetane in the winter.

Edited by Mopar1973Man

I ran diesel kleen in mine for about 3 or 4 months and noticed no difference in the how the truck performed. I did notice a quieter engine almost immediately and  a touch of an mpg increase on the highway, kind of hard to say on that.