• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Real Jake brake

• Staff

But the question wasn't how much retarding hp was needed, it was asking if one existed. :-)

I too have adequate retarding hp for most of my loads and descents, and even when the EB isn't quite enough it sure doesn't take a lot of service brake to help it out. 6-8% grades at 20Klbs and I can hold 55-60 with minimal service brakes so I'm quite happy. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, dripley said:

I hate this whole thread. My exhaust brake quit working the day it started. It is a Banks Brake and I hope dealing with them for a fix is as quick as dealing with them on a sale. Who freaking knows.

Sorry 

10 minutes ago, Dieselfuture said:

I have a BD eb and seems to work good, but can't compare to others. 

An honest answer is so rare..... :thumbup2:

How many people actually drive the same truck with different EB models/brands to ever have any real apples to apples comparisons.  Most just have whatever EB their truck came with from the PO, or have the only EB they've ever had because no one is going to purchase more than one $1000+ part just because. :think:

• Like 2

The banks is the only one I have ever had and as mentioned above I do not know how it compares to others. I have always been happy with it until stopped working. I am looking for a replacement actuator for now. Seems everything else is working properly. I did take a look at the pac brake. That sucker is near $1400. That is definitely not in the budget for now. 

• Staff

When I had a stock cam and a drive pressure gauge I would monitor back pressure with the EB

The fixed orifice brake on my truck will be similar to all fixed orifice brakes as they all need to maintain 60 psi. I was able to build 60 psi around 1800 rpms, meaning that from 1800-redline they will all be about the same, fixed or variable. 

The PXRB has the advantage on back pressure below 1800, as does the BD variable brake, but the low rpms will reduce the retarding hp as well. 

Some anti-Jacobs advertisements claim a huge reduction at elevation and while I saw small backpressure reduction it wasn't anything remarkable. 

Now that I have a bigger cam I would actually lose retarding hp by switching to a PXRB, but I wouldn't mind ditching the belt driven vac pump. 

Edited by AH64ID