• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

trreed's upgrade thread

It's already too late for me Nick... Oh, and I've been fully infected with Tyler's Curse, and it can and does extend to other vehicles...  A buddy and I drove his new F150 from NJ to CO this weekend and as soon as I started driving the CEL came on.  This is a 2015 truck with 28,xxx miles on it btw....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, trreed said:

Ok @jlbayes.  Another turbo question for you.  I found a complete Crazy Carl's compound pipe set for $460 (Tyler is currently holding it hostage).  Now I'm looking at primary turbos.  Currently planning on running a box 475, but thinking about getting a 1.15 a/r housing to help low end since I'm planning on keeping the 7x0.0095 injectors for a while.  Thoughts?

I paid for it, I drove an 2 hours to get it home (In a truck that gets horrible mileage), and it's sitting in my 5 gallon bucket. Sounds to me like Tyler has a compound kit for sale :wink: 

2 hours ago, Me78569 said:

stop now before it is too late.  :) 

It's too late. The truck I bought had the DPF replaced at 2k miles :lol: 

2 hours ago, Me78569 said:

should we start a support group?

We need a whole forum section for members who have come in contact with me / my vehicles. All could be contaminated!

35 minutes ago, trreed said:

Sweet.  Any favorite suppliers?  eBay has a plethora of s475's four around $630 but the question of genuineness comes about.

I price shop like a mofo. I would not buy anything from ebay tho unless you know the seller. Chinese knock offs 98% of the time.

17 minutes ago, TFaoro said:

We need a whole forum section for members who have come in contact with me / my vehicles. All could be contaminated!

Imagine if our trucks got near each other.....

mmm so reputable suppliers it is! Oddly enough, it seems like Crazy Carl has the best price on it.

27 minutes ago, jlbayes said:

Imagine if our trucks got near each other.....

You stay up there.

Edited by trreed

1 hour ago, trreed said:

Ooooo Iowa City, right Nick?  I was just there yesterday too.

What are you doing in iowa city don't mind me asking. I too killed a lot of brain cells down there. But that's all in my past life. No regrets though. Just happy I've never got into anything crazy. 

So you're going to use your 62/68/12 as primary and s475 secondary. What exactly is the purpose of it, to have more boost, is it more consistent, higher psi, is it still going to spool as fast as your primary can spool. Is primarys boost plumbed into secondary exhaust and that's how s475 gets spooled. I kinda have an idea but never looked into it that hard. Yeah I just woke up. ... literally 

The naming is switched, so the 475 is the primary turbo and the 362 is the secondary one. The exhaust spools he secondary first (as it's mounted on the manifold) and then through the primary and out the exhaust. 

Boost goes the opposite way, the s475 compresses atomospheric air and then sends the already compressed air into the secondary, which compresses it again and sends it to the intercooler. 

As for benefits, it flows air like you have a gigantic single and it creates a hell of a lot of torque. I went with a slightly tighter housing on a box s475 for midrange response while still retaining the large exhaust wheel for performance. 

@jlbayes did I say it all right?

• Like 1

This is how they're plumbed.

Twin_Turbo_V1_2.png

And this is kinda a crude drawing of the advantage of compounds.  Red is a small turbo, Blue is a large turbo, and purple are compounds.  You can see that the compounds don't spool quite as well as the secondary (small turbo) and don't flow quite as well as the primary (large turbo), but the broad RPM band and being able to keep the turbos in there efficiency range is the advantage.Power_Graph.png

• Thanks 3

Thanks, I'll read it few more times and maybe watch some videos about it to fully get it. I thought just upgrading my hx35 to hybrid was good but more I look into it more I'm thinking about compounds. But have so many other places I need to spend money on. Maybe I'll come across a used setup if I knew what I need.