• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

So here's another question, what is considered stock stall speed? I've seen multiple different answers, some say 1600 while others say 2300, is there any really way to tell?

Also wouldn't it make sense that if I have say a stall speed 2-300rpm lower then stock and then increase my hp/tq numbers that that number would increase?

On 3/24/2017 at 10:10 PM, CSM said:

Last note, I have had an intermittent lockup hunting problem that I haven't yet found the fix for.  The low stall converter is much less violent than a high stall when it moves in and out of lockup.

have you started a thread about this? Or when you say intermittent is it based on humidity?

17 hours ago, notlimah said:

So here's another question, what is considered stock stall speed? I've seen multiple different answers, some say 1600 while others say 2300, is there any really way to tell?

Also wouldn't it make sense that if I have say a stall speed 2-300rpm lower then stock and then increase my hp/tq numbers that that number would increase?

Stock when accelerating i saw 2,100 rpms regardless of how hard i put my foot into the throttle, not sure if this helps.

• Owner
17 hours ago, notlimah said:

is there any really way to tell?

Yes. Power brake the transmission the point at which the transmission starts pulling on the drivetrain  at it max rpm is the stall point in the basic sense. I'm pretty sure you'll have a tough time doing this. Old school method of checking stall speed.

Edited by Mopar1973Man

6 hours ago, pepsi71ocean said:

have you started a thread about this? Or when you say intermittent is it based on humidity?

I havent started a thread.  It comes and goes.

6 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Yes. Power brake the transmission the point at which the transmission starts pulling on the drivetrain  at it max rpm is the stall point in the basic sense. I'm pretty sure you'll have a tough time doing this. Old school method of checking stall speed.

This is true, but if you exceed the stall speed and lock up the tc you risk destroying the TC, and or snapping shafts, just hope you have a billet input shaft, because when they let loose they usually take out the TC and the transmission pump with it.

• Owner
31 minutes ago, pepsi71ocean said:

but if you exceed the stall speed and lock up the tc you risk destroying the TC, and or snapping shafts, just hope you have a billet input shaft, because when they let loose they usually take out the TC and the transmission pump with it.

I'm not saying mat the throttle to the floor to test it. Like even in my 96 Dodge 1500 it extremely difficult to do being the tires let go before you reach the stall speed. Like the older 727 transmissions you could do this fairly easy back in the day. 

Edited by Mopar1973Man

21 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

I'm not saying mat the throttle to the floor to test it. Like even in my 96 Dodge 1500 it extremely difficult to do being the tires let go before you reach the stall speed. Like the older 727 transmissions you could do this fairly easy back in the day. 

I agree.  It will give you an idea, similar to if you floor it off the line.  The RPM at which you really start to feel the push and stop seeing your RPM rapidly change is your stall at that load.  

Stall changes with load, engine RPM, and engine/trans differential RPM.  

Edited by CSM

On 3/24/2017 at 5:23 PM, notlimah said:

Sorry if I was coming off in a way that said you should feel differently about your experience. Completely understand your point and value your opinion.

I was just trying to point out that it seems weird that trans builders and recommending one thing and then guys are running it with sub satisfactory results.

Maybe it's just 100% user based opinion and subjectivity regardless of whatever 'the right way' is. Or maybe just an expectation that isn't realistic given the setups? I don't really know as I'm still on a stock trans but in a couple months I'll have a different opinion so I'll chime in with first hand experience then.

Again, sorry if I came across like I was trying to tell you your experience should've been any different then it was. :thumb1:

It is hard to convey tone across text. Dynamic argued with me before on how my truck was behaving. Do not take it personally. :cheers:

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Me78569 said:

quit getting along and understanding each other....this is an internet forum and we have no room for that behavior

oh wait...

No you guys are good hahah 

This isn't bookface.....

• Like 3