• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Lock up switch

So I know that the lockup switch is a pretty well discussed topic but I was wondering. For those that have the switch either momentary or constant, do you see any benefit to having the option to use either one? For instance, I was thinking of having a momentary foot peddle switch up by the parking brake and another on/off switch on my console somewhere for times where I would want to keep it on and not have to hold the foot switch down.

Good? bad? dumb? pointless? genius?!

personally I can't be trusted to use a constant switch, i simply do not remember to switch it off.

Try this for a week.  

As soon as you get in the truck turn od off.  Then drive around trying to remember that when you hit ~45 mph you should enable od.  

Do you remember to do it each time?  I don't...not even %50 of the time.  

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, notlimah said:

Yea I hear ya. I guess I'm more thinking about how often I'll be sitting there holding that switch and be like 'man I wish I could just flip this on and be done holding it!' 

meh the only time I ever use mine is towing in 2nd to accelerate, in which case my hand is already on the shifter  ( where my lockup button is) 

Or 

using the EB, in which cause I am again holding the stick and disabling OD / selecting 2nd.

Gotcha. I think if anything I'll go with a momentary foot switch to start and go from there. If I don't like it I can always change it up.

As far as wiring it up at the PCM, did you just splice into the B11 wire with a connector or did you solder it?

5 hours ago, notlimah said:

For those that have the switch either momentary or constant, do you see any benefit to having the option to use either one?

I think that there is a definite benefit to having a momentary switch on the floor by the park brake.  Just make sure the switch has a  low profile and that it is durable and can be activated with light foot pressure.

I had this setup on my 99 truck for 70,000 miles and I liked it very well.  I used the lock-up feature in 3rd and 4th.  With a little practice you can have smooth, quick manual upshifts from 3rd locked up to 4th locked up (unlocked during the shift)  Once up to speed the floor switch no longer needs to be activated,  but if you are accelerating after a curve or you are cresting a hill and don't want a downshift to occur you can just step on the switch and pour on the power without an unwanted downshift.

Also, if you are pulling a grade in 4th gear and it is inevitable that a downshift will be needed,  you can keep your foot on the switch and pull hard until the shift is required.  Then ease up on the throttle, manually downshift while simultaneously releasing the foot switch and then quickly activate the foot switch when the  converter locks up in 3rd gear.  Again with a little practice you will find the shifting will be smooth.

The foot switch can also be used to keep the converter locked up going down a grade, thus giving you a little hold-back power.

When I had my 99 truck my foot switch (wired in series with a throttle switch) also operated an exhaust brake - a great combination.

- John

• Like 1

Thanks for the insight there John! I think between yours and Nick's experience with the momentary switch I'll go the same route.

Lucky for me I've recently had my trans built so I am able to lock the converter in any gear I'd like and have the luxury of locked 3rd-4th and 4th-3rd shifts. Not to sure I'll ever find the need to lock the converter in 2nd (or 1st! :stuned:) but it's nice to have the option if needed. 

John I believe it was your post I read mentioning the foot pedal switch so thanks again for that idea!

Did you guys just splice into the wire with a plug or solder a new wire in?

I like my constant switch. Have used them for literally years. The vbs are totally different between the two trucks. White truck, lock in 3rd and leave until I stop. Useless stock converter. Green truck, lock in 2nd. That vb will let me do lock down shifts. Which is hella fun but DO NOT recommend it unless your trans can take it.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, notlimah said:

Did you guys just splice into the wire with a plug or solder a new wire in?

I removed the insulation from the PCM wire and soldered in the wire that I added.  I brushed on a couple of coats of liquid electrical tape for water proofing and finished with regular electrical tape. I actually ran the added wire through a relay to a good ground contact and wired the foot switch to operate the relay.  This step probably wasn't necessary, but I wanted to keep the tapped PCM wire separate from the foot switch wiring to protect the PCM from any possible unwanted electrical voltage.

Let us know how everything turns out.

- John

• Like 1

• Staff

IBM set me up with a foot switch that Will stay locked on until I hit it again. He put another switch on the Shifter that when you hit it stays locked in till you hit the brakes.

Dang I forgot the foot switch was locked on and almost stalled the truck in a left turn. Put me in a panic not knowing what was wrong with the truck since I forgot.. Hope I did not hurt it. Anyhow I'm getting in the habit with both.

Edited by JAG1
  • Like 1

• Staff

nice Website IBM. When you click 'SERVICES' the pic comes up with you working down in the engine. Need to have a bear with his head sticking out from under the car. lol