• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Head gasket leaking oil

• Owner

Holset Hx35w 57mm billet compressor wheel 14cm Gated ex housing Towing power for Your 5.9 cummins

:think: Ok... Slightly bigger compressor (+3mm over stock). Unknown on the turbine size. 14cm2 housing better exhaust flow. I'm going to say this might be slightly laggy. My 60/60/12 HX35/40W is bit laggy on just stock injectors and Quadzilla untapped. I would consider 62/68/12 turbo before the one posted.

Edited by Mopar1973Man

33 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

I'm still OEM assembled engine yet. Head has never been removed. 308k miles are rolling 

When you do get the head off make sure to do your guides, about 10 of mine were pretty bad and oveled out holes. Rest of them were like new but they did them all. 

The only other turbo that would be a drop in is the s300g. I am not a huge fan of the modified factory "cheater" chargers that would be drop in as well. North American Turbo Systems is about the only one I would consider using.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mopar1973Man said:

:think: Ok... Slightly bigger compressor (+3mm over stock). Unknown on the turbine size. 14cm2 housing better exhaust flow. I'm going to say this might be slightly laggy. My 60/60/12 HX35/40W is bit laggy on just stock injectors and Quadzilla untapped. I would consider 62/68/12 turbo before the one posted.

What do you think of k27 that I'm about to order.

https://dieselautopower.com/borg-warner-k27-turbocharger-53279880001/

Mike never mind, I see you already answered my question, I must of miss read it at first 

Edited by Dieselfuture

52 minutes ago, TFaoro said:

I though this was a different reason.... ;)

Nope, I slipped off the radiator as it was close to 18 ft lbs and I jerked the wrench. Over tightened, like I told you before. 

4 minutes ago, trreed said:

Nope, I slipped off the radiator as it was close to 18 ft lbs and I jerked the wrench. Over tightened, like I told you before. 

I went 250 in/lb on the first set I did it's about 21ft/lb because that's where my in/lb torque wrench maxes out and I wasn't sure if I need to go 18 or 27

2 hours ago, trreed said:

Torque is 18 ft lbs on rockers. If you go more, you can run the risk of the threads pulling out of the head (ask me how I know)

I went 8/18 on valve lash, as it quiets the motor down just a touch more.

For TDC, the front cover has a little "TDC" stamped right above the breather.  Unscrew the vent, and the VP gear has a line scored into the gear itself.  Just line that gear up perfectly vertically pointing at the TDC stamp and you're at TDC.  Moving the gear 180* so the line is pointing vertically to the bottom and you're at BDC and can do the other 6 rockers.

I use the alternator to rotate it, just be careful to not accidentally loosen the alternator nut.  From the front, the crankshaft spins clockwise, so turn the alternator CCW.   

No ill effects of turning the VP backwards either.

I knew about the TDC and btc marks when I adjusted valves few times, I was mainly curious if there is a good way of telling when you're on TDC going through firing order to torque rocker arm assembly. As I already put injectors in I can't wach for piston to come up to make sure I'm tdc. On v8s I can mark damper in 4 sections and that would tell me tdc going through firing order but since it's a straight 6 didn't know if there is a way to to do it by marking damper.

1 hour ago, jlbayes said:

The only other turbo that would be a drop in is the s300g. I am not a huge fan of the modified factory "cheater" chargers that would be drop in as well. North American Turbo Systems is about the only one I would consider using.

We'll I hate you and I love you, was just about to buy k27 and decided to give North American Turbo Systems a call, and after talking to Zach I'm now sending them my turbo and getting it built to 62/67/12 with a different turbine and machined exhaust housing. About $800. He says it will support up to 500hp and spool quick with manageable egts, especially wit the quad and v2 tunning. I also asked about k27 and he said that compressor is only 58 and not 60 like dap is advertising. So once I found that out no need to spend 1000 bucks on misadvertising and little gain. He says that a lot of times companys advertise size of housing and not wheel to make it sound better. I thought it was already on the border of being to small but would give me a 100hp bump I'll be ok, but I don't think it will do that. Zach wasn't trying to fill me full of shi. So he gets my business. I also told him you and this great site is what led me there.

Thank you again. 

Edited by Dieselfuture

4 minutes ago, jlbayes said:

Zach is good people. One of the few turbo shops I will send people to. I am trying to decide if I wanna send him one of my he351s to fix up for my 12v lol.

And to top it off he'll start building it now and ship it to me so I have it by end of week and I'll send him my core, that was a bonus. So I get to keep bearing housing that I just put a kit in so my buddy will have something to work with too. His gonna use a new bearing housing so no need for mine, I'll just send him compressor and exhaust housings.

Or maybe even see what they charge for core might just keep what I have and just pay core price.

Edited by Dieselfuture

21 hours ago, jlbayes said:

Zach is good people. One of the few turbo shops I will send people to. I am trying to decide if I wanna send him one of my he351s to fix up for my 12v lol.

Do it with a VE!!

21 hours ago, Dieselfuture said:

And to top it off he'll start building it now and ship it to me so I have it by end of week and I'll send him my core, that was a bonus. So I get to keep bearing housing that I just put a kit in so my buddy will have something to work with too. His gonna use a new bearing housing so no need for mine, I'll just send him compressor and exhaust housings.

Or maybe even see what they charge for core might just keep what I have and just pay core price.

Do you know if they use the factory size shaft?

Edited by TFaoro

19 minutes ago, TFaoro said:

What about the one that you left loose and randomly ripped the threads out a couple days later?

Do it with a VE!!

I just asked him about that and I believe  yes, he said bigger turbos use like hx40 and few other ones I couldn't remember use same shaft too. He said for what I'm doing he wouldn't worry about it. Now what you need for 1000hp that's a different story :whistle2:

I'm keeping my core since I just rebuild it, they charge 100 bucks, well worth it to me as a complete turbo and not just bearing housing with guts.

So as I mentioned above I'm going with North American Turbo Systems and having them build me a 62/67/12 with 6 blade compressor and I believe he said 14 blade turbine. What difference would it be between that and say 62/65/12 @jlbayes @TFaoro

Edited by Dieselfuture
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TFaoro said:

Do it with a VE!!

Really gonna start calling you Nick....

Yes they are. Factory holset parts.

1 hour ago, Dieselfuture said:

So as I mentioned above I'm going with North American Turbo Systems and having them build me a 62/67/12 with 6 blade compressor and I believe he said 14 blade turbine. What difference would it be between that and say 62/65/12 @jlbayes @TFaoro

Minor spool up differences. Still going to support about the same hp level. Only thing I am not sure on is if he ports the housing. Like the entry and into the nozzle area.

5 minutes ago, jlbayes said:

Minor spool up differences. Still going to support about the same hp level. Only thing I am not sure on is if he ports the housing. Like the entry and into the nozzle area.

He said they do port compressor and exhaust housings unless I misunderstood. I told him I had 75hp injectors and qwad he thought 62/67/12 would work good, but I was just reading other forms and there are people with some tater built 62/65/12 that people like. I need to quit reading and have a beer.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, dripley said:

Or 12!!

No kidding,  I was so close on buying k27 but they said it was 60 and it's 58 compressor wheel, that turned me down. This place sound like they know what they're doing and he was very helpful in answering my questions and said that 62/67/12 would work very good compare to k27. They had a few they rebuilt in past, from some Mercedes and said they are ok but won't flow like what I'm getting,  and I get to keep my exhaust brake and my old turbo too.

24 minutes ago, jlbayes said:

Really gonna start calling you Nick....

Yes they are. Factory holset parts.

You might as well! Nick did all of the leg work, you just have to bolt it on and let Nick's code do its magic!

What's the shaft size differences between the hx35 and S300's?

19 minutes ago, Dieselfuture said:

He said they do port compressor and exhaust housings unless I misunderstood. I told him I had 75hp injectors and qwad he thought 62/67/12 would work good, but I was just reading other forms and there are people with some tater built 62/65/12 that people like. I need to quit reading and have a beer.

Just stay away from anything "Tater". I'm not sure what the geometry differences between the 65 and 67 wheels, but I highly doubt spool is much different.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dieselfuture said:

I would listen to what Zach says over any taterbomb info around.

57 minutes ago, TFaoro said:

You might as well! Nick did all of the leg work, you just have to bolt it on and let Nick's code do its magic!

What's the shaft size differences between the hx35 and S300's?

Just stay away from anything "Tater". I'm not sure what the geometry differences between the 65 and 67 wheels, but I highly doubt spool is much different.

12v is getting compounds....NO VE. Nick.

4 minutes ago, jlbayes said:

12v is getting compounds....NO VE. Nick.

Compound VE turbos.... Fastest spooling compounds ever.

I need to find a junker 12v and have nick help me make compound VEs.

Edited by TFaoro