• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

• Staff
30 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

All I'm going to say is there is no issues with my transmission and working just fine. All the specs and stuff is just muddying the water Mobil is a GL-4 fluid and is not causing harm period. Syncro are not falling apart. My bearing are not grinding away.  

The requirements for the NV4500 is a Synthetic GL-4 fluid 75w-85

Impressive...... 

Yes, the specs are muddying the water.... not the guy posting misinformation.  

• Owner

@AH64ID and me have gone rounds about specs on this fluid the last comment I will to concede to was I need more mileage. Being I've about ready to cross 50k miles on this fluid no issues I would say there is nothing wrong with using this a suitable transmission fluid. It is a synthetic GL-4 transmission fluid that is slightly thicker than the 75w-85 factory supplied. The big scare about straying from factory specss was the syncros falling apart due to wrong gear lube. Well the truth be told there was changes to the Mopar fluid because of the gear teeth temperatures hence why the fluid was changed up. Yes I've done my study work as well about GL rating and why the change in Mopar Fluids. 

Edited by Mopar1973Man

11 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

That page was changed since I did my research one year ago. The page was much much different 1 year ago. As for what I bought IS RATED for GL-4. 

Now tell me its not GL-4 rated!!! The bucket is CLEARLY marked GL-4.

DSCF4230.JPG

DSCF4231.JPG

I love pictures!!

Question, is that oil still made though? The only stuff I've found does not have the GL-4 rating. It's very possible they've changed the formula and it no longer meets the specs for GL-4.

• Like 1

• Owner

It's still made Mobil's web site is changed. Mobil still be provided nation wide. Valvoline produces the very same 50 SAE fluid but a bit lower price than Mobil and yes its also a GL-4 rated API gear lube as well. I can purchase the Valvoline at my local NAPA store for the $139 a 5 gallon bucket. 

The only difference is that the SAE lube is going to be a bit thicker in the winter time cold. Being the 50 weight is actually the high end of the 90 weight gear lube. Since I been through a full winter driving back and forth to Boise every other day at -35*F I can say without a doubt there is NO problems with winter time usage nor is there any shifting issues. (Every Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday run to Boise, ID 362 miles round trip)

Image result for viscosity chart

Edited by Mopar1973Man

• Staff

I don't know if this will help this discussion but my Getrag 5 speed trans went over 400,000 with regular 30 weight non detergent oil. I changed it about every 100,000. Source automotive could not believe how many miles I got on that trans before a rebuild.

Edited by JAG1

Valvoline does not meet the spec though-- From the site

Advantages of Valvoline Heavy Duty Synthetic Transmission Fluid SAE 50 include:

• Improved cold weather shift ability and quicker lubrication of transmission components.

• Longer seal life due to fewer deposits, better seal compatibility and improved high temperature properties.

• Increased thermal stability and reduced component deposits.

• Reduced component wear and deposits lead to longer transmission and lubricant service life.

• Operational benefits such as the potential for fuel economy and reduced downtime maintenance.

• Allows extended warranty coverage (750,000 miles) at Eaton and Rockwell International.

• Meets the requirements of Rockwell International 0-81, Eaton Transmission Division PS-081 & PS-164 REV 7, and API MT-1.

• Meets the requirements of Volvo 97305-89, and can be used in Volvo I-Shift transmissions at the standard drain intervals.  

Source:

https://www.grainger.com/ec/pdf/4NPV1_1.pdf

From what you've posted, the oil you actually have might be meeting the spec, but given the data about the oil currently made it does not meet the spec.

Like I said, recommending the oil isn't a problem, we just need to make sure anyone who looks at this knows the facts about the oils (which includes what specs they do and do not meet.)

Edited by TFaoro

• Owner

It does you got to look at the actual bucket. These pages are not telling the full truth. I've already looked at the Valvoline brand 50 SAE fluid and it does meet the spec on the bucket will also show GL-4. I don't rely on hype of spec pages I look at the actual product and like I shown on my bucket it label GL-4 and so is Valvoline the last time I checked in McCall Idaho NAPA store. 

Edited by Mopar1973Man

• Staff

Very interesting label Michael. 

I do know that 14 months ago when you first posted about this fluid the website was the same it is now and it did NOT meet GL-4 specs. I also found the 2014 PDS and it also only shows MT-1. So I have to ask, how old is your fluid?

http://petroleumservicecompany.com/content/pdfs/MOBIL_DELVAC_SYNTHETIC_TRANSMISSION_FLUID_50_PDS.pdf

I'll go out on a limb and say that the label is mislabeled, but that's just a hunch. I've seen more mislabeled products than I have seen wrong product data sheets. It seems it takes more QA on a printed label. Since it talks about a GL-4 recommendation on the PDS I can see where the monkey making the labels could easily mislabel it. 

• Staff
16 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

I doubt it...

Yeah I'll agree because the fact you can't believe its GL-4 rated. 

That's because I base my opinion on fact. 

So I just got off the phone with Mobil. The product is not mislabeled, nor is it GL-4 rated.  

Here's the deal. Just like the website, the bucket does not state that it is actually API GL-4 rated. Mobil also backs this statement up, it is ONLY API rated to meet the MT-1 specification. 

The engineer stated that while it is not a GL-4 rated fluid it works very well in GL-4 applications, as you have found in your NV4500

He said that it could possibly pass GL-4 testing/certification with API and become rated, but he wasn't 100% sure on that either. 

The fluid has not gone under any revisions, so what is in your bucket is the same as it is on the current published PDS and what is currently on the shelf. 

I did specifically ask if it was a mislabel and he said no and stated that "meets or exceeds" is not a API rating and just a manufacturer claim. So not mislabeled, but since we are having this discussion I will say that it is misleading. 

Bottom line is that it's not a Gl-4 rated fluid, as we have been discussing for over a year, but it should work well for you. Words mean things and that has been my point since last May. 

Edited by AH64ID

• Staff
10 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Looks like API SERVICE is labeled clear enough...

DSCF4231.JPG

There is the misleading part. 

Mobil very clearly stated that the phrase on the label DOES NOT indicate that it carries the rating. 

Not sure how else to explain it when you don't want to listen to the manufacturer. 

Que the dead horse...

Mobil Delvac Synthetic Transmission Fluid 50 ONLY carries the API MT-1 rating, period... end of story. 

It is recommended and suitable for GL-4 applications, but it does NOT carry the rating. 

Words mean things....

Edited by AH64ID

• Owner

Funny I never have seen the words... 

8 minutes ago, AH64ID said:

It is recommended and suitable for GL-4 applications

...anywhere on the label.

I still see on the label Meets or exceeds the following industry or builder specifications. Like you said...

46 minutes ago, AH64ID said:

The product is not mislabeled

• Staff

meets or exceeds DOES NOT mean rated, not only in plain English but also in what the manufacturer states. 

NOWHERE on the label does it say GL-4 rated, NOWHERE period (except your false statements) does it list this fluid as being rated GL-4. 

This is a lost cause. The facts are here in black and white, but we cannot make you understand them if you're unwilling to. 

Edited by AH64ID

• Staff

I don't see "rated" ANYWHERE... and neither does Mobil. 

Words mean things... 

You're not going to find the words rated GL-4 anywhere because it simply isn't rated for it. That's a fact and it's time to stop ignoring facts to make your opinions...

I realize you have backed too far down your hole to admit the facts, so just do us all a favor and stop. Stop arguing the facts and stop claiming Mobil Delvac Synthetic Transmission Fluid 50 is a GL-4 rated fluid. There is too much misinformation out there already. 

Nobody is arguing that it won't work well for you in the NV4500. It's simply not rated for it, but Mobil does recommend it and it should work well.  That's a fact. 

Edited by AH64ID