• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Custom Quadzilla Tuning R & D Thread

Me78569

Yes, the quad is %100 in control of fueling and timing the result is what I have posted in the videos.     If you put the truck to oem tuning there is no way I could haul my horse trailer. I would have serious EGT issues and serious smoke issues hauling it up the mountain.    

The kicker is there really isn't much power difference in the truck offidle, with stock tuning and my quadzilla tune starting at %35 lower than oem fueling command.    Key is that there is just too much fuel offidle with the 7 x .012's to not flood the turbo if you go WOT.

• Like 1

Here's some towing info video with teh 7 x .012

I hooked up to the trailer this morning,  empty weight is somewhere in the #5500 to #6000 area.  I didn't see any difference compared to towing it with the 7 x .009's in terms of heat.  MY tow tune on the 7 x .009's smoked more than my daily tune with the 7 x .012's but again the 7 x .012's tune puts down more power. 

Did a %100 throttle low rpm climbing a grade to see if I could force a heat issue.    heres the log. 

towinglug.PNG

Highest EGT I could get was ~1200*f

I did a %50 throttle take off to ~60 mph.   WAY WAY WAY more throttle than I would every use with a horse in the back.    Here's the video and the log for that.

Log

0-60towing.PNG
Video

Here's some testing on the Boost Defueling stuff when running these big injectors.  Backdown % goes pretty high, but EGT's and boost stay stable even when I go WOT at the end of the graph.

22 psi limit.PNG

Edited by Me78569

This morning I wanted to get some logs of Drive Pressure changes based on timing changes.  I plugged my fuel pressure pigtail into my drive pressure sensor and started logging.  

Did some 0-60 WOT runs with the vanes set to normal and vanes set to 18cm^2  did some 35 mph locked pulls with vanes at 18^cm2 logging it all.  half the runs with 5* of ttiming reduction and half with 2.5* of reduction.

Came back started looking through the logs and remembered that I am running a debug version of the code on the ADR...which does not allow for TPS reduction to work DOH!!  

burned 3 gallons of fuel logging to get nothing lol.....  at least I found that I am running 1:1.4 bost to drive ratio with the turbo on it's "race tune" and 1:1.2 with the turbo in eco mode once in 4th.  DP climbs some in the upper end, but so would boost if I had some more load.   anyways 

Turbo tune in "race mode"

0-60racevanes.PNG

Turbo in ecomode

0-60ecomode.PNG

I wouldn't call the drive pressures out of control in my current setup.  my daily turbo tune is somewhere in the middle of the above.  closer to race than eco.  

RegardlessI am gonna make my debug mode work with tps reduction so I can get the timing reduction changes logged so maybe we can see if pulling timing in high throttle low boost situtations helps or not.  

Alright here are the logs, not much to report hahah.

lines labeled 5* is the run with a full 5* of timing Reduction 2.5* is the 2.5* reduction

you can see EGT's vs DP vs timing 

I might need to open the vanes more to try and prevent spooling.  

timingreduct.PNG

• 3 weeks later...

@AH64ID

Question I have been meaning to ask, but keep forgetting

If you were to magically set all conditions static except rpm,  how much timing increase do you need to add per 500 rpm increase to keep the combustion event at the same point in time related to tdc?

@kzimmer notice any difference in your trucks ablitly to start in the cold with pop set at 340 bar?

Side note, I adjusted my turbo vane position some in the 65,000 rpm to 105,000 rpm area to get rid of some mid throttle barking.     DP is down about 5 psi on the top end.  My race curve is sitting at 1.42 DP to B ratio,  EGTS are very happy and power is great.  

0-65newcurve.PNG

Edited by Me78569

8 hours ago, Me78569 said:

@kzimmer notice any difference in your trucks ablitly to start in the cold with pop set at 340 bar?

For some reason it seems to start better. My pops were pretty unbalanced before though, at anywhere from 285 to 315 bar. Thanks Wilkinson Diesel in Regina, SK. Before, I noticed some stumbling, although it always started OK. Now, it still starts great, and has less white smoke during warmup. There seems to be one quick stumble at first fire, which I think is normal, and then everything is smooth. It hasn't gotten colder than about -10°C yet, so I guess we'll see what -25° is like.

I am going to buy a shim kit from DAP and possibly some new nozzles if I can work up the courage to click the button lol. And then I'm thinking of pushing a little higher than 340 bar. Maybe 360. I only have seat of pants, nothing recorded. But I do know that I *see* less smoke from 0 - 8 psi or so, and I've upped my canbus starting point by 3% so far. So is it atomizing better and is acting more efficient, or am I just netting less fuel because of the higher pop? Or is it the effect on retarding timing? So many questions, so little time.

15 hours ago, kzimmer said:

For some reason it seems to start better. My pops were pretty unbalanced before though, at anywhere from 285 to 315 bar. Thanks Wilkinson Diesel in Regina, SK. Before, I noticed some stumbling, although it always started OK. Now, it still starts great, and has less white smoke during warmup. There seems to be one quick stumble at first fire, which I think is normal, and then everything is smooth. It hasn't gotten colder than about -10°C yet, so I guess we'll see what -25° is like.

I am going to buy a shim kit from DAP and possibly some new nozzles if I can work up the courage to click the button lol. And then I'm thinking of pushing a little higher than 340 bar. Maybe 360. I only have seat of pants, nothing recorded. But I do know that I *see* less smoke from 0 - 8 psi or so, and I've upped my canbus starting point by 3% so far. So is it atomizing better and is acting more efficient, or am I just netting less fuel because of the higher pop? Or is it the effect on retarding timing? So many questions, so little time.

This is the suspected reason why I wanted to toy with upping the pop pressure on my smarty truck. I suspect smoke control would benefit.

I dunno if you have spotted this yet when cranking, but our ecms ask for ~17* when cranking.   

in theory the line delay should be highest when cranking.  so the impact of pop pressure will also be highest.

very interesting thought.

17 minutes ago, Me78569 said:

I dunno if you have spotted this yet when cranking, but our ecms ask for ~17* when cranking.

Funny you mention that. Because I'm using an android head unit, it's still wired from factory and I lose power during cranking. So i've never seen starting data.

• 3 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, Me78569 said:

@kzimmer  any updates to report with the 330 bar pop presure?

340ish... haha. Regretfully, I haven't driven it a lot. Just on weekend errands. The wife has been driving it. The little bit of driving I have done, shows things are going very well. Smokes a little less in low PSI, just a nice haze if I beat on it. Spools quick, and seems to wake up a lot more at 2000-2500 RPM now as compared to before. Not sure I can explain that one. No negative effects whatsoever. One thing to note, is my cold starts have improved greatly. It was -25C the other morning and the truck wasn't plugged in overnight, as I was finishing my new receptacle that afternoon. It fired up like summer almost. I haven't had a diesel start that good in winter since I had my old 1st gen. The VW TDI cranked over about 3 times and the battery died, haha.

I may order a set of 7x.013 honed nozzles from DAP and bump it up to 360 bar. If these cheap nozzles run this much better with higher that factory pop pressures, I can't wait to see how a quality set does at 360 BAR.

When I'm happy with nozzles and pop pressure, I just may make it to the Dyno for some timing tuning and steady state logging in the new year.

Edited by kzimmer
Addition