• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

2000 ECU in a 1999 5.9L Cummings

Hi  All

I am trying to help my friend who just got his truck back form someone that borrowed it and returned it in less than IDEAL Condition. :(  1999 5.9L 2500 2WD

When you go start it (it will start) but then just REVS to very high RPM.   We were able to borrow another computer form a local 99 5.9L and it didn't do that and acted much better with the swapped ECU.

Locating an "affordable" part seems to be a pretty big issue.  I think I am able to locate a 2000 ECU for a fair price.  But form what I understand it will need to be programed by Someone to make it work with the 99 correctly!?    

Ebay Link:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1998-2002-DODGE-RAM-CUMMINS-DIESEL-ENGINE-COMPUTER-MODULE-ECM-PCM-ECU-/272616682493?hash=item3f793873fd:g:XswAAOSwd4tUJYs4&vxp=mtr

Can anyone help?

Thanks

Travis!

The ecm will need to be programed to match the application, Year > trans > federal or cali.  

IF the ebay place can do so  and their warranty is good then give it a go.  As far as I know we don't have a good place to get good ecm's from yet.  They are all a crap shoot.

I have a line on a 2000 ECU.... (Matches Transmission also)  I can her the truck run before i buy it.

My truck is definitely a true 99'.  So am I taking a risk on this 2000 ECU?

I could always have a helpful member on here reprogarm it if need be correct?  

Thanks for all the INSIGHT on this! :)

The ECU itself will work just fine with the right flash.  It will very likely work out of hte box if the truck is a true 00 with a cam and crank sensor.  

If does need a flash then bob at smarty can help flash it or the dealer can do it.   I have the flash files as well, but no way to flash at this point.  

Didn't want to start a new thread, so excuse me please. I found a parts truck that I'm thinking of getting few things like,  ecm, abs module, some misc stuff. ECM guy wants 400, abs 75, truck has 190k, it's a 6 speed like mine the difference is mine is 02 and this is 01, will ecm work? That's my main concern, I'd like to have a spear. Thank you. @Me78569 @Mopar1973Man

9 minutes ago, jlbayes said:

Not Nick or Mike but yes it will.

Sorry forgot to tag you plus wasn't sure since you got all mechanical, but thank you. I'm guessing it can at least be reprogrammed to work. I'm going to try and look at it tonight. Here is a link to craigslist, prices seem reasonable. 

https://quadcities.craigslist.org/pts/d/parting-out-01-cummins-24/6251933103.html