• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Morimoto HIDs Headlights in a 2nd Generation Dodge

I do agree with you because at least half the blinding headlights I encounter are older vehicles with the fluted lenses that cast light every where. Now ther was one that got behind me the other night. it was a very new Ford 2500 or up that had replaced his factory lights with what ever. He was behind me and I had to adjust all my mirrors off of him just to drive in front of him. He was lighting tree tops up in front of me.Then he was pissed I flipped him off even though he was blinding me from behind.

I have also noticed that most people will not flash someone with bright lights. I dont if I am not the leader of a pack but damn sure will if I am the one getting blinded.

• Owner

This why the choices of light is either HALOGEN or HID's. LED's are not a good answer yet till the reflector is designed properly for the LED bulbs. Being HID's are based on lens design there is no issues with using a 50w HID bulb and ballast the only loss is the upgrade there will shorten the bulb life. 

Like if you could stuff a 9007 in a 9004 housing the pattern would be wrong. 

9004vs9007.gif?resize=598,500

Just like looking at all the different LED headlight bulbs. The LEDs can be configured differently which will change the pattern of light off the reflector. This why the HID's are the best you can do because no reflector or fluting of the lens to mess up the pattern. The only version you can do is the H1 Mini's or D2S lens which D2S has a bigger path of light over the H1 Mini's.

Edited by Mopar1973Man

• 2 weeks later...

Forgive my ignorance, please. Can the ANZO USA 111196 lights be used with HID lights, or will the pattern be totally messed up because they're designed for halogen lights?

My issue is that I already purchased the Mirimoto electrical components and bulbs, just no housings or projectors!

I guess I'm going to be a light scattering jerk for a bit, as I bought this months ago when I read they were "reflector" compatible (near bottom of the page, before the Reviews section).
https://www.theretrofitsource.com/9004-9007-morimoto-elite.html

If they're terrible for oncoming traffic, etc., I'll put the old junk back in and order a better setup!

I'm going to do these to. 

Will have to see what the elite kit is it's about 28bucks cheaper than the other kit.

I'll be a light scattering jerk with you, Make sure they are adjusted correctly and probly be good to go.

Please report back I'm very interested how it goes for you.  I'm going to do clear lenses. And 50w is tempting  though I'm sure 35w is more light then I'll know what to do with.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Evan said:

I'm going to do clear lenses. And 50w is tempting  though I'm sure 35w is more light then I'll know what to do with.

If I hadn't read @Mopar1973Man's glowing review of the 35W system driving through dark canyons full of animals larger than corn fed Iowa whitetails, I'd have gone the 50W route. Seeing his photos, I'm confident I don't need more wattage! If there is a lighting problem, then I'll retrofit some proper mini or D2S projectors the the clear lense housings I ordered last night.

Anzo USA 111067.

I think the 35w hid have like 3000 more lumens then our factory lights. So I agree 35w should be plenty. 

I might be off on that lumen number. 

I dont think youl be ordering another set up.

This is mopar specific kit. 

https://www.theretrofitsource.com/mopar-bixenon-morimoto-elite.html

This kit you have to choose 9004/9007 bulbs in the pull down menu.

The kit you linked. I think?

https://www.theretrofitsource.com/9004-9007-morimoto-elite.html?preselect=51812%2C47589%2C47310%2C48181

• Owner
3 hours ago, Evan said:

I think the 35w hid have like 3000 more lumens then our factory lights. So I agree 35w should be plenty.

Try 4,000 lumens in PIAA LED driving lights. That's even brighter.

With winter solstice behind us... I can say I love the idea of flooding the highway with over 50 feet wide of light and 50 plus feet vertically on hi beams. The 4,000 out of the PIAAs flood the lane with light and you can see a mouse run for cover. I find tons of vehicles driving super slow because the stock headlight suck and barely light up the road. I can flood them with light even on low beams without blinding anyone...

4 hours ago, Evan said:

I might be off on that lumen number. 

I dont think youl be ordering another set up.

This is mopar specific kit. 

https://www.theretrofitsource.com/mopar-bixenon-morimoto-elite.html

This kit you have to choose 9004/9007 bulbs in the pull down menu.

The kit you linked. I think?

https://www.theretrofitsource.com/9004-9007-morimoto-elite.html?preselect=51812%2C47589%2C47310%2C48181

Other than bulb color, that's what I ordered!

Please do it right and install projectors.  I keep harping on it because it is important.   Hids throw a TON of light, that light needs to be controlled. 

"Aiming them down" is not the solution.  Why bother spending all that money to just light up the 15' in front of you?

14 hours ago, LorenS said:

If I hadn't read @Mopar1973Man's glowing review of the 35W system driving through dark canyons full of animals larger than corn fed Iowa whitetails, I'd have gone the 50W route. Seeing his photos, I'm confident I don't need more wattage! If there is a lighting problem, then I'll retrofit some proper mini or D2S projectors the the clear lense housings I ordered last night.

Anzo USA 111067.

That glowing review is due to the optics of the d2s lense.

Keep in mind the projector is bulb specific.  You cant run a d2s bulb in a mini h1 projector and the other way around.

I am with @Me78569 on this. Dont become the guy blinding everyone just because you can see better. Had someone in a pickup get behind me the other night and his lights were lighting up the road a foot in front of his bumber and the tops of the trees 60' in the air. I have never seen headlights that bright, had to be HID's or LED's. I had to turn all my mirrors away from me just to drive. He was blinding me from behind. Then he got pissed when I flipped him off when I turned down my street. :soap:  OK off the soap box now.

Mike's headlights do have the projectors. They are not just the bulbs in the normal head light housings, clear or fluted.

Edited by dripley

• Owner
22 minutes ago, dripley said:

Mike's headlights do have the projectors. They are not just the bulbs in the normal head light housings, clear or fluted.

Total cost of what is in the front of my truck is $1,000 worth of street legal lighting. My Morimoto D2S air aimed properly the cut off line is way low no way to blind anyone. My PIAA LED Driving lights are 100% street legal and proper cut off not like LED light bars which are not street laws in all cases. 

Play headlight war with me though and I will promise to light the inside of your cab like the sun just went super nova. Once in a great while I might the little low rider or such wink at me and then get the cab lit up. 

1 minute ago, Evan said:

Getting my front driveline built right now

What? Really you need a shop for that? I've got the u-joints and the center ball for the cardan joint. Ran out of time yesterday but I'm going to repeat my last rebuild. Starting to vibrate in 4WD.

No time. I've rebuilt myself and they tend to grenade inside a year after I rebuild. Not sure why that is. Technician error I suppose.

Lacking time I rotated tires yesterday on the jobsite.

Not even sure how I'm going to get to six states by 5 this week to pick it up.

Its actually a driveline I fabbed. Driveline guy was impressed that I built it.

Yes that bottle Jack's about to fall

20191222_084601.jpg

No time. I've rebuilt myself and they tend to grenade inside a year after I rebuild. Not sure why that is. Technician error I suppose.

Lacking time I rotated tires yesterday on the jobsite.

Not even sure how I'm going to get to six states by 5 this week to pick it up.

Its actually a driveline I fabbed. Driveline guy was impressed that I built it.

Yes that bottle Jack's about to fall

Might do something about my t800 lights first

20191223_073252.jpg

I changed the passenger side to HID and kept the driver's side the halogen.  The two patterns were the same when shone on the shop garage door.
It's possible to install the bulbs upside down if one doesn't bother to read the directions.  Maybe that's what causes so many people problems.  I drove through the twisty, dark roads heading home from Ol' Dad's house, and I damn sure wasn't lighting up the tops of 60' trees.  When I pulled up behind cars later on, I couldn't see inside their car, etc.  When I parked the truck, walked down the street a while and looked back at my truck, the new light looked brighter, but not as if it was on high beams.  I know from my after sunset walks with the dog that there's a lot of newer cars driving around my neighborhood that are "worse".

Maybe Morimoto knows what they're doing with those particular bulbs in a CAPA and/or NSF certified replacement housings, I don't know.

I do know that some kind of lazy gremlin has take up residence in the HID lighting system that sometimes will turn the high beam on/off and sometimes won't (as tested in the driveway), no matter how the proprietary, gandy relay is mounted.  Tonight's drive home I made sure the bulb was on the low setting before hitting the road and didn't try the high beam.

The next step will be to cut out the infested Morimoto relay and replace it with gremlin-free Hella relays.  Their little kit looks nice, but whether the lights scatter light like a disco ball or shoot laser beams, I need the lights to take commands.

I agree about proper installation.  I actually called and asked about lights blinding people on low. They said installed a adjusted correctly there are no issues.  Spent 15 minutes or so talking lights with a guy.

You have any pics of the hid burning next to the halogen? Can you see alot better now? Was it worth while?

You gota remember this forum has a handful of guys on it that are old and done it all. tons of great info provided but they all tend to do the anything and follow eachother often times it is best to get in the wagon and be like the crowd but not always. Plus I'm not always wanting to go the same place the wagon goes 

• Haha 1