• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Stant or Gates Thermostat, any issues

• Owner

I see way too much of blaming the thermostat too quickly as for the cause of overheat. Like out here radiator plugging externally and internally is very common. Either from mud or dirt road travel. I see this even on 3rd Gen trucks. Matter of fact the last one I worked on attempting to correct a overheat was @Taz between the radiator face being plugged up and the electric fand clutch being bad. You could easily blamed the thermostat. Most do because they are cheap and easy to change compared to pulling a radiator to clean it or replacing a fan clutch. 

• Staff

Yes there are other cooling system issues, but replacing a "x" brand thermostat with a Cummins one won't fix them. Quite often getting rid of a non-Cummins thermostat fixes the issue, and that means the issue was the thermostat. 

Overheating isn't the primary complaint I hear about with non-OEM thermostats. It's inconsistent temps, slow to open, slow to heat, etc. 

Living in the S/W desert we never used thermostats. You remove them and throw them in the trash

That was before they started over-complicating vehicles with computers, sensors, and check engine lights

• Staff
2 hours ago, GSP7 said:

Living in the S/W desert we never used thermostats. You remove them and throw them in the trash

That was before they started over-complicating vehicles with computers, sensors, and check engine lights

You could do that with a gas engine, but not with a diesel. 

Even at 15K GCW my thermostat would only fully open a small handful of times a year! At 19K it opens more often, but even still the motor would never get to operating temp without one even loaded. 

Last summer I pulled a 6% grade for several miles at 114° out. I was empty and my thermostat never fully opened. It takes a lot of sustained power to need a full open thermostat. 

Edited by AH64ID