• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

I just had to replace #5 injector line due to it breaking of at the head. Something that surprised me is that it would appear that the injector line appears to to be double walled with a very small line inside of the outer line separated by what appears to be nylon. I don't know that be an absolute fact but this is what I see from the damaged parts. Here is a pic of the knob that broke off at the head.20180305_210013.jpg.96fb4e78273072c01c6d9ba2657c0dba.jpg20180305_210503.jpg.3801390c64bc05929eeb699fb90f8acc.jpg

I have not been able to cut the old line open to see.  Is the entire line of this same construction? If so that would explain why I could not fold the line over to crimp it off. I will cut the old line open tomorrow and see what is there.

• Like 1

If you blow the second pic up you can see that it more torn apart than just sheared off. When you say rubber are you meaning the material between the 2 lines? The more I look at it the more it does not look like nylon, just something I can not identify, but never the less some solid material other than metal.

1 minute ago, Mopar1973Man said:

@dripley Too much Edge Comp 5x5 and driving around with a heavy foot eh? :whistle:

While I did enjoy that while it was all working well I still think the failure was due to the hold downs not being in place putting some undue stress on the joints. Did you ever have such a failure? Not that @Mopar1973Man would ever use the hp his truck had. Say it aint so...................

• Haha 1

• Staff
Just now, Mopar1973Man said:

@dripley Too much Edge Comp 5x5 and driving around with a heavy foot eh? :whistle:

Yeah he's mad his favorite shoe store won't sell him just the right shoe since that's the only one he wears out.:)

On side note:

I think Dripley found a hidden smog device....' fuel restricter lines'.... next thing you know they be all plumbed in with 1/2'' threaded pipe.... what a nightmare :ahhh:

Edited by JAG1
  • Haha 3

I figure that missing isololator let it vibrate and fatigued it. I never knew the lines were double walled. I assume thats why i could not flatten it out. That was probably good for me, I don't think it was a good idea in the first place. It also gives a little better idea of why they cost so much. 

The isolators are a different story in my opinion. 29 bucks for this was hard to swallow. The only other place I found them was at some of mopar overstock places for near the same plus s&h.20180305_162913.jpg.3937fd76b4454f1eadd0887503993fa2.jpg

• Like 1

14' of fuel line, some hose clamps and a catch can, added 3 more feet when i found out how much fuel the line put out. I did not try to go home, it would have been miserable drive on 5 cylinders plus the part did not arrive until yesterday here in Maryland. The only tool I did not have was a 19mm brake line wrench. No store around the job had one so made out of a boxed end wrench15199379736641797287161.jpg.f4cee8c8e35cce02e2123955696d7984.jpg

• Like 2

• Staff

How far did you go on 5 and how full was the gas can w/ diesel when you got there? I appreciate the picture showing what you did.

Now I know to carry some fuel line and clamps in the tool box.

I can't help wondering what would happen if you had to do this on a newer truck with the electronically controlled injectors?

23 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Be glad you couldn't crimp or seal the line off. I think if you dead headed the VP44 on that line (hydro-lock) the pump it would of broke the rotor plate in the pump. 

I had my doubts that I could even have crimped it enough to stop the flow at the pressure it runs anyway. Was not sure how the VP was going to like it. I feel lucky it would not crimp. It was then I had none those light bulb moments and thought of the hose.

12 minutes ago, JAG1 said:

How far did you go on 5 and how full was the gas can w/ diesel when you got there? I appreciate the picture showing what you did.

Now I know to carry some fuel line and clamps in the tool box.

I can't help wondering what would happen if you had to do this on a newer truck with the electronically controlled injectors?

I drove back to the job 15 miles, about half a mile was in town with a few stop lights. The rest down the interstate at 60 mph in 5th. The engine stoppedmvibrateing around 2000 rpm and it did not like 6th at all. The can had about 3 gallons in it in that short of time. So I bought some more hose and ran it to the tank thru the filler neck. That was by far better than the can.

As far a newer one it should work. Don't know if it is bad on the injectors to dry fire them, if so just unplug and live with the code till you can fix I guess. Major emphasis on the guessing part.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Injector never fired on the dead cylinder. Just like if your run 3 CYL high idle. No damage will happen.

I think his talking about newer common rail, unplugging electrical to injector so it doesn't dry fire the solenoid in the instance if you have to deal with same issue on newer truck.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've been interested in this since the posting in the 911 section.  Some time ago we saw a guy at a rest area that a vice grip on a broken line but still fuel  sprayed everywhere.   Guess it would depend where the line broke at but fuel was still everywhere.  Total mess under the hood.  Then after reading Dropley's 911 post got thinking about it again. 

My kid when he helps me, when priming he just unscrews a fuel line at the bottom of vp pump.  I thought maybe plugging off the broken line would help.  Somebody else said no, a cap plug wouldn't be strong enough.  Somebody else said don't plug off pump, bad for the pump.  Then another members fuel line broke.  I asked that member if he would mail me his broken line.  After I get a broken line going to take it down to where I get my fittings and see if they can make something that would be a temp fix that you could screw in till new part comes in.  

Mean time of the question of whether plugging off a hole in vp is OK for a short time to get off road or maybe until a new line is available is setteled in my mind. I'm not going to plug off vp if I ever do break a fuel line.    I contacted several places.  One place said plugging a hole would create unequal pressure inside the vp on what they called the pump head.  Another place said the timing would get messed up and never work right again without rebuilding vp.  Another place said no problem.  

Anyway...my next step when I get an old fuel line is to see if anything can be made to have in tool box ready to go.  Neighbor in the pressure washing business has couple machines that have massive psi. Pressure washers use flexible lines so maybe I can get something rigged up, to have handy.

I'll post my results after I find out if I can get a "temp" line rigged up.  

Edited by 015point9