• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Is it vp44 time?

I've been learning a ton of information thanks to this forum. Here's where I'm at. Loss of power much more frequently as of last few days. Originally key trick gave me P1693 and p2016. I've had this truck about 7 months now. Replaced lift pump with a fass ddrp soon after I got it as a precaution due to advice by a friend about lift pump failures. Hadn't even checked for codes at that point. Since then I wish I would have upgraded a bit more and relocated it. Still in stock location as of now. Anyhow I had started to notice a brief bit of white smoke on startup and truck has no power at times. Always starts right away. I have checked fuel pressure and have 17 psi idle and drop to 11 wot. After checking with a scanner now I have p1698 and p2016 according to the scanner. Is it time for sure for a new vp44, and how much will a fuel line kit at least from filter to IP help? Thanks to all for this forum. May have forgot some info, didn't want to be too long winded.

Edited by Nnickdd

P2016 or P0216?

Removing the restrictive banjo bolts in between the stock filter and IP will not hurt, but it probably will not fix your current problem.  It would serve better for you in the long run.  Are you adding 2 cycle to your fuel?  Doing that my buy you time on your IP if that is in fact failing. 

• Staff

Fuel pressures should go no lower than 14 psi or like Moparman says, ''your causing a slow death to the VP''. The problem is the fuel lost the lubricity these injection pumps need when they changed to the new ULS diesel, so you need to dump a qt. of 2 stroke w/ ea tank, or about an ounce per gallon. The minimum 14 psi pressure is to fully open the return fuel flow valve to get maximum cooling to the injection pump by returning as much heat and fuel back to the tank as possible.

A couple things; I think you need to eliminate all banjo bolts with the 1/2 inch line kit from Vulcan Performance parts. Also relocating the lift pump closer to the tank, more how the lift pump is designed to push fuel rather than suck fuel. Also get the lift pump power off of using the factory ECM power lead (can burn up the ECM) by using a relay to get power from the batteries instead.

Welcome to the forum BTW, there are good folks around here.... Some on a big power trip trying to squeeze triple turbos in there but they all....all good folks on this forum. :USflag:  Did I say all? Yeah that's right!

Edited by JAG1
  • Like 2

Yep sounds like you need a new VP like hawkez said is it it a p0216? If so that's the death code for the pump. Basicaly it's a mater of time till it breathes it's final breath. Could last a day could last a year as is. If you don't care how it's running buy a pump and keep it handy so you have it ready to install when it goes. Also that's a very wide pressure swing. I recommend a big line kit from Vulcan diesel from filter to pump and half inch fuel lines. I have less then 2 psi pressure swings with the above mods. Also some have had good and bad luck with the Fass ddrp. Might be a good idea to get another pump to keep handy such as a airdog raptor or Fass titanium. And welcome to the forum my freind! Pleasure to have you here! 

I will start adding 2 stroke right away. Can lift pump power coming off of the factory lead cause any wait to start light issues? The light seemed to cycle differently at one point over the winter. It would come on with the other dash lights, then off with others but only seem to cycle like a warm up wait on the first start of the day. Then it didn't seem cycle like that no matter how long the key was in the on position. Even after truck was cold again sitting for hours.

2 minutes ago, Nnickdd said:

I will start adding 2 stroke right away. Can lift pump power coming off of the factory lead cause any wait to start light issues? The light seemed to cycle differently at one point over the winter. It would come on with the other dash lights, then off with others but only seem to cycle like a warm up wait on the first start of the day. Then it didn't seem cycle like that no matter how long the key was in the on position. Even after truck was cold again sitting for hours.

Does it come on immediately with key on? That's a symptom of ECM failure. The 2001 and 2002 are known for that. As far as 2 stroke oil I just keep a gallon in my truck bed and dump some in at every fill up. 

51 minutes ago, Marcus2000monster said:

Does it come on immediately with key on? That's a symptom of ECM failure. The 2001 and 2002 are known for that. As far as 2 stroke oil I just keep a gallon in my truck bed and dump some in at every fill up. 

2001-2002 are the strongest built ECMs.  The 99 ECM is the most prone to failure.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, trreed said:

2001-2002 are the strongest built ECMs.  The 99 ECM is the most prone to failure.

They most have slipped me an old one. Mine died in 09. Never knew what caused it. I did end up with a new Cummins ECM and not reman. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Nnickdd said:

Not exactly. Light seems to cycle, only on first start up of the day. Other than that just on briefly with all other lights in the dash cluster when key is first turned on

You should be good there. Like I said earlier if you have cash get a pump and keep it handy.

Glad to hear about strong ecm hopefully. Just hadn't realized anything about putting lift pump on a relay instead of stock hook up. Truck has 156k on it with original VP, I am quite certain. Never any 2 cycle as of yet, but it will have by the end of today. Just delaying the inevitable I suppose. I don't drive it hard and it maintains 15 psi while going to work and back. 

• Like 1

• Staff

Dripley, if someone catches another guy full of BS on this forum don't you give out free chicken dinner vouchers for Chick Fil-A.?

Edited by JAG1

15 minutes ago, JAG1 said:

Dripley, if someone catches another guy full of BS on this forum don't you give out free chicken dinner vouchers for Chick Fil-A.?

No free dinners for BS. But I can find one for good advice.

Not trying to BS anything. Just since the lift pump change is the only time I have monitored pressure at all. Under normal acceleration without pulling anything it stays 14 to 15 psi. Beyond that I am the 3rd owner of this truck and only thing I am aware of is tranny being rebuilt. Having issues now and just want to keep it going for years to come. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nnickdd said:

Not trying to BS anything. Just since the lift pump change is the only time I have monitored pressure at all. Under normal acceleration without pulling anything it stays 14 to 15 psi. Beyond that I am the 3rd owner of this truck and only thing I am aware of is tranny being rebuilt. Having issues now and just want to keep it going for years to come. 

Ha he’s talking about me and what I said about ECM failures! :moon:

• Staff

Yeah, you need to get off the ECM power for the lift pump. ECM should only be the trigger for the relay to kick in the batteries for the lift pump power. Otherwise you can burn up a component inside the ECM. Lift pump is too much load going thru such small electrical items in there. Lift pump is very dirty with A/C voltage noise too. Harmful to electronics.

When the lift pump gets old it creates more load also.

Vulcan Performance parts has an inexpensive wire harness and relay. Basically plug and play that comes with the big line kit from them.

• Thanks 1

• Owner
7 hours ago, JAG1 said:

Yeah, you need to get off the ECM power for the lift pump. ECM should only be the trigger for the relay to kick in the batteries for the lift pump power. Otherwise you can burn up a component inside the ECM. Lift pump is too much load going thru such small electrical items in there. Lift pump is very dirty with A/C voltage noise too. Harmful to electronics.

When the lift pump gets old it creates more load also.

Vulcan Performance parts has an inexpensive wire harness and relay. Basically plug and play that comes with the big line kit from them.

Why not upgrade to an AirDog or FASS fuel system. Then you deal with all the 6mm ID restrictive fuel system with 1/2 inch plumbing, Adding in 3-micron fuel filters basically double stacking filter with your stock 10-micron filter. Then you get the fuel pump relay as well.

• Like 1