• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Remaned ECM took out vp44?

On 6/14/2018 at 1:32 PM, Dieselfuture said:

Well just got this email from ACS sounds like they did eneible 3-cylinder, I just wonder if it's all one option or you can do it separately. Meaning if you can enable 3cyl without enabling 6cyl high idle.Screenshot_20180615-064659.png.39cb42833a0c6cd601c8b064c0677cef.png

Better than the email I got from them

Screenshot_20180615-144045.png

1 hour ago, trreed said:

Lol injector wiring on a VP truck huh?  Email is written like a scam.  But many members seem to have had good experiences with them.

Yes I'm very confused right now. I'll be getting my spear ecm next week sometime, so hopefully I'll have time following weekend to install it and see the outcome. Sure hope I won't have to change out vp after. 

On a side note, do I just unhook negative cables and maybe cycle key and then unplug ecm and plug new one in?

I really hope that no one else has an issue with the guy.  I think that he could have handled the issue a little better.  When I got the ecm back from him after he said it was tested and repaired, it should have been good.  It didnt even look like they took it back apart to repair it.  Cummins does offer recon units for these trucks still.  The price will take your breath away.  He got the unit back today.  We'll have to see if he really honors the refund or not. 

5 hours ago, Dieselfuture said:

On a side note, do I just unhook negative cables and maybe cycle key and then unplug ecm and plug new one in?

That is all I did when Installing mine. I have read where you need to ground yourself to release any static charge on your person. And from what I know of you, DF, you are always fully charged!!! Just poking fun my friend but that does make sense. I knew nothing back then.

• Haha 1

Ok an update and sorry to OP I don't mean to clutter your thread, just felt like i need to finish my story. 

Got my spar newly flashed ecm in and at first it had some codes, maybe previously stored in it or maybe because I had Mike's mpg switch set on mpg. And wait to start light took a very long time to go away,  so I shut the ignition switch off and cleared codes, put switch in off position and wts light went off very fast next time like the switch was still in mpg mode. Started it up and no new codes except grid heaters which are disconnected. Ran great and high 6 and 3 cylinder high idle works perfect, so they can flash it on. And to answer my question if 3cyl cold idle what they call it covers 6 and 3 high idle, then yes it does. One thing though I was on level 0 on quad after disconnecting batterys and default tune so when high idle kicked in it killed the truck, I freaked out that something is wrong but realized I needed to turn quad high idle off. So once I did, it worked perfect. Drove around, checked codes and all good to go, so I'm pretty happy with outcome. 

Screenshot_20180623-152645.png.1cc82d13847273fb4ca5c22e17be66e1.png

To OP, I hope you figured out your problem. 

Edited by JAG1
  • Like 1

Well I might of spoke to soon. Today out of nowhere my tach on dash went to 0 and I got check engine light, but my quad was still showing rpm. Then it came back to life, checked the code it was 1698. Shut the truck off cleared the code and it hasn't come back yet. I also noticed if my mpg switch is in mpg mode that's when it's triggering odd things, which it never did with original ecm and another thing that is different is before if I didn't have switch in mpg mode wts light took much longer now it's about same time with it on or off. So I'm thinking something is corrupted in this new ECM but idk. @Mopar1973Man any ideas. 

They told me its normal to have all those codes come up.  To me it shows that the test they run on the unit is incomplete.  I got the same paperwork stating that all voltages were good but nothing about the data link being good. 

And it will be 2 weeks Wednesday that they got the faulty ecm and still no partial refund

Edited by bap371981
Forgot

7 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

P1698 code is the PCM not receiving bus messages. Time to inspect your wiring.

Is it still safe to assume it's wireing when the problem started after swapping ECM. Maybe just by moving ECM plug something went wacky like @dripley is experiencing, or a new ECM is just got problems and not communicating.

On 6/25/2018 at 5:43 AM, Dieselfuture said:

Is it still safe to assume it's wireing when the problem started after swapping ECM. Maybe just by moving ECM plug something went wacky like @dripley is experiencing, or a new ECM is just got problems and not communicating.

So to answer my own question, I messed with wires wiggled them checked codes still no communication. So I put my original ECM back in and everything is fine again. As far as I could tell the only thing wasn't working was my tach, and my ABS brake light disappeared when tech quit working. 

I did only pay to program that ECM so technically they never checked it to see if it had any problems, so I can't blame this on them. But also the guy I bought this used ECM from swore that the truck ran fine aside from what he fought was a rod knock. So I guess I'm stuck with ECM that needs repair, I'll try calling ACS and see what they have to say.

3 hours ago, dripley said:

I take you never tried the spare ECM before now.

No I didn't want to damage anything, so I'll never know for sure unfortunately. But my original ECM was doing just fine I just don't have 3/6cyl high idle anymore. What weird is it work fine for a couple of days aside from original codes I pulled out of it, and all the sudden it dropped my tech. I'm sure the parts truck probably had high AC noise that caused other things to go out and therefore the rod knock and why they parted it out. Live and learn I guess, I have 400 in the ECM and another 170 to programm it which I thought worked good until this. I loved how high idle turned on and got to hear my truck for the first time run on 3cyl. 

Got this today finally. Guess a little back is better than nothing. I think they need to really need to work on their skills with dealing with ecm failure issues on their products.  

Dieselfuture, did you trick your truck into the high idle? 

Screenshot_20180629-165057.png

6 hours ago, bap371981 said:

Dieselfuture, did you trick your truck into the high idle?

Well the ecm they flashed did work good for 2 days with high idle enabled like i asked and then out of nowhere it threw a p1698 no communication between ecm and pcm I believe so my tachometer quit working and check engine light came on. First time I was able to clear the code and it started to work again and very next day right off the bat it did it again and wouldn't clear and no tach, but otherwise it seem to run fine. So I put my original ECM back in and problems disappeared.  So I knew it has to do with ecm and nothing else. Then I called them and at first Dee I believe her name said that it has to be pcm or wiring, then I reminded her of what they did and when I put my other ecm in problem went a way. So she put in a request for a tech to contact me,  so now I'm waiting.