• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Floating Gears

17 minutes ago, dripley said:

something different from what came in the later versions? 

bigger than than the 1 3/8 shaft?

In 2001 they went from 1 1/4 to 1 3/8 so as far as I know 1 3/8 was as big as they got. But still  $1500 that I didn't want to spend at the time...hopefully I'll never regret it. But I also don't want a garage full of spear parts for just in case, done that before and then I'd sell whatever it was for and usually ended up giving most of it away with that vehicle. Trying not to make that mistake again. 

44 minutes ago, trreed said:

@dripley There's a company out of Texas, Super Stick Transmissions, who specialize in quick shifting NV5600's, and warranty their stock rebuilds to 700 hp.  Just food for thought. :)

Is there upgrades to a NV5600 besides the clutch that make it shift better and smoother? Not hat I don’t like the shifting already. Also is here a way to see if there’s. Aftermarket clutch in my truck without a tear down?

Is it possible (if my 6 speed would go) to swap a 5 speed NV4500 in?

only kind of floating i do is when coming to a red light and i just want to coast, the timing of letting off the throttle creates a neutral force on the gear im in and i just slip it out into neutral like butter. sometimes when its cold and im not careful it wil blow through the synchro and dump into 2nd or 3rd and a bit of grinding.  i dont like doing that and only happens on a cold trans

wheni get spare money ill be replacing the shift tower guts as they are worn and i want to tighten up the stick.

Edited by CUMMINSDIESELPWR
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, CUMMINSDIESELPWR said:

only kind of floating i do is when coming to a red light and i just want to coast, the timing of letting off the throttle creates a neutral force on the gear im in and i just slip it out into neutral like butter. sometimes when its cold and im not careful it wil blow through the synchro and dump into 2nd or 3rd and a bit of grinding.  i dont like doing that and only happens on a cold trans

Slipping it out of gear and into neutral during no load/neutral power shouldn't be considered "floating gears" as there's no additional contact taking place during that transition. :thumbup2:

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, CUMMINSDIESELPWR said:

wheni get spare money ill be replacing the shift tower guts as they are worn and i want to tighten up the stick.

I do the sam fairly often. 

6 hours ago, trreed said:

@dripley There's a company out of Texas, Super Stick Transmissions, who specialize in quick shifting NV5600's, and warranty their stock rebuilds to 700 hp.  Just food for thought. :)

I saw their name mentioned here the other day and checked them out. They have a 100k warranty also. You have any personal experience with them?

6 hours ago, Dieselfuture said:

In 2001 they went from 1 1/4 to 1 3/8 so as far as I know 1 3/8 was as big as they got. But still  $1500 that I didn't want to spend at the time...hopefully I'll never regret it. But I also don't want a garage full of spear parts for just in case, done that before and then I'd sell whatever it was for and usually ended up giving most of it away with that vehicle. Trying not to make that mistake again. 

I knew about 1 3/8  shaft. I paid $2500 for for the one got back in 2010. The oe spare resides on a dolley ever since..

8 hours ago, Marcus2000monster said:

Is there upgrades to a NV5600 besides the clutch that make it shift better and smoother? Not hat I don’t like the shifting already. Also is here a way to see if there’s. Aftermarket clutch in my truck without a tear down?

Is it possible (if my 6 speed would go) to swap a 5 speed NV4500 in?

Check out Super Stick Transmissions that @trreed mentions. They seem to know the 5600 pretty well.

Pulling the tranny is the only way to see the clutch.

Pretty sure you can do the 5 speed. The drive shaft is a different length and I believe you need the bell housing also. Not sure what else might be needed.

8 hours ago, CUMMINSDIESELPWR said:

You know where to get the parts to do that? I bought a new shift tower several years back from somewhere. Pretty sure it was for an 03 or later due to the shifter knob being a couple inches closer to the console. That was all they had though and said it was for an 02 or older. It was awkward to shift though.  

Edited by dripley
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, dripley said:

I saw their name mentioned here the other day and checked them out. They have a 100k warranty also. You have any personal experience with them?

No experience with them yet.  I'll be sending them money and a core if (when?) I blow mine up.

They seem to do a lot of business, regularly pumping put both NV4500s and NV5600s, along with some ZF6s.

Edited by trreed
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, trreed said:

No experience with them yet.  I'll be sending them money and a core if (when?) I blow mine up.

I got no problem with sending the core. It's just sitting there on the dolley. Just need to put the fire out in the wallet. It just keeps burning the cash up as fast as it gets in there. 

Appreciate your input.

Edited by dripley
  • Haha 1

On 5/8/2018 at 11:21 PM, KATOOM said:

Slipping it out of gear and into neutral during no load/neutral power shouldn't be considered "floating gears" as there's no additional contact taking place during that transition. :thumbup2:

i just wanted to be part of the conversation :P   WHY DO YOU ALWAYS TAKE MY FUN AWAY?????  hahahahahaha   :lmao:

On 5/9/2018 at 7:12 AM, dripley said:

You know where to get the parts to do that? I bought a new shift tower several years back from somewhere. Pretty sure it was for an 03 or later due to the shifter knob being a couple inches closer to the console. That was all they had though and said it was for an 02 or older. It was awkward to shift though.  

they did have it on here but its discontinued.  i think you can buy a delrin rebuild kit somewhere...

http://www.quad4x4.com/catalog/category/nv5600_transmission_parts

found this....

https://www.allstategear.com/NV5600-6-Speed-Shifter-Kit-p/nv25683-kit.htm

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 5/9/2018 at 2:30 AM, dripley said:

I knew about 1 3/8  shaft. I paid $2500 for for the one got back in 2010. The oe spare resides on a dolley ever since..

I had him rebuild my NV4500, Put in an upgraded 1 3/8" input shaft and a fully splined output shaft to fix 5th gear.

Trans got stuck in 5th gear twice a few days after I put it in, he told me if it kept happening to bring it over and he'll get it fixed.
Not sure what the problem was but hasn't happened since and i've put 10k miles on it. Shifts smooth, no issues. And any questions that I had he responded super quickly. Would recommend him to anyone needing a rebuilt NV4500 or NV5600:thumbup2:

He's also the one that makes these videos!:lmao:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2