• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Want to increase turbo boost

• Owner

Edge EZ should hit about 30 PSI without much issues. I'm wondering if your Edge EZ is boost fooling correctly? Is the MAP sensor cables hooked up for the Edge EZ? Boost toilet should make the ECM see about 18 to 19 PSI and the Edge should be able to fuel past 20 PSI all the way to 30 PSI. If the ECM is seeing true boost number your 22 PSI limit sounds about right. Hence why I wonder if the boost cooler is working correctly.

Clamp the line or take the line off the actuator and clamp a bolt in it. In 20 or 30 minutes you will know. And if that does not work then dig deeper. Try the simple things first. Sounds very much like the boost elbow is not doing its job.

So I tested my boost gauge and it is accurate and working properly. I then tested my waste gate actuator and it starts opening at 21 to 22 psi, which seems about right to me. I then replaced the Edge boost elbow with another one that I had and it does appear to be working better. I was able to get about 25 psi at WOT. I then went back and ran another pressure leak test through the turbo and I found that I still have a  small leak on the lower hot side turbo boot where it attaches to the inter-cooler. I've tightened it as much as I can but it still leaks.

So I think I'm going to go ahead and replace all 4 boots since these are the original boots. Does anyone have any suggestions on where to get a good set of boots that fit properly? I've read some reviews of boots that just don't fit correctly even though they are sold for this year truck.

• Staff
6 minutes ago, dripley said:

Just remember if you get a leak free system and the waste gate opens at say 25 psi it will get no higher than that. 

Correct. Chances are that the small boost leak is not what's limiting the boost. 

• Owner
2 hours ago, dripley said:

Just remember if you get a leak free system and the waste gate opens at say 25 psi it will get no higher than that. 

1 hour ago, AH64ID said:

Chances are that the small boost leak is not what's limiting the boost.

True. Small boost leaks most likely will not affect the maximum boost. Larger ones like a single manifold bolt missing or a chunk of intake gasket missing will leak pretty good. Another mistake is removing stock filter can and reusing the old bolts which are too long and the manifold will leak. 

Mopar Man, When you say removing the stock filter can and reusing the old bolts can cause the manifold to leak, are you referring to the stock fuel filter canister? I did remove my stock fuel filter when I installed the AirDog. I don't recall what bolts I used. I haven't checked it for leaks yet so I guess I better do that.

So in theory, with no leaks in the system and my Edge EZ with the boost elbow installed, my maximum boost will likely be limited to approximately 25 psi, or can expect a little more? 

1 minute ago, ljrustler said:

So in theory, with no leaks in the system and my Edge EZ with the boost elbow installed, my maximum boost will likely be limited to approximately 25 psi, or can expect a little more?

What we are trying to say is the waste gate opening pressure will determine how high your boost can go, within reason of course. The stock waste gate opens around 20 psi. The boost elbow is supposed to bleed some of that pressure off of the waste gate allowing the waste gate to open later after pressure builds higher in the charger.

I have an aftermarket waste gate on mine that opens at near 35 psi, give or take a couple pounds. So I am able to build more boost due to the higher opening pressure. Same thing the boost elbow should do if it is working right.