• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Oil changes

• Owner

While all you are worrying about synthetic oils and testing I'm heading back from the moon (236k miles to the moon). 356k miles and still rolling. When I'm coving 65k miles per year roughly the whole synthetic oil idea and testing is way outside my budget being I'm spending at least 500-700 a month in diesel fuel alone and then doing oil changes every 7k miles and that's at about every 5 to 6 weeks.

More or less the low side of a hotshot driver. After seeing the head off and seeing the cylinders and piston condition I'm not going to even concern myself on the "Premium Oil" I'll just keep doing what I've done for the last 16 years and clear half a million miles.

3 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

While all you are worrying about synthetic oils and testing I'm heading back from the moon (236k miles to the moon). 356k miles and still rolling. When I'm coving 65k miles per year roughly the whole synthetic oil idea and testing is way outside my budget being I'm spending at least 500-700 a month in diesel fuel alone and then doing oil changes every 7k miles and that's at about every 5 to 6 weeks.

More or less the low side of a hotshot driver. After seeing the head off and seeing the cylinders and piston condition I'm not going to even concern myself on the "Premium Oil" I'll just keep doing what I've done for the last 16 years and clear half a million miles.

That is an excellent idea on using mineral oil for moon trips. I'm not sure how well any oil pumps in those low temps though.

However, in planet canada, prices are somewhat higher than on the moon.

A gallon jug of Rotella costs US$40, while a gallon jug of better spec'd Amsoil is US$38 delivered to my door.

• Like 1

• Owner

My winter temps here in New Meadows reach a low of -40*F. Never had a single issue for 16 years or 356k miles.

$15 a gallon (Oil change with filter is $65 dollars) for what I buy from Napa. Again though when I cover the number of miles I do the cost of synthetics is too high and makes the cost of operation too high. Then doing oil changes every 5 to 6 weeks. So your oil change is over double the price of mine. 

• Owner

My problem, I've got to travel 250 to 300 miles per every Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday to keep MoparMom alive with dialysis treatments. I'm on a limited budget with the tiny income I can manage scratch up plus MomparMom retirement. I try to do an odd job on Wednesdays and Friday if possible. Actually between the head curl and the gasket just rotting out was my failure. Also needed to valve seals and 18 valve guides which ate the valve seals. 

But after seeing the cylinder after changing the head gasket. I was tickled pink and no going to look back. Keep rolling forward and onward to the 1/2 million miles. 

• Staff

@Mopar1973Man With your average load and speed to/from Ontario you would be a great candidate for running synthetics with an extended drain interval. You would reduce costs and down time. The individual change cost would be higher, but the cost per mile would be lower. 

I know I’ve shown it before, but I have a video of dino 15w-40 and a synthetic 15w-40 at -10°F, well above the pour point of the dino oil and it’s THICK and I would be very nervous running it in Idaho winters. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, AH64ID said:

@Mopar1973Man With your average load and speed to/from Ontario you would be a great candidate for running synthetics with an extended drain interval. You would reduce costs and down time. The individual change cost would be higher, but the cost per mile would be lower. 

I was going to suggest the same thing, problem is Mike thinks the Moon is real.

• Like 1

On 10/13/2018 at 1:13 PM, AH64ID said:

I'll be changing to the DME this next change, which will be sometime in the next month. 

I just don't need the -54°F pour point, and the difference in 100°C viscosity is only 0.1 and the DME has a higher HTHS and lower NOACK. 

I'll be sure to do a UOA next year. 

Good stuff AH64ID

Any particular reason you're going from AME to the very similar spec'd DME, aside from curiosity?

Mopar1973man, I wish I'd known about your situation earlier.

I would have sent you an Amsoil bypass setup that I just haven't bothered using these past couple years, but i installed it on my nephew's truck a couple months back.

Edited by ofelas
Line spacing

• Staff
2 minutes ago, ofelas said:

Good stuff.

Any particular reason you're going from AME to the very similar spec'd DME, aside from curiosity?

Mopar1973man, I wish I'd known about your situation earlier.

I would have sent you an Amsoil bypass setup that I just haven't bothered installing, but i installed it on my nephew's truck a couple months back.

Slightly thicker at 100°C and slightly higher HTHS have me interested, as well as the tech's I've talked to at Amsoil think it's a better oil, aside from TBN. The TBN won't be an issue for me so I'll give it a go.