• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

New Tire Size found 235's to 245's

• 4 weeks later...

Towed 800 miles this wkend with a 28' enclosed trailer around 6000lbs thru Virginia and West Virginia mountains using 245/75/16 tires. Towed very well, around 2300-2400rpm at 58-62mph locked in third (OD off) on my 47re. Great power, great engine braking with a 12cm/.70ar exhuast housing on my 62/68 Borg sxe s300. Better towing characteristics than my 265/70/17 set. Got 10.5mpg on the way there with timing set to bottom of the green range on the quadzilla, and 12.13mpg on the way back on the exact same stretch of road returning with timing set to medium of the green range on the timing sliders on the quadzilla. Also drove 60mph on the way back and 50-55mph on the way there because it was dark and raining.

In 2016 I was sled pulling for the points championship in my class, so I hit all the pulls for United Truck and Tractor Pullers of Utah. 13,500 miles in 6 Rocky Mountain states and averaged 11.78 mpg. This is with my Edge Juice (to the nay sayers), 3.55 gears and 285/75x16 tires. The combination weighs 19k.

I am thinking real serious about going back to 265's soon. For lower final drive ratio, my truck is a little too high for my trailer to sit level and my tire chains don't fit the 285's. They are also a little cheaper which is a good thing. Oh yeah, I did win, lol

downsized_0722161743a.jpg

• Like 1

• Owner

I've been enjoying the 245's. way more power on the highway I can accelerate much faster now. Still the MPG is not changed much. Still drifting around the 19 MPG with winter fuel now in full swing. The higher final ratio really does make a huge difference in acceleration. I like the fact I can remain in 5th much longer now. I'm in my top gear sooner. 

Edited by Mopar1973Man
  • Like 1

On ‎11‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 5:08 AM, Mopar1973Man said:

I've been enjoying the 245's. way more power on the highway I can accelerate much faster now. Still the MPG is not changed much. Still drifting around the 19 MPG with winter fuel now in full swing. The higher final ratio really does make a huge difference in acceleration. I like the fact I can remain in 5th much longer now. I'm in my top gear sooner. 

I just did a  round trip from Salem, OR to Medford, OR and back (500 miles) with the 245's to pick up an excavator bucket.  No mpg reduction - 20.2 mpg at 65 - 73 mph.  Got slowed to 45 mph up steep grades a couple of times in southern Oregon - stayed in 6th gear and accelerated  quickly back up to 65 mph.  I'll never go back to the 265's.

- John

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

:lmao:

It's not funny :shifty:

I want my truck to look mean so people yield at 4way stop signs, I swear they did more often with bigger tires :whistle:

Now my truck is only cool then I first Fire it up in the parking lot, everyone has to turn around and see if a semi is coming. 

• Owner
4 minutes ago, Dieselfuture said:

It's not funny :shifty:

I want my truck to look mean so people yield at 4way stop signs, I swear they did more often with bigger tires :whistle:

Now my truck is only cool then I first Fire it up in the parking lot, everyone has to turn around and see if a semi is coming. 

I love the sleeper mode. "Ah, just a stock truck I can whip it." Yeah right. I actually hunt for 4th Gens with lift kits and minimum of 35" inch tires. Those jacked up 3rd and 4th gen I kill for fun. No problem. Surprises everyone when the tires let go and the truck is gone. Where did it go?!?! :lmao::burnout2:

My design is all about shedding all the excessive drag and maximize my torque value. Which I've done. 

Edited by Mopar1973Man
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

I love the sleeper mode. "Ah, just a stock truck I can whip it." Yeah right. I actually hunt for 4th Gens with lift kits and minimum of 35" inch tires. Those jacked up 3rd and 4th gen I kill for fun. No problem. Surprises everyone when the tires let go and the truck is gone. Where did it go?!?! :lmao::burnout2:

My design is all about shedding all the excessive drag and maximize my torque value. Which I've done. 

This is what happens to the NV4500, 3rd gear boosted launch with 600 hp, not mine:)

downsized_0608141008.jpg

I can't even spin my tires unless it's slick or wet out, must be good tire or my tune. Just got rid of some tires and rims I bought to temporary use and was going to do a burn out, after few attempts feeling like I'm going to brake something I gave up. But on few occasions I spun tires going up a wet hill

17 minutes ago, Tractorman said:

I wait until it snows to do my burnouts.  That way I can make my truck last longer.

- John

Yeah I really don't like doing it, but on an old set of tires I thought why not, just once, just for fun, and then I remembered all the hard work I did to this pile of bolts and decided not to lol. 

6 hours ago, Dieselfuture said:

I can't even spin my tires unless it's slick or wet out, must be good tire or my tune. Just got rid of some tires and rims I bought to temporary use and was going to do a burn out, after few attempts feeling like I'm going to brake something I gave up. But on few occasions I spun tires going up a wet hill

I am a bit leary of of doing it myself on dry pavement with all the drive shaft joints wth 450k on them but let the roads get damp and mine will break loose when the turbo lights in most gears. :burnout:

• Like 1

• Owner
4 minutes ago, Marcus2000monster said:

When i had the edge juice i did a burnout in front of an idiot in town that was acting rude towards me. My truck very nearly got out from under me it had so much power. Even this morning the roads had a very light thin frost and i easily can spin my tiures with my current mods.

3rd gen 17s with 285/70/17 Goodyear’s,

Ummm... that easy to explain. Wider tires spread the weight out more so traction is reduced on slick surfaces. Axle weight typically in the rear axle of a 2500 series is about 2,860 pounds so about 1,430 pounds per tire. Then figure out the catch patch in square inches and then divide up the weight to amount of square inches. Wider tires tend to float more on top, great for offroad usage.

This is another reason I've gone down in tire size this, in turn, makes a smaller contact patch and pushes more rubber into the road on slick days. Yeah, you have to manage the power vs. your road condition. Typically when the frost is visible I typically drop to level 3 (no wiretap) I tend to get a torque shock as the wiretap hits. 

39 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Ummm... that easy to explain. Wider tires spread the weight out more so traction is reduced on slick surfaces. Axle weight typically in the rear axle of a 2500 series is about 2,860 pounds so about 1,430 pounds per tire. Then figure out the catch patch in square inches and then divide up the weight to amount of square inches. Wider tires tend to float more on top, great for offroad usage.

This is another reason I've gone down in tire size this, in turn, makes a smaller contact patch and pushes more rubber into the road on slick days. Yeah, you have to manage the power vs. your road condition. Typically when the frost is visible I typically drop to level 3 (no wiretap) I tend to get a torque shock as the wiretap hits. 

IM buying a parts truck with 3;54s this weekend. theyre going into my truck and then im downsizing my tires