• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Big-Black-Dodge hit Mr Moose...

Well haven't been on here for a couple years. My old 2002 24v 6 speed's life came to an end and mine almost did as well.

Was Sept of 2016 and I was coming home from fishing. Was about 9:30pm.

I was traveling below the speed limit by about 5km/hr. Speed limit is 100km/hr (approx 60mph). I noticed a truck was really wanting to pass. So I was driving along then out of no where Big Canadian Mr Moose comes trotting out. I had a split second to figure out what to do. Either hit him and maybe have him come through windshield and kill me or go around him and almost certain roll my truck because of the non existant shoulders of the road and steep banks.

So I had no choice to hit him,then a big BANG and next thing I know I can't steer.. I was on the brakes and we did a 180 and started skidding towards the steep shoulders. It happened slow but the tires finally dropped off the pavement. I though great I survived the hit now going to get killed on the roll. 

I reached back and held me dog as long as I could. I was worried she'd get thrown out.

eventually I had to let go and I knew it was going to hit hard so I crouched down into the seat. Finally BANG BANG CRUNCH and then we landed back on the wheels.

First thing I thought of was my Lab/Pointer in the back seat. She's more my kid than my dog. Ok she is my kid.

She seemed ok but she's been through hell and back and she's really tough so I wanted to make sure she was for sure ok. 

I seemed fine but my neck was already sore. Next thing I see this cute little brunette smiling at me by my drivers door and she said "are you ok"? I said I don't know am dead am I in heaven lol.

Then I was concerned about the moose. I hate seeing an animal suffer but he was killed instantly. 

So long story short I called to get a permit for the moose and we quartered him up on the side of the hiway lol.

The only damage was he had a broken front leg. He had a 52" spread so a decent size moose.

Insurance paid me out and I bought a 98 12 valve long box Auto. So I'll be hanging out in the 12 vave section now I guess.

Looks like I just bought an 8.0L V10.

sure would be nice to see a V10 section on this site.

Anyway I bought the truck off insurance then sold it for parts. It had a ton of new stuff on it. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Ouch. Glad you both came out ok.

My 96 had a V10 in it. I did everything I asked of it except pass a gas station. Gas was only a buck a gallon when I had mine so it was not to painful. Dropped a valve thru the #10 piston at 160k. 

18 hours ago, Me78569 said:

Did you take the cute brunette out for dinner?!?!

Assuming not married lol

Glad everyone made it through and the moose was put to use.

Haha no her boy friend was there. Both of them were awesome and stayed with me for 1.5 hrs after it happened.

They were just about to pass me and i'm sure they wouldn't have been so lucky because there truck was a stock F-150. Mine was lifted with 35's and his rack still hit my windshield.

What a powerfull animal.

He was probably trying to get away from wolves. Right where I hit him was the area where those famous Canadian wolves were trapped years ago and sent to Yellowstone Park. The biggest baddest meanest wolves on the planet.

On July 11, 2018 at 7:06 AM, Mopar1973Man said:

I'll say that truck held up good for hitting a moose and then rolling. I'm glad both of you are ok as well. 

One of the few reasons I've not given up on my truck for an economy car. 

Thanks and yes it did. The fenders were pretty rusty under the flairs and that all pushed in and jamed into my steering rod/ujoint. It broke the Intake off the engine as well. When I got it home she fired right up lol. Good old Cummins.

So Mopar Man73 any chance of putting a V10 section in here? I know it's mainly a Diesel site but the V10 is a bit of an odd ball and almost diesel natured lol.

I am only sell the 12 valve because I know I can make money on it plus got the V10 dirt cheap. 

Diesel is still running through my viens.

Here's my "new truck". 1998 12 valve with the 4-doors. Love how it pulls hard down low compared to my 24 valve.

Has some rust under the flairs. Dodge sure made crapy metal on these things. 

My old 70 ford has zero compared to this trucks rust. 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by BIG-BLACK-DODGE