• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

2002 2nd gen dually performance recommendations

Hello there I have a 2002 2nd gen automatic 4x4 alt 5.9 24valve with 50k miles.  I have lightly modified it.  5in Exh, bd exhaust manifold, s&b intake, Quadzilla tuner,  air dog 165 4g fuel pump.  I don’t want to get crazy with it but it needs more power to pull my trailer.  I do want the best of the best.  I’m wondering what you would recommend for brand and size injectors/turbo.  Anything else recommended for better solid pulling power.  Also after getting these things should I go ahead to do arp studs with new head gasket.  If so what brand head gasket would be best or go back with a new oem head gasket?  Please enlighten me cause there are so much to choose from. 

Edited by Daniel2ndgen2002

2 hours ago, Daniel2ndgen2002 said:

Hello there I have a 2002 2nd gen automatic 4x4 alt 5.9 24valve with 50k miles.  I have lightly modified it.  5in Exh, bd exhaust manifold, s&b intake, Quadzilla tuner,  air dog 165 4g fuel pump.  I don’t want to get crazy with it but it needs more power to pull my trailer.  I do want the best of the best.  I’m wondering what you would recommend for brand and size injectors/turbo.  Anything else recommended for better solid pulling power.  Also after getting these things should I go ahead to do arp studs with new head gasket.  If so what brand head gasket would be best or go back with a new oem head gasket?  Please enlighten me cause there are so much to choose from. 

It has a automatic trans

Is the tranny stock or have you modified it? A totally stock tranny will need some help to handle more power. That's the weak link. Your motor can handle fair amount of extra power just like it is. Your HY turbo is a bit of a choke point. My 02 2500 pulls my 15k pound 5th wheel pretty darn good with just the mods I have. Usually set on level 2 or 3. Mine has the HX turbo which is less of choke point. I am no where needing head studs. It all depends how wild you want to get.

Tranny  first woul be my opinion.

Edited by dripley
  • Like 2

It has a stock trans.  I pull a 18k gooseneck trailer and it just seems to struggle quite a bit.  It won’t push anything over 21pounds or boost.  I don’t want to get crazy high power numbers but seeing what brand equipment I should look into to get some more fuel and air threw this thing to pull a little easier. 

7 x .010's and a 62 mm inducer turbo is a popular setup for towing and 500 hp.    You can go smaller on the turbo, but you will still eat the trans at 400 or 450 hp.  How much power do you want?

Your trans will not last a week if you upgrade injectors to 7 x .010.  the lockup clutch will not be able to keep the tc locked.   to the point of if you tow it will likely just burn up the atf fluid due to excess heat.

Edited by Me78569
  • Like 1

Just looking for dependable strong tow truck that doesn’t struggle.  I’d say somewhere between 450 & 600hp range.  I would be super happy with the 500range cause I know more and more issues come with too much power tq/hp.  Now the 7x.010 I’m not familiar with is that around the 150hp injector range.  Also what brand injector and turbo would you recommended me looking into and is there anything else beside major updates with the trans you would recommend.  Sorry just picking your brain cause I know your very detailed and know your stuff from reading several of your other responses to people. 

Studs put in one by one if your headgasket is still good.  Beyond that nope.  

if you want the best of the best infinite performance can build you a really really nice set of injectors.  

More budget minded then DAP.   I would do DAP for the turbo regardless.  I would go with borg warner sxe turbo in the size that fits your hp goal

7 x .010's are commonly called 150hp over stock but it is really 150hp -+25 depending on the builder

I personally would get studs and change one at time, gasket with 50k is probably fine no need to pull it off. Then I'd get tweens if money is not an object or something like mentioned above with 62mm. Mine is 62/67/12 hx35 hybrid custom built, I chose that over store bought to be able to use my exhaust break, it's bolted to back of the turbo. If it wasn't for that I'd get a store bought one with a 4" outlet vs 3" but it's been good to me so far. If you have Quadzilla adrenaline with v2 tuning that's great, you can tune quite a bit with it with bigger injectors. You'll definitely need a good fuel system with bunch of guages to monitor things, with quadzilla you get a lot of it but I like to have analog mechanical gauges as back up too. Your stock tranny will be shot in no time with added power and you'd be money ahead to get it right now and not later jmo. Air+fuel+timing=power more you shove in more power you get but at certain point it gets expensive. 

I would love tween turbo set up but getting buy with what I got, and need to spend money on front end, it's a never ending battle. But when it runs great down the road it's all worth it in the end :thumb1:

• Like 1

You say you want a little more power and then you say you want between 450 & 600 hp. Trans will be trash in a week. May as well start there... Now if you want a little more power I would recommend RV275 injectors. They will boost your stock from 230 to 275. I am in CA so my truck is stock except the billet trans mod. RV 275 gave me 1 mpg better towing and empty. I tow at 17,600 gross combination, a tall wind resistant 5r. 

Edited by oldbeek
correction

Awesome that’s the info I’m looking for.  Glad I have received some good recommendations from you guys.  I’m probably going to do everything at the same time then. Where do you recommend me looking into for me to send my trans off to have everything upgraded to billet internals & also what brand converter should I go with and stall?  I would like to eventually get too 500-600hp

Edited by Daniel2ndgen2002
Correction

On 7/16/2018 at 12:59 PM, Daniel2ndgen2002 said:

Awesome that’s the info I’m looking for.  Glad I have received some good recommendations from you guys.  I’m probably going to do everything at the same time then. Where do you recommend me looking into for me to send my trans off to have everything upgraded to billet internals & also what brand converter should I go with and stall?  I would like to eventually get too 500-600hp

For that power level, I would run a Stage 3 transmission with either a Goerend 15SS or 17SS (or DPC equivalent) converter, depending upon what turbo you end up with.

https://dynamictransparts.com/dynamic-stage-3-47re-transmission-package

• Thanks 2