• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

New Injectors + new codes + zero throttle

7 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Edge EZ is easy to remove. There is power, ground, MAP sensor and CANBus lead. Unplug all that its gone. 

Quadzilla will hook up the same way except for 2 extra wires. There is the wire tap for the VP44. Then the extra keyed hot lead into the dash fuse panel. You do have the optional fuel pressure and trans temp. Then EGT gauge hook up.

Any suggestions on a model number for the Quad and best source would be appreciated.  You keep steering me in the right direction :-) much appreciated.

http://quadzillapower.com/vehicles/dodge-2001-cummins/

Edited by leety

1 minute ago, IBMobile said:

I'm using the Edge EZ  with the jumper set on #2 and RV275 injectors with zero smoke problems.   I tow an 8,000lb 5th wheel and I don't want to overwhelm the almost stock 47RE transmission with more power. 

Good to know :-)

• Owner

I'm using the Edge EZ  with the jumper set on #2 and RV275 injectors with zero smoke problems.   I tow an 8,000lb 5th wheel and I don't want to overwhelm the almost stock 47RE transmission with more power. 

There is most likely a gear and tire difference between @IBMobile and @leety . I know Ibmobile is 4.10 gears with 245's. But I'm not sure what Leety is running. This will make a difference for smoke.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

• Owner
9 minutes ago, leety said:

Help me out here.  What's all this about 4.10 gears and 245's?  Please translate to noobie for me.

Basically, with Ibmobile he's got 30" tires (245/75 R16) and 4.10 gear ratio in both front and rear axles the means it takes less fuel to get rolling and spools the turbo faster so smoke is not an issue. Basically the 245's tires change the 4.10 gears into 4.26 gears making more torque for the tires.

Now with 265/75 R16 tires and 3.55 gears in the axles, your much taller gear and takes much more fuel to launch and spool so smoke is now more common place. Now with 265/75 R16 tires and the 3.55 gears is factory SLT package. So you are 3.55 final to the ground. Now if your tires are larger the ratio number goes lower so by the time you reach 37" tires your final ratio is 3.00 to 1. This makes the truck struggle and smoke is typically way worse.

Optimal is about 3.73 to 1 to the ground. Basically 245's tires and 3.55 gears.

Edited by Mopar1973Man
  • Thanks 1

My axle ratio is 4:10 (4.1 turns of the drive shaft to 1 turn of the axle) and my tire size is 245/75R-16  giving me a final ratio of 4:22 which translates into a little higher RPM at cruising speed and a lot of pulling power. 

Ok I'm starting to see what this is all about.

My axle ratio is 3.54 my tire size is 245/70R19.5

3 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Final ratio to the ground is 3.39 to 1. So your very tall geared... 

So does the manual transmission help me any?  Or is smoke and funny faces from the restless CA natives just a thing I will have to deal with?

Edited by leety

• Owner

4 choices...

1. Deal with the ugly faces and pissed off people and possible smog violation.

2. Change out the wheels and tires to correct your final ratio.

3. Spend the big money on getting the gears changed in both front and rear axles. (about $4,000)

4. Change from the Edge to Quadzilla and add some lag to your daily fuel map to control smoke,

Edited by Mopar1973Man
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Mopar1973Man said:

4 choices...

1. Deal with the ugly faces and pissed off people and possible smog violation.

2. Change out the wheels and tires to correct your final ratio.

3. Spend the big money on getting the gears changed in both front and rear axles. (about $4,000)

4. Change from the Edge to Quadzilla and add some lag to your daily fuel map to control smoke,

A ha!  Well answered!

Well it's big a** truck so #1 is inevitable, with or without the smoke LOL

I think I'll start with 4 sounds like a good overall thing to do anyways.

Would the lower RMP at high speed improve my gas mileage or is this one of those times I should take my glass-half-full, rose colored glasses off?

Can you recommend a Quadzilla model?

• Owner
1 minute ago, leety said:

Would the lower RMP at high speed improve my gas mileage or is this one of those times I should take my glass-half-full, rose colored glasses off?

Easy to answer if your normal highway speed is 65 MPH then 3.73 final ratio would be optimal. This would put your at a perfect 2,000 RPM's at 66 MPH. This has just been pushing my MPG just over 21 MPG just before I parked for the head gasket.

3 minutes ago, leety said:

Can you recommend a Quadzilla model?

Quadzilla Adrenaline 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Easy to answer if your normal highway speed is 65 MPH then 3.73 final ratio would be optimal. This would put your at a perfect 2,000 RPM's at 66 MPH. This has just been pushing my MPG just over 21 MPG just before I parked for the head gasket.

Nice MPH.

Before the new injectors going about 68 MPH faster in NM, with 1800# of Bigfoot camper in the bed I'm getting about 15-16 MPH.  I'm hoping the new injectors improve that a bit.  I'm guessing the Quadzilla would also help.

IMG_9403.JPG

• Like 1

• Owner

A bit of tweaking to the timing making a small retarded area to get spool up faster and the jump into advancement but keep it down around 19* total at cruise. This will help a bunch with launching smoke and EGT control too. Then fuel map start out about 90% and work your way up 1% per 1 PSI of boost then after 10 PSI than you can step up 2% per PSI.

Edited by Mopar1973Man
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

A bit of tweaking to the timing making a small retarded area to get spool up faster and the jump into advancement but keep it down around 19* total at cruise. This will help a bunch with launching smoke and EGT control too. Then fuel map start out about 90% and work your way up 1% per 1 PSI of boost then after 10 PSI than you can step up 2% per PSI.

Sounds like fun!!!  I'll have to take a class to figure out how to program it to make all that happen.

For now I'll have to work with what I have and keep my foot out of it when I know the smoke will blow.  It's reasonably predictable.

For sure sounds like I will want to upgrade tho the Quadzilla Adrenaline to get it as good as it can get with the setup I have now.  No matter what tires or gearing I mess with later I would think the Quad is a thing to have.

I may just pull the old stone-age Edge EZ out and see how it goes in the native environment.

You'll still find some smoke on the stock tuning because the Dodge ECM is calibrated for the smaller nozzles yet.  Best advice is to not get on the skinny pedal when your under the turbo.  That will cause the most smoke.  Wait until the turbo is spooled to get on it.  

As for Quadzilla University: 

Unfortunately, as @Me78569 says, the video is flipped.  Unsure if he's got a fix for it. But this is the basics for the V2 tuning.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, trreed said:

You'll still find some smoke on the stock tuning because the Dodge ECM is calibrated for the smaller nozzles yet.  Best advice is to not get on the skinny pedal when your under the turbo.  That will cause the most smoke.  Wait until the turbo is spooled to get on it.  

As for Quadzilla University: 

Unfortunately, as @Me78569 says, the video is flipped.  Unsure if he's got a fix for it. But this is the basics for the V2 tuning.

Do I have to stand on my head and look in a mirror to tune with it? That might be a drawback.

• Haha 1