• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Ok guys a have a 2001 dodge 2500 diesel. It has 210,000 miles on it. Replaced the vp44 and put a fass lift pump on it 1 1/2 ago. About 2 mouths ago I was going down the highway and put it to the floor and it died on me. Would not start back up so I had it towed home. Late that day I try to restart it, it took a long time to get it started and it sounded and run like  Crap. Like it was running on 2 or 3 legs. Towed it to dodge dealership. And they told me it was the injector pump. So I had it towed back to my house and order a new injector pump and put in one. But it is still running the same way. Like crapp..  I even try putting on a new ecm. But it still run like crap.  

Here are the codes I'm getting. 

P0122

P0253

P1689

P1688

Please help me if you can 

Thanks

Mike w

Edited by JAG1

• Staff

Do you have good fuel pressure which is so essential for a healthy VP44?

I would put the original ECM back on and do the diagnostics because a rebuilt ECM does not guarantee not having issues. Many are not rebuilt correctly.

Are you running two stroke oil in the fuel? about one ounce to a gallon will buy insurance for the VP.

Keep us posted.... we are interested in seeing you get this running properly again.

8 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

I would read and do as much of the diagnostics as possible but it looks like you have a got a bad VP44.

I just put on a new vp44 pump. It's new just got it in last week. 

5 hours ago, JAG1 said:

Do you have good fuel pressure which is so essential for a healthy VP44?

I would put the original ECM back on and do the diagnostics because a rebuilt ECM does not guarantee not having issues. Many are not rebuilt correctly.

Are you running two stroke oil in the fuel? about one ounce to a gallon will buy insurance for the VP.

Keep us posted.... we are interested in seeing you get this running properly again.

Ye I have between 15 and 16 on my pressure gauge. 

• Owner
49 minutes ago, Mike wolf said:

Doesn't mean you got a good VP44. There is a lot of rebuilders out there and some don't have the Bosch 815 test stand to properly bench test and calibrate the PSG module on the VP44. Certified rebuilders are suppose to replace the PSG and then calibrate the PSG on the test stand for 3 hours and then the new PSG is flash with new code.

Now the other rebuilders fly by night and just replace the worn parts internally and reuse the old PSG. This is why you have P1688 code because the PSG is damaged and was not replaced most likely. At this point in time, your pump is dead and requires replacement. The P1688 is a death code and this is a warranty issue for sure.

Like I know Diesel Auto Power sells certified Bosch pumps from both Midwest Injection and Industrial Injection.

1 hour ago, Mike wolf said:

Who did you get your pump from?

While out of the box and bad is rare it does happen. 

1 hour ago, Mike wolf said:

Ye I have between 15 and 16 on my pressure gauge. 

What is it at idle and WOT?

44 minutes ago, dripley said:

Did you get another one? Curious as to how you fixed it.

No. I just cleaned all  Connections and  Connected them and started it and it ran rough for about 2 or 3 mins then started running good. So I think when my vp44 computer went out and I put the new one on the ecm had not realized that there was a new vp44 or all the injectors were not all  Primed. I thought about putting in old vp44 make on just to see if it was the pump or not. 

I bought the new vp44 from  Thoroughbred diesel.  Going to call them tomorrow and see if when they get my old one back if they will check it a see if was bad or not and if not send it back to me and I will send them there back. 

5 hours ago, dripley said:

Who did you get your pump from?

While out of the box and bad is rare it does happen. 

What is it at idle and WOT?

It idle it is bottom out 15 is all my gauge goes to. Thinking I may change it out to one that goes up more.

• Owner
10 hours ago, Mike wolf said:

I bought the new vp44 from  Thoroughbred diesel.  Going to call them tomorrow and see if when they get my old one back if they will check it a see if was bad or not and if not send it back to me and I will send them there back. 

T-bred... I would have documented all serial numbers and made photos of your pump just in case they claim it void warranty because of bad fuel. I'm not sure who supplies there pumps. Sad to say I've seen quite a few voided warranties with T-bred. 

3 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

:doh: Darn cell phone. I just read the last post. Now looking back on the PC yeah I screwed up.

I noticed my phone is slow to update posts sometimes. Like I went through and seen latest posts and 30min later it will say that there are posts I haven't seen that are hours old already. Something to do with mobile app I'm guessing :think: