• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Power distribution center burnt up

This is one of the main grounds for the pdc was nothing but black tap holding the wires to the ring connector. One of the heavy equipment mechanics at work said this would cause extra draw through the pdc. As I remove the old wire harness I will see what other surprises await. image.jpg.987e784d09073ded2cd5f71d667454d7.jpg

• Owner
1 hour ago, Daleb said:

This is one of the main grounds for the pdc was nothing but black tap holding the wires to the ring connector. One of the heavy equipment mechanics at work said this would cause extra draw through the pdc. As I remove the old wire harness I will see what other surprises await. image.jpg.987e784d09073ded2cd5f71d667454d7.jpg

I've got to ask what in the world else was added to that ground in that manner? Where do the wires go to?

10 minutes ago, dripley said:

Yes it might. Where in the world was this connected?

Good question where is this ground connection at?

20 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

I've got to ask what in the world else was added to that ground in that manner? Where do the wires go to?

Good question where is this ground connection at?

The more I look at it the more previous owner hack I see. Dont know that but it dont look right. 

• Like 1

• Staff

I pulled my battery tray, cruise control servo and everything and did not find any ground except one just in front of the battery tray above the headlight, but down low. Dale is that the one?

The one in the picture is pure garbage W-T would be more than appalled.

• Owner
1 minute ago, dripley said:

Sure brings new meaning to cleaning all your grounds. I have not touched half of mine if I am lucky.

I've never done any of my grounds. The only ground that got attention was the W-T ground that's it. I've never clean any of mine. I do not want to scrub the paint off and have the metal start rusting which is worse than just leaving a "good ground" just being surface dirty. 

1 hour ago, Mopar1973Man said:

I've never done any of my grounds. The only ground that got attention was the W-T ground that's it. I've never clean any of mine. I do not want to scrub the paint off and have the metal start rusting which is worse than just leaving a "good ground" just being surface dirty. 

The ones I have cleaned I dont take them to bare metal unless it is already bare metal. I just hit them with scrubby and sometimes put a new screw in them. But there are so darn many of I just get them when i come across them.

Yes it was g100 the g101 was in good shape. Sad thing is I was planning on doing all the grounds this winter when truck was parked. Guess as I install the new wire harness will make it easier to find them all. 

• Staff
1 hour ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Like I look at my ground in the driver side kick panel and left it alone. Good ground. Closed it right back up.

Same as me only I went ahead and sanded the connecting surfaces anyway. I found the chrome coating on the terminal was rather soft and sanded off easily. When I put it back together the headlights were brighter enough that you could tell. I don't know...... maybe just psychologically brighter.:)

Thanks to Dale for sharing this and showing where this important ground exists :thumb1:. Everytime I looked in there I never noticed it.

Dripley, chickens that fly in truck windows aren't very well grounded. 

Edited by JAG1

• 2 months later...

I’m in the process of putting the new harness in my truck. This wire in the pic was not connected to the truck in the old harness. It is in the harness close to the pdc and is coming out of the harness with these two plugs. I’m just wondering if the wire is connected on your trucks or if anyone knows what it is for. Also in the 3 pic is a small wire that comes out of the harness between the abs pump and the fire wall I thought it went through by the fender but now I can find where it connects. I remember it was easy to unplug. When someone has the time I would appreciate it if you could trace it. 

Thanks

Dale

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Dale,

Hope a couple other guys chime in.  But I and my brother have the same unconnected ground you have in the first picture.

The second picture COULD be the cummins ECM connectors for diagnostics.  I cannot find proof for this at the moment.  But I swear there was a place (usually wrapped up in the harness) where a connection could be made.  (I could be seeing ufos too.)

Not sure on the third picture.

I attached the connector locations for the drivers fender It might help you remember where it connects.

GL  HTH

Hag

2001 FSM Ram 8w-90-18.pdf

2001 FSM Ram 8W-90-20.pdf

2001 FSM Ram 8w-90-15.pdf

• Staff
On 10/16/2018 at 5:22 AM, dripley said:

I think G100. Sure looks like it. This looking straight down in front of the battery.

20181016_081723.jpg.ff8be6d77009e31a056bbf05945b1329.jpg

Sure brings new meaning to cleaning all your grounds. I have not touched half of mine if I am lucky.

Thank you Dripley. That one looks important enough for sure. Way down low on the flat part like Dale said. Be servicing that this weekend. A big thank you to Dale for sharing this with everyone.