• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Modern Power Point

• Staff

I put a 3 port cigarette lighter behind the dash and “permanently” installed power for my GPS and SiriusXM behind the dash. The plug on the 3 port has a 90° connection so it lives on my lower non-switch OEM plug and isn’t obtrusive at all. This way I can unplug it when the truck is parked more than a couple days. 

I then have a 12V to double USB plug I use for charging things such as a phone or iPad. 

Its similar to this one 

Cable Matters 2-Pack 10W 2A Mini Dual USB Car Charger for iPhone / Android Smartphones Including iPhone X/ 8/7, Galaxy S9/S8/Note8, iPad Air/Mini, Sony Xperia, Google Pixel/Nexus, LG G6/V30 and More https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MH3USBE/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_hPy5BbA324C2S

I don’t like the ones that are above 2A as they can damage smaller devices such as phones. 2A will charge a phone very fast and not do any damage to the battery. 

I’m not even sure I’d want to run 3A to my iPad which is designed for 2A. 

• Owner
18 minutes ago, AH64ID said:

I don’t like the ones that are above 2A as they can damage smaller devices such as phones. 2A will charge a phone very fast and not do any damage to the battery. 

I’m not even sure I’d want to run 3A to my iPad which is designed for 2A. 

LOL... Maybe iPhone (iDevices) should catch up. Android is designed for 3 Amp charge rate. Damn tiny iPhone 2 Amp chargers are too slow and don't keep up. I know my LG G5 Android phone came with 3 Amp charger straight from LG.

• Staff
4 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

LOL... Maybe iPhone (iDevices) should catch up. Android is designed for 3 Amp charge rate. Damn tiny iPhone 2 Amp chargers are too slow and don't keep up. I know my LG G5 Android phone came with 3 Amp charger straight from LG.

My iPhone will charge on it's 1A charger as fast as my dads android on his fast charger (3A??)... that just tells me that Android phones need a considerably bigger battery to have any life, so maybe Android phones should catch up and use less power :-) 

• Haha 1

• Staff
3 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Sorry, I work my phone like I work my truck. Nothing I own sits around idle or light duty. :wink: 

Haha.. me too, which is why I won't own Android, they break like Fords in my experience :-) 

There is a reason I'm restricted to apple devices for flight software. 

Edited by AH64ID
  • Haha 1

• Owner

Well Jeez... May I should give up then... M73M server is CentOS Linux. My home PC is Ubuntu Linux. Android is a family of LInux... All my stuff is going to break then.

Strange... The only phone I broke was the one I left on my tonneau cover and it blew off into the highway and a little car ran it over. To this day it still boots up, but the radio antenna was crushed. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Dieselfuture said:

If you want the redneck advice. I took my cubby hole thingy out, automatics have cup holders there, and cut some plastic out enough to get my hand in. Just cut it so it looks nice. I actually don't have that cubby hole anymore, fishing was useless anyway, I put my rear-view camera monitor there.

Yep, did the same in my old automatic.

20180824_161057.jpg

On 10/12/2018 at 6:35 PM, Mopar1973Man said:

Here we are with trucks from 98.5 to 2002 and we've got those clunky cigarette light power points. 

I know some of you have had to replace the cigarette lighter sockets and possibly the power point socket. I'm wondering what the hole in the dash measures out to I want to replace both the cigarette lighter and the power point with a pair of USB charger port. 

https://www.amazon.com/Dual-Charger-Socket-Power-Outlet/dp/B07FLTTXBD/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1539385959&sr=8-1&keywords=automotive%2Busb%2Bcharger%2B3%2BQC%2Bflush%2Bmount&th=1

If someone doesn't mind measuring out the hole for me. 

61jlRqhe29L._SL1000_.jpg

Now the reason why I'm heading this way is I want to ditch the bulky cigarette light cords. Like my Garmin 42LM is a cigarette cord which I could upgrade to a USB mini plug and buy a 6-foot cord and just plug in. I'm going to convert my Cobra Radar Detector from cigarette lighter plug to direct wire set up. Then my cell phone will have its own QC 3 port and never worry about it. Right now I've got a 3 port cigarette hub at the base of the cup holder. Rather a pain in rear end. 

If this works out I'll do the same thing to the 1996 Dodge Ram and convert it over to USB charger ports as well. Seems like more and more stuff is now charged on USB sockets and now here you are stuffing cigarette light charger in to convert 12V to 5V. It's time to upgrade. 

I got these on eBay. Perfect fit, you don't need the screen on back, they are threaded and that plastic thread holds tightly.

Screenshot_20181109-123717_eBay.jpg

Here's the view of the power plugs.

20181104_154959.jpg

Edited by SavageTusk

• Owner

I've gotta ask how in the heck are you guys pulling the old cigarette light plugs out? I see the 2 locks.

I can still my big paws up behind both plug and just touch the back of both power point and the cigarette lighter plugs. I just need to know what has to happen to get them out of the dash? 

I have a tee shaped tool that came with a GM cigarette light replacement. You stick it in on an angle and engage one of the locks then rock straight to engage the other one. That pushes them both back and the tee engages the metal cylinder and you pull it out. So you have to have something that will push the locks in and grab the metal cylinder to remove it. My tee wrench is at home or I would post a picture of it. Someone else posted a pic of one in another thread not lo g ago.

Edited by dripley
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

I've gotta ask how in the heck are you guys pulling the old cigarette light plugs out? I see the 2 locks.

I can still my big paws up behind both plug and just touch the back of both power point and the cigarette lighter plugs. I just need to know what has to happen to get them out of the dash? 

The dash plastic there is pretty tough.  I just pushed em through, breaking the brittle plastic lip ring on the old plugs.  Remove the cubby compartment to the right and you can reach the wires and plugs.

• Owner

I found a scrap piece of steel strap and ground it down to fit the cigarette lighter lever it over and was stuck. After a bit of tugging on it the locks on the black ring gave up and the entire cigarette lighter socket and the lock ring came out together. My tool is permanently stuck in the cigarette lighter. Now taking a old chainsaw file slowly working the hole open I managed to just make the hole big enough to push nearly snug in. Finally a real Android Quick Charger for the truck. My LG G5 phone sees the charger shortly after powering up. This is super nice no more parasitic draws. 

DSCF4518.JPG

I will add the nut here shortly. Daylight was short today and getting cold outside. 

Edited by Mopar1973Man
  • Like 3

58 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

I found a scrap piece of steel strap and ground it down to fit the cigarette lighter lever it over and was stuck. After a bit of tugging on it the locks on the black ring gave up and the entire cigarette lighter socket and the lock ring came out together. My tool is permanently stuck in the cigarette lighter. Now taking a old chainsaw file slowly working the hole open I managed to just make the hole big enough to push nearly snug in. Finally a real Android Quick Charger for the truck. My LG G5 phone sees the charger shortly after powering up. This is super nice no more parasitic draws. 

DSCF4518.JPG

I will add the nut here shortly. Daylight was short today and getting cold outside. 

I like the volt meter idea.  Looks good man.

• Owner

Now I'm ordering updated USB cords for my LG G5 which is a Type C cable and then a USB cable for my Garmin 42LM which is Type B Mini cable. Then the very last cigarette light plug which is the Cobra Radar Detector. I bought a hardwire kit for it. No more cigarette lighter plugs. This will leave my power point plug empty. Then the 2 cords for the USB charger but that is on a key switch circuit. No more draws to eat the batteries!

This project will be completed. Stuff will be here by Tuesday. 

• Like 1

• Owner

Got it all put together now. I got the two USB cables for both my cellphone and my Garmin GPS in black color and 6 foot long which gave more than enough for routing the cables through the dash to the device. Then the Cobra hard wire kit was great too. No more cigarette light for it. I just wired it into the terminal strip under the dash. It now on the key with engine on and not the accessory position. No more listening to it beep at store alarm while sitting in parking lots. 

Comes out of the USB charger and then head back into the dash. I've still got my other USB Cigarette plug style for down in the power point but not required now. 

DSCF4521.JPG

USB is bit thicker cable so not to break the bezel I routed to the bottom of the bezel where there is a gap to get back into the dash. 

DSCF4522.JPG

This was a PITA to route the wire for. There isn't much room left in the dash gap to get a fuse cartridge through. Should have brought the plug end up through the bottom with a piece of baling wire as a fish tape. If you are wondering the other wire is my red emergency flasher hidden behind the rearview mirror.

DSCF4523.JPG

• Like 1