• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Modern Power Point

• Owner

Here we are with trucks from 98.5 to 2002 and we've got those clunky cigarette light power points. 

I know some of you have had to replace the cigarette lighter sockets and possibly the power point socket. I'm wondering what the hole in the dash measures out to I want to replace both the cigarette lighter and the power point with a pair of USB charger port. 

https://www.amazon.com/Dual-Charger-Socket-Power-Outlet/dp/B07FLTTXBD/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1539385959&sr=8-1&keywords=automotive%2Busb%2Bcharger%2B3%2BQC%2Bflush%2Bmount&th=1

If someone doesn't mind measuring out the hole for me. 

61jlRqhe29L._SL1000_.jpg

Now the reason why I'm heading this way is I want to ditch the bulky cigarette light cords. Like my Garmin 42LM is a cigarette cord which I could upgrade to a USB mini plug and buy a 6-foot cord and just plug in. I'm going to convert my Cobra Radar Detector from cigarette lighter plug to direct wire set up. Then my cell phone will have its own QC 3 port and never worry about it. Right now I've got a 3 port cigarette hub at the base of the cup holder. Rather a pain in rear end. 

If this works out I'll do the same thing to the 1996 Dodge Ram and convert it over to USB charger ports as well. Seems like more and more stuff is now charged on USB sockets and now here you are stuffing cigarette light charger in to convert 12V to 5V. It's time to upgrade. 

1 hour ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Basically, the USB body is 1 1/8" (1.13"). So if your measuring 1 1/16" (1.0625") that is only another 1/16 of inch to go... 

The OD of the trim is 1 3/8". The way it fits the contour of the dash would make the power point face trim a little to big but if you shimmed it out a little you would gain the space you need to make it fit. Not sure about getting the nut on the back though, pretty tight back there. It would be worth a try. I have something similar plugged into the lower power point but its just a cheapie and works ok.

59 minutes ago, JAG1 said:

Reamer instructions say, 'No operating while Intoxicated especially on dashboards'.:smart:

Chickens cant read.

• Owner
9 hours ago, 04Mach1 said:

I just ordered one of these since it also has a voltage gauge. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07F84VVB4/ref=sspa_mw_detail_0?ie=UTF8&psc=1&th=1

I like that one more. Two 3-amp charger sockets that just perfect. Even its the same 1.13" size barrel. I was just looking at my 1996 if I could stuff one of these USB chargers in there too.

• 3 weeks later...

I would like to do this same modification. My original cigarette lighter has broken and needs to be replaced. I pulled the cup holder in an effort to gain access into the opening where the cigarette lighter goes, but its way to tight to get a hand into. I'm not sure how you would ever get a nut on the back to tighten a new usb charger in there?

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/13/2018 at 10:08 AM, dripley said:

The OD of the trim is 1 3/8". The way it fits the contour of the dash would make the power point face trim a little to big but if you shimmed it out a little you would gain the space you need to make it fit. Not sure about getting the nut on the back though, pretty tight back there. It would be worth a try. I have something similar plugged into the lower power point but its just a cheapie and works ok.

Chickens cant read.

There will be a lot of Chickens Looking at this one, don't need to read, FAX says it all

• Haha 1

• Owner
On 10/13/2018 at 10:56 AM, 04Mach1 said:

I just ordered one of these since it also has a voltage gauge. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07F84VVB4/ref=sspa_mw_detail_0?ie=UTF8&psc=1&th=1

I also just ordered my USB power point as well. I'll be installing this when I get it. I'm tired of the crappy cigarette lighter plug stuff and going to switch over to USB powered stuff. I still need to order a USB cord for my Garmin 42LM GPS. That will be two less cigarette light plugs to deal with. Be nice to have both on the normal cigarette lighter plug being that shuts off with the key. Where the power point below is constant on power. This happens to be my battery killer... :doh:

Guest 04Mach1
3 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

I also just ordered my USB power point as well. I'll be installing this when I get it. I'm tired of the crappy cigarette lighter plug stuff and going to switch over to USB powered stuff. I still need to order a USB cord for my Garmin 42LM GPS. That will be two less cigarette light plugs to deal with. Be nice to have both on the normal cigarette lighter plug being that shuts off with the key. Where the power point below is constant on power. This happens to be my battery killer... :doh:

I have mine but have yet to install it.

• Owner
9 minutes ago, 04Mach1 said:

I have mine but have yet to install it.

Oh, come on now. Get out there and get that thing stuff in the dash. Cuss and swear at the old plug getting out of the dash. Then cuss and swear at the new one getting it in the dash. I can see it coming myself too. :whistle: I'm sure I'll figure out a solution to get it in there. 

15 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Oh, come on now. Get out there and get that thing stuff in the dash. Cuss and swear at the old plug getting out of the dash. Then cuss and swear at the new one getting it in the dash. I can see it coming myself too. :whistle: I'm sure I'll figure out a solution to get it in there. 

If you want the redneck advice. I took my cubby hole thingy out, automatics have cup holders there, and cut some plastic out enough to get my hand in. Just cut it so it looks nice. I actually don't have that cubby hole anymore, thing was useless anyway, I put my rear-view camera monitor there.

20180217_174705.jpg.e1f4938d71313cde382da9e19027233c.jpg

Edited by Dieselfuture
Spelling
  • Like 1