• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Started another inframe today

Guest 04Mach1

Guest 04Mach1

I started tearing the Cat down today but had a pusher RV with an ISL that was running hot pulling hills. I ended up pulling the radiator and CAC and power washed the exterior of the cores that was packed full of dirt inhibiting air flow through the cores.

Anyway I talked to the customer and he is pretty much decided he wants to do an inframe since it's got about 1.3 million on the clock. I'll most likely be using a CAT platinum kit which consists of:

Pistons
Piston Rings
Wrist Pins
Cylinder Liners
Connecting Rods (reman)
Main Bearings
Rod Bearings 

Reman Oil Pump

Oil Cooler

Reman Water Pump
Reman Injectors
Reman cylinder head

Liner seals 
Head gasket set
Oil pan gasket
Fuel injection gasket kits
Exhaust manifold sleeves
Oil pan isolator assemblies
Exhaust manifold high temperature studs
Thermostats
Valve cover gear seat
Advanced efficiency oil filters
Advanced efficiency fuel filter
Lock nuts (3/8-16-THD)

Total out the door will be around $23,000 out the door to inframe the 6NZ Cat C15.

3zgoeCc.jpg

0AAv8Ji.jpg

IqUJH3u.jpg

gAeJVg9.jpg

Guest 04Mach1
1 hour ago, 01cummins4ever said:

The owner should be able to soak up that cost within a year, depending on how the truck is worked and the shape the rest of truck is in

Does that price include turbo or radiator or anything else that may need replaced while your at it

That price should have the Cat purring good again. Turbo was replaced about a year ago and is still in great shape. The radiator seems ok too. I will have to re-hose the truck though because the fuel that got into the cooling system made all the hoses spongy.

Truck is still in decent shape. It could use a new drivers seat but otherwise no real issues other than the engine. It's a 2002 KW W900L that hauls propane in Texas, New Mexico, Colorado, Utah, and Arizona.

Guest 04Mach1

More pics... Took me darn near 6 hours to get the 26 head bolts out due to rust and corrosion. Not even my 1" IR impact was breaking them loose. It took a torque multiplier and a lot of patience to get them out without breaking them off in the block.

WB5JO2i.jpg

2xpjwWz.jpg

YmOY2Vs.jpg

sAHm7y1.jpg

cprFFI8.jpg

IK2UMmS.jpg

xPaXqVr.jpg

H5lRgUr.jpg

OzL5MrK.jpg

6TP4Io4.jpg

4d4q3WM.jpg

OaSmsYL.jpg

c63TdmQ.jpg

0ZwkHNv.jpg

Guest 04Mach1
15 hours ago, NIsaacs said:

How do you not split the small 12 point socket? I really dislike big bolts with small heads. 

I used a 3/4" drive 3/4" 12 point Snap-on impact socket. It's a pretty durable socket. Then when the bolts laughed at my Aircat 3/4 impact I used a Carlyle 1" drive to 3/4" drive adapter with my IR 1" impact and 4 out of the 26 head bolts laughed at the 1” impact. I then dug out my Proto 18.5:1 torque multiplier and managed to break the remaining 4 bolts loose.

For those who work on heavy equipment I definitely recommend a good torque multiplier. My Proto 6232 torque multiplier cost me $1900 but has saved me many woes with obnoxiously tight or siezed fasteners.

http://www.protoindustrial.com/en/industrial-tools/Proto/Precision-Torque-Tools/Torque-Multipliers/600fcaaf-5cc5-4579-8d41-9d9a9d242446_Proto®-Torque-Multipliers-3200-Ft-Lbs/

This is the 3/4 drive 12 point impact socket set I have. Seems 3/4", 7/8", and 15/16" are about the only sizes I use out of the set since they are the only ones that show signs of use.

https://store.snapon.com/164-Shallow-12-Point-inches-17-pc-3-4-Drive-12-Point-SAE-Flank-Drive-reg-Shallow-Impact-Socket-Set-nbsp-3-4-ndash-1-3-4--P738174.aspx

Edited by 04Mach1

Guest 04Mach1

I just can't catch a break. Waiting on parts for both in-frames I have going and I thought it was going to be F--- Off Friday. Anyway had a local oil company bring in their 2006 KW T300 with a Cat C7 for a simple thermostat change due to running hot. I drained the coolant and found a lot of fuel in the coolant. Customer wanted inspection to find source of fuel getting into coolant. Pulled injectors and found all 6 injector cups leaking with cooling system under pressure. C7's are mf'ers to get the injector cups popped out of the head. Took me 5 hours just to get injector cups out.

rU389ua.jpg

do0rMek.jpg

1AgzDiQ.jpg

esBePr1.jpg

XeNtJ0p.jpg

6h89sSb.jpg

Guest 04Mach1
8 minutes ago, Killer223 said:

what local oil company? i use bradco in holbrook, they ahev some great deal on oil. and free delivery to Flagstaff on Tuesdays.

Carver Oil in Milan, NM. He mostly deals in Phillips 66.

Guest 04Mach1

Finished getting another 6NZ Cat back together together. It had cylinder 3 intake rocker fail and badly damaged the cam. This one has 2.5 million miles on the block and 1.5 million miles since the last inframe. Cam and rocker were originals to the engine so 2.5 million miles on them.

715YdBP.jpg

qXV5AMZ.jpg

I forgot to get a picture of the rocker.

Guest 04Mach1

Well I got the CM871 ISX back together. Sorry no pictures of it going back together since I had to wait for Cummins to make the Pistons and Liners. Customer was in a hurry for the truck so I had to get it back together. Took me 13 hours to roll new bearings in, stab liners and pistons, install head and to the finished product. I always leave CAC pipes off on first start so in case a run away occurs I can choke the air easier.

Guest 04Mach1

Had a Cat Acert C15 come in with excessive steam coming out of the stacks and blowing coolant out of the radiator. Blowed head gasket at cylinder 1 leak is the cause. Apparently it's been an ongoing issue since the bearings are damaged from the coolant contamination of the oil. Zoom in close and the pitting of the bearing surfaces. 

UuCLPnN.jpg

Main bearings

PYCBAbW.jpg

Rod bearings

Guest 04Mach1

What will I find when I pull the cylinder head off this 2014 Volvo D13 engine tomorrow? This engine has a definite bad head and I'm betting liners are trashed also. I saw a crap ton of empty Prestone light duty automotive coolant jugs in the sleeper... Most likely the wrong coolant for the application causing major engine damage. 

Below is a picture of the view inside the head where the thermostat goes.

Uy3WwDR.jpg

Guest 04Mach1

I believe it ran low on coolant many times too. The surge tank has a hole in it and will not hold coolant. I think it's possible the radiator is leaking also. I'll definitely be pressure testing the cooling system after known bad parts are replaced. There are signs of severe overheating also, soft rubber gaskets feel like hard plastic.

I started getting the head off but some parts came in for other in progress projects so I finished those instead. All I have to do to have the head off is loosen 38 head bolts.

The overhead looked good even though overheating occurred.

kBwGjtY.jpg

wYoxE0y.jpg