• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Engine stumbles

On 11/12/2018 at 10:47 AM, Marcus2000monster said:

Mike I think we’re off track. @pepsi71ocean mentioned that he raised his pop pressures to 322 and had a smoother idle and less smoke. I was just wondering if they’re was any reason I couldn’t do the same thing and set mine at 320 or so being mine are 75s and his were 100s. I would love decreased smoke and smoother idle. 

You have a manual, I believe it will be easier for you to run higher pop pressures then me, being i have a built auto. I would say 320 should be good for you, My 100's I wish i popped higher to 325.

But If you do get them repopped, please let me know what the side effects are, and drivability issues as I'm writing up an article for this for future use.

6 hours ago, pepsi71ocean said:

You have a manual, I believe it will be easier for you to run higher pop pressures then me, being i have a built auto. I would say 320 should be good for you, My 100's I wish i popped higher to 325.

But If you do get them repopped, please let me know what the side effects are, and drivability issues as I'm writing up an article for this for future use.

Thanks Pepsi. What side effects have you seen?

HATS OFF TO DAP!!!!!!

I just got home and my injectors were delivered. According to the paperwork, 4 of the 6 wouldn't even pop. The 2 that did were in the 270 range. They cleaned and installed 6 new nozzles under warranty and repoped them for 330 average.  Thanks again to DAP, and I will update once they are installed. Probably be this weekend. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, mossyoak71 said:

HATS OFF TO DAP!!!!!!

I just got home and my injectors were delivered. According to the paperwork, 4 of the 6 wouldn't even pop. The 2 that did were in the 270 range. They cleaned and installed 6 new nozzles under warranty and repoped them for 330 average.  Thanks again to DAP, and I will update once they are installed. Probably be this weekend. 

How old were your injrctors?

How many miles were on them?

I've been having a dead spot when engine is cold at around 1000 rpm not sure if it's injector related but kinda seems that way. Mine were supposed to be poped to 320, it's only been few months and few thousand miles. Not sure what to think yet, may wait till next spring when it's wormer and see if it gets better. Could be pop pressure related. Kinda getting tired of taking injectors out though. Want to drive it for 100k without doing anything but oil changes ha ha.

4 minutes ago, Dieselfuture said:

I've been having a dead spot when engine is cold at around 1000 rpm not sure if it's injector related but kinda seems that way. Mine were supposed to be poped to 320, it's only been few months and few thousand miles. Not sure what to think yet, may wait till next spring when it's wormer and see if it gets better. Could be pop pressure related. Kinda getting tired of taking injectors out though. Want to drive it for 100k without doing anything but oil changes ha ha.

You probably just jinxed yourself because you said that lol! 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Dieselfuture said:

I had about 30,000 on them and I just wonder if it's something in the system that's causing it cuz I've got a set of DDP ones and they act up really bad so I don't know. Anybody out there with any experience with this like to know if there's anything that could cause it I'm new to Cummins so this is all a learning curve

I had ddp 120s that were smokey and laggy too. Terrible. They were brand new full price from xdp. Even checked  over a second time by ddp. Went with Don at f1 diesel per Jacobs advice and it's the best thing I ever did. My 220s from Don smoke half as much as the ddp 120s. I went with the size don reccomnended. Jacob says f1 or infinite performance or Haley speed. That's all I'd ever go with now after my experience

Edited by rogerash0

I'm in the middle of reading this topic "Testing Injector Pop Pressure in the real world" and starting to understand the pop. You know trying to get a powerstroke person to forget everything they know and learn the Cummins is not easy. I guess it's the simplicity of the Cummins that's the hardest to digest, like taking a step back in time.

• Haha 1

I have a couple sets of new nozzles for 98-2002 24v by Mark Wilson (from the original PDR outfit) laying around somewhere.

Every set of nozzles/sticks (close to 2 dozen across various generation trucks) I've run/installed made by him have been outstanding.

Shoot him an email via his website dieseltuff.com and get his advice on nozzles/mods/POP pressures.

Very competitively priced, pretty much a next day turnaround, and he is not a middleman but a builder.

Couldn't be happier. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mossyoak71 said:

Man what a difference. Smoke is all but gone, idle is quite, and it does run a lot better. Thanks DAP for the quick turnaround. 

Can I ask what pop pressure they were at, what you set them to, And anything else you noticed, things like turbo lag, or smoke, spool up. and if there is any mpg difference? I noticed you have twins?

Edited by pepsi71ocean

52 minutes ago, pepsi71ocean said:

Can I ask what pop pressure they were at, what you set them to, And anything else you noticed, things like turbo lag, or smoke, spool up. and if there is any mpg difference? I noticed you have twins?

well when I send them in four of them wouldn't even pop two of them were like 270 range. There's really no turbo lag cuz I have twins they light pretty quick. Smoke is just a haze I'm very pleased with the smoke for once now I can control it and stop and go traffic. Granted I haven't put the wiretap to it yet but these injectors are more than what I wanted which is a good thing cuz I can dial and back with the quadzilla. I did have an issue with stalling at first but then I looked at my tune that I had done for the 7 x 12 and they were starting off at 75% so I update to start off at 80% at 1 psi and I haven't had an issue since. Also I had them pop to 330, and they got the average to 329.

• 2 weeks later...

Well here we go again, I just want to take my 44 magnum 300 grain hollow points and just see how this engine will hold up!!! To say I'm disgusted is an understatement. Granted the engine idles better, and I do get better milage. The power is there when I need it. I just don't like feeling like I'm on a bucking horse going down the highway. With no weight on the truck, I thought it was just a tire out of balance. Today I hooked up to my gooseneck 20' and it bucked to no end at 55mph. Fuel pressure is good at a constant 18psi. The only thing I haven't changed is the VP44. It is driving me insane, and to top it off I can't figure out how to data log the quadzilla. When you hit data log it just shows the highest number reached in each category. The numbers never change. So how do I know when the data log has started? Getting really frustrated with this issue, and I know I won't be able to tow my 5th wheel like this. Seems to be getting worse. No codes, so anyone got any suggestions.