• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Truck doesn't have lift pump?

Ok, so as my title states, my truck never came with a lift pump. I only have a FASS titanium fuel pump, and huge lines running straight to the vp44. Would it help anything by putting in a stock lift pump later? Or can I just keep my current setup? Lately it's been loping kind of funny now and then. I'm terrified my vp is getting ready to **** the bed. I'm heading to Williston ND tomorrow to start work Monday, but that's easily a 16hr drive for me, if not longer. After Gillette WY there's alot of empty roads and no service....

Im going to change the fuel filter and water separator just to be safe before I go. The truck has made it from Casper Wyoming to Dickinson Nd, back pulling a trailer, and made it to NM, and back ok. I just don't want to push my luck though.... 

You will need to see what pressure you have at idle and more importantly WOT, this traveling down the road under load. I would highly advise getting one installed in the cab. If the lift fails and you dont know it has the VP will go next. Proper fuel pressure is the life blood of the VP. Minimum at WOT should be 14 psi and idle anywhere above. 20 psi is more than enough at idle.

21 hours ago, Ravewolf said:

Ok, that's good to know. But now I worry more because my truck lopes now and then. Hoping it's not the vp but I haven't tested it yet so we'll see. 

One of the best things you can do for your VP44 is run on the top half of your fuel tank. Low fuel = hot fuel= hot VP.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, NIsaacs said:

One of the best things you can do for your VP44 is run on the top half of your fuel tank. Low fuel = hot fuel= hot VP.

While I cannot disagree with the logic of this, it is something I have never done. I have always run my fuel down where I put in 30+ gallons. If it is a interstate run I am on I dont stop until somewhere around the low fuel light comes on. If I am towing I wont stretch it quite that far. I have always wondered what the fuel temp is in that situation just not enough to put a means on the check it with.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, dripley said:

You will need to see what pressure you have at idle and more importantly WOT, this traveling down the road under load. I would highly advise getting one installed in the cab. If the lift fails and you dont know it has the VP will go next. Proper fuel pressure is the life blood of the VP. Minimum at WOT should be 14 psi and idle anywhere above. 20 psi is more than enough at idle.

I'm going to install one as soon as I get my first check from my new job. Just hoping she makes it long enough. It's probably good, but after everything I read, and how many miles it has, I worry. 

Is it doing anything out of the ordinary other than a little lope now and then? I would look into at least a pyrometer also. 33's + 150's + the Edge ought to equal a smokey hot truck especially on 3.55's. 4.10's would be better. 

If you have the cash a FP, EGT, and Boost gauge is a good combo to have. You can usually find a decent deal on the 3 gauge set up.

7 hours ago, dripley said:

Is it doing anything out of the ordinary other than a little lope now and then? I would look into at least a pyrometer also. 33's + 150's + the Edge ought to equal a smokey hot truck especially on 3.55's. 4.10's would be better. 

If you have the cash a FP, EGT, and Boost gauge is a good combo to have. You can usually find a decent deal on the 3 gauge set up.

I have an egt gauge and boost gauge on my edge module. Also has a fuel pressure gauge but doesn't have the sensor. The lope more often than not, but I changed the fuel and water filters last night, and she seems to be doing a bit better. I also threw some stanadyne in the tank. 

My only other worry is the fuel pump will audibly prime the system now. When I first got the truck it would prime up loud. Then for some reason it went away one day. Now that I changed filters last night, it's back to being loud again. I wonder if the old filters were junk and it wasn't letting much fuel through? It feels like it did when I first got her, which was really nice. Probably helped adjusting the valves too. 

I did play with my apps sensor too, now it's throwing a p0122 code. But I found it wasn't opening up to 3.8 all the way so I messed with the rear back stop. For the life of me it wouldn't read accurately on two voltmeter gauges. I'll play with it more tomorrow and see if I can get the code to go away. 

Thanks for the help guys. 

44 minutes ago, Ravewolf said:

My only other worry is the fuel pump will audibly prime the system now. When I first got the truck it would prime up loud. Then for some reason it went away one day. Now that I changed filters last night, it's back to being loud again. I wonder if the old filters were junk and it wasn't letting much fuel through? It feels like it did when I first got her, which was really nice. Probably helped adjusting the valves too. 

I know you plan on getting a FP. gauge, but It would have detected this in a drop or erratic fuel pressure.  keep us posted 

Your fass being loud is just air/cavitation after you changed filters. I dought your filters were clogged, but this is where fuel pressure gauge shines, not only its good to have driving down the road but let's say it's been in 18-19psi range for a year and now you're noticing it being 16-17 then if nothing else has changed like colder weather, maybe it's time for filter change and reason I say maybe is sometimes it's spring and ball in return to tank from fass that can cause pressure drop and a loud noise that you heard. 

What apps do you have, stock or timbo? 

When you get extra money and not sure what to spend it on get a timbo. Mike has them here in online store.

As for the lope, if you have no codes it could be injectors. ECM is in control at idle, unless you have ac noise that is messing with electrical then check your alternator and do the ground mod if you haven't yet. It really helps in more than one way. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Dieselfuture said:

Your fass being loud is just air/cavitation after you changed filters. I dought your filters were clogged, but this is where fuel pressure gauge shines, not only its good to have driving down the road but let's say it's been in 18-19psi range for a year and now you're noticing it being 16-17 then if nothing else has changed like colder weather, maybe it's time for filter change and reason I say maybe is sometimes it's spring and ball in return to tank from fass that can cause pressure drop and a loud noise that you heard. 

What apps do you have, stock or timbo? 

When you get extra money and not sure what to spend it on get a timbo. Mike has them here in online store.

As for the lope, if you have no codes it could be injectors. ECM is in control at idle, unless you have ac noise that is messing with electrical then check your alternator and do the ground mod if you haven't yet. It really helps in more than one way. 

OK, so it's nothing major then with the fuel pump, Good to know. I changed the fuel filters night before last. 

As for my apps, not sure. It looks new, and it didn't have a voltage setting sticker on it. I planned on buying the timbo one when I get money. 

Gentlemen, I'm about to head off to North Dakota. Pray to the diesel gods for me. But thank you for the help again! 

6 minutes ago, Ravewolf said:

OK, so it's nothing major then with the fuel pump, Good to know. I changed the fuel filters night before last. 

As for my apps, not sure. It looks new, and it didn't have a voltage setting sticker on it. I planned on buying the timbo one when I get money. 

Gentlemen, I'm about to head off to North Dakota. Pray to the diesel gods for me. But thank you for the help again! 

One way to know if you apps is aftermarket is where it plugs in. On the OE apps, the wiring harness pugs directly into the sensor. The Timbo has a pig tail off the sensor that the harness plugs into. That puts the connection out from behind the bell crank assembly.

On 11/24/2018 at 8:44 PM, Ravewolf said:

I did play with my apps sensor too, now it's throwing a p0122 code. But I found it wasn't opening up to 3.8 all the way so I messed with the rear back stop. For the life of me it wouldn't read accurately on two voltmeter gauges. I'll play with it more tomorrow and see if I can get the code to go away. 

Thanks for the help guys. 

Sounds dumb but I was told to not adjust the stop, but to adjust the voltage below the idle voltage on the sticker?

1 hour ago, pepsi71ocean said:

Sounds dumb but I was told to not adjust the stop, but to adjust the voltage below the idle voltage on the sticker?

the TIMBO apps dont have a sticker to adjust voltage to. There is some voltage reference in the instructions.but I have just adjusted mine with the idle screw, if that is what they call it. I have no issues with this method.