• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Homemade bumper

Thanks Dmaney

Dieselfuture thanks a lot for the build pics. They look really nice.  I wasnt sure how i was going to make the front bumper brackets but after seeing yours i think ill copy your design. Your front bumper style is right along with what i have drawn up. Im going to have a winch in mine though. I too built a front receiver and have a homemade winch mount i can use in it and the rear receiver but that thing is 76 pounds. You slip on snow or mud carrying it you're going to get hurt. 

Homemade front receiver. When i build the front bumper ill remove this and build the receiver into the bumper. 

20190207_171433.jpg

20190207_174148.jpg

20190207_174156.jpg

• Like 1

This thing is too heavy to hang for some pics so these are all i got. Ready for paint unless anyone can tell me something i missed or something i need to add.

20190322_164757.jpg

20190322_164809.jpg

20190322_164908.jpg

20190322_164817.jpg

20190322_164831.jpg

I used the factory license plate lights. The leds are from Amazon. The trailer plug is newer ford part that has 7 way and flat 4 connectors under separate covers. From what i can tell gm, ford , and Mopar are all using something similar if not the same. I just used what was easy to find in Pull-A-Part. Lots of dead fords there. D-rings were given to me by a friend. He said he took them off an old wrecker his shop scrapped years ago.

• Like 4

• Owner
1 hour ago, Marcus2000monster said:

Mike is right steel does weigh a ton but who cares your goal is to prevent body damage and steel is going to work better for that than aluminum!

Yea... true but don't whine about super low MPG after strapping on an extra half ton of bumpers. Rather common up here the ranchers do the same thing put on heavy bumpers and steel flatbeds and wonder why the truck dropped from the nice 19-21 MPG to mere 14 to 16 MPG. Weight is weight still takes fuel to move the extra weight. 

Edited by Mopar1973Man
  • Like 1

• Owner
2 hours ago, 01cummins4ever said:

IMHO.. these trucks need more weight on the *** end anyway  :thumbup2:   

Just like my buddy thought too. Taken a 3rd gen flatbed and heavy front bumper and increased overall truck weight by 1,400 pounds. Now trying to gain MPG back and lower EGTs which now are higher.

Mopar1973Man. Goal was build something as strong as i could that didnt weigh TOO much for as cheap as possible that would protect the rear of my truck. I have around $100 in this build. Im not whining about the weight but hanging this thing by myself for a few pics wasnt happening.

Marcus2000monster 

Dave110

Thank you both. With all the traffic and lights around here I've been getting 12-14 mpg in the winter. Milage already sucks when 50% of my driving is stop and go.

Edited by Gregturley
Spelling

• Owner
59 minutes ago, Gregturley said:

Im not whining about the weight but hanging this thing by myself for a few pics wasnt happening.

Kind of figured. They get heavy really quick. I like the bumper as well just know that there is that weight factor. I've seen plenty I'd love to have on my truck just too heavy for my blood. My problem is I haul heavy in the summertime hauling firewood and my RV.

Image result for mopar1973man scale

22 minutes ago, Dieselfuture said:

My mileage suck above 65mph if I stay under that I'm over 20, so it's more to do with speed and tire size imo.

So far with my lastest tune I've managed a solid 18 MPG at 80 MPH on the I-84 on the last weekends tank. Then my 65 MPH is netting right at 19.6 MPG on the last tank. My 55 MPH shows to be in the 24-25 MPG mark range on Quadzilla which is very close to right.

Capture+_2019-03-23-19-05-43.png

• Like 1

I plan on a Quadzilla in the future but right now the priorities are paying off some bills. If i can get a judgement against the idiot that hit me i am setting aside money from that (if he pays) for the Quad and a valve body. He has a court date for 3-28 and i will be there as a victim. I have an estimate for $2900.00 but theres no telling what the judge will do. 

• Like 2

I am thinking of using VHT all weather epoxy paint in satin black to paint this. Has anyone used this stuff before? Does it hold up well? I decided against powder coat because i cant easily touch it up. I have a habit of forgetting things and dont want to have to weld something else after its "done" and not be able to easily touch it up.

• 2 weeks later...