• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Quadzilla: too much lag & smoke

Guys, i really appreciate everyone's help.  I think, however, I must have a different issue.

Yes, I have lag and too much smoke; that's with Level 0.  I have tried two different tunes (one suggested here and one by DAP).  It doesn't matter what tune I use, once i raise the level 1, 2, or higher, my engine response is poor and it actually bogs down--like it's cutting out.  Bazzar .  

I checked for loose wires but could not find any.  It's obviously making its connection by virtue of having an effect; an effect however contrary to any positive performance. 

So this is where i stand.  I might as well be on a deserted island as there are no techs out here in Miami that can tune my truck.  

Maybe Quadzilla isn't for me (?).  I have a two jobs, with little room to play.  I know, all work and no play makes Jack a dully boy.

I think your issue is mainly in that 66 mm turbo.  What are the full specs of the turbo?  

A box 66 turbo is a turd on a vp truck add a larger turbo on top and oyu have a really terrible setup.  No amount of tuning will help.  

If your 66 is a T4 with a huge exhaust housing then it is going ot be a turd plain and simple.

• Turbo Specifications:
  • Compressor Wheel Inducer Diameter (mm): 66mm
  • Compressor Wheel Inducer Diameter (in): 2.6
  • Compressor Wheel Outer Diameter (in): 3.6
  • Turbine Wheel Outer Diameter (mm): 80mm
  • Turbine Wheel Outer Diameter (in): 3.14
  • Turbine Wheel Exducer (mm): 73mm
  • Turbine Wheel Exducer (in): 2.89
  • Turbine A/R: 0.91
  • Turbine Inlet Style: T4
  • Scroll Type: Twin

When we first slapped that 66 on the truck it was a monster.  I don't drag it much at all.  I drive that truck once a week if that.  Somewhere along the way, i noticed the cutting out.  it does not cut out when I am using no levels.

that turbo is going to be a turd.  Plain and simple.   add large tires and it gets worse, add a 2nd turbo and it gets worse.  

your issue is your choice in turbos.  That setup should be a 62/12cm^2 t3 with a 75mm over it.  

I thought you said you blew up a 54 mm/?

On 3/22/2019 at 7:06 PM, Miami Outlaw Diesel said:

my bad.  i'm not up on the tuning part of my truck.  I have immersed myself into doing everything else on my truck.  i figured this Quadzillia would be a cinch.  not the case.  

injectors by DAP.  Running the V2 tuning; which was given to me by DAP.  I have not followed any tuning guides; it's like algebra when I look at it and intimidating.  i don't know how to do data logs.   I'm fuked up.   Turbos, Borg Warner 66mm on top, Borg Warner 75mm on bottom.  I had a smaller turbo at first (54) and blew it up.  My setup was influenced by Felix Aleman (Outlaw Diesel Miami).

Doesn't change the fact that a box 66 turbo is a complete turd on a 2nd gen.    the only thing you can do is run a fuel aggressive tune in the hopes of getting the turbo to light faster. 

by in far the most commonly used vp twin setup is a 62 /75 twin setup.  

The tunes people suggested for you wouldn't work well when trying to light a box 66 turbo.   

try this one

62/73.4 will fit in your T4 .91  and would be less expensive as you would not need a turbine housing (save about $160, or $210 if its hx40 cut)

Would be better to do a 62/68/.83 T4 for the faster spool up, and you can sell the 66mm with a housing if you decide you want to keep the 62mm.

Felix can get a discount on the parts for you.

• Thanks 1

ok.  before anyone wants to shoot me, i left out a detail in my original post (after complaining too much smoke & lag; raising a power level causes engine to cut out and bog).  I am not getting a reading on my FUEL PRESSURE on my quadzilla.  zero.  would this cause a major problem like I'm having?

@Miami Outlaw Diesel Do you have a reading of 0 PSI constantly, and do you have our fuel pressure gauge setup? I agree with most of the comments above, tuning is not going to solve your issues.  It may help, but with your secondary being too large it won't fix anything. As mentioned, a 62/68/.83 would be ideal. If you have a mechanical fuel pressure gauge, what are your readings on there?

14 minutes ago, Quadzilla Power said:

@Miami Outlaw Diesel Do you have a reading of 0 PSI constantly, and do you have our fuel pressure gauge setup? I agree with most of the comments above, tuning is not going to solve your issues.  It may help, but with your secondary being too large it won't fix anything. As mentioned, a 62/68/.83 would be ideal. If you have a mechanical fuel pressure gauge, what are your readings on there?

zero PSI constantly.  I have no mechanical fuel pressure gauge setup.  I use the quadzilla on the Ipad.  It was running great with the present setup.  Now that I am thinking about it longer, the fuel pressure ZERO reading issue was about the same time I was noticed the cutting out and bogging issue after stepping up a level from default.  

From the pictures you sent me, it looks like the fuel pressure sensor is mounted directly to the lift pump without a snubber. It could be that pressure spikes took out the sensor and it needs to be replaced. If you truly had 0 psi of fuel pressure then your truck probably wouldn't be running. However, it is still possible that the truck is running out of fuel. Can you hear the lift pump turning on?