• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

What fluid for the 47re Trans?

• Staff

Since all fluid is never drained unless the trans gets rebuilt, is it okay to mix ATF +4 with ATF+3 trans fluid that stays in the VB and TC? My truck has to get ready for a 1400 miler running with, heaven forbid....... IBMobile :lmao:His coffee like burnt trans fluid, but wakes up old pliestocene fossils like me.:thumb1:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• Staff

At 30,000 it was done by the dealer using ATF +4

At 60,0000 it was done by you know who using ATF +3

At 90,000 done again by the same ykw using either one cause I didn't ask which they used...... I should just go the +4 then right? Won't hurt to mix?

• Staff
30 minutes ago, dripley said:

I would just wait on ATF 5, it has to coming soon says the chicken.

I heard it has some chicken fat making it sorta slimey.......:whistle:

Just got done. Dumped out 10 qts and put a little less than 10 back in. I really like the Mag Hytech pan. It has a nice drain plug with a magnet and stop on it so you don't over tighten the O ring. Nicely machined and supposed to strengthen the trans cse to some degree also. 

• Like 2

I've done quite a bit of research on oil for these trans. Learned a lot from the guys using 727's for racing as well. I've decided on John Deere Hy-Gard, the Low Viscosity version, J20D. I don't want to start an oil war here. I have my reasons. I just picked up 30 liters last week to flush and fill with my new rebuilt trans and converter.

I don't want to use an oil that promotes slippage for comfortable shifting. I want the clutches to grab and hold on for dear life.

• Staff
11 hours ago, kzimmer said:

I've done quite a bit of research on oil for these trans. Learned a lot from the guys using 727's for racing as well. I've decided on John Deere Hy-Gard, the Low Viscosity version, J20D. I don't want to start an oil war here. I have my reasons. I just picked up 30 liters last week to flush and fill with my new rebuilt trans and converter.

I don't want to use an oil that promotes slippage for comfortable shifting. I want the clutches to grab and hold on for dear life.

As in Deere Life?  :duh:

I understand, the ability to lube the trans yet allow the clutches to grab better..... is less wear on the clutches, less heat build up so fluid holds up better. I believe that stuff is used in their hydrostat transmissions.

Edited by JAG1

Yeah I think that's the challenge with ATF, and especially with tractors with hydrostatic transmissions, wet clutches similar to ours, and also a need to power hydraulic implements and lubricate components in extreme situations. I'm confident that it'll do well.

• Staff
2 hours ago, Mopar1973Man said:

For factory 47RE I would stick to the ATF+4. 

I did..... about 10 qts. total because of the deep dish pan. It shifted nicely after. Truck just turned 100,000 last week. Only put on 5,000 miles on last year and still need to change oil and filter.

• Staff
5 hours ago, dripley said:

I would not have broken 100k yet with that amount of driving. I cnange mine 3 or 4 times a year.

I used to have to do the same, Oil and filter on the engine I mean, not to confuse that one.

I seem to be able to make life a little easier each year less and less running around. Thankful for that. I do have a weeks work 65 miles away coming up late summer, but a great place to work too.

Edited by JAG1

14 minutes ago, JAG1 said:

I used to have to do the same, Oil and filter on the engine I mean, not to confuse that one.

I seem to be able to make life a little easier each year less and less running around. Thankful for that. I do have a weeks work 65 miles away coming up late summer, but a great place to work too.

I went from 900 mile round trip to 300 mile and now back up to 500 mile round trip for the next job. All thats weekly by the way. It is on the north side of Atlanta in Marietta. Not to happy about the locality but it is a BBQ house and not a chicken house for a change. I will be the pig man for a while.

• Staff

Dripley, Please be driving careful around there bud, I hope you get travel and living expenses with that too. :thumb1: Job I'm on now a tank will last me two weeks and is all country roads.

Edited by JAG1

20 minutes ago, JAG1 said:

Dripley, Please be driving careful around there bud, I hope you get travel and living expenses with that too. :thumb1: Job I'm on now a tank will last me two weeks and is all country roads.

I driven that stretch of highway more times than I like. Lived in Marietta for 9 years. Left back in 91 or 92. The people clock they had there had just crossed 1 million when I left. It was too crowded for me then and now there is about 3.7 million people in the greater Atlanta area. Almost as bad as working around DC.

I would not go if were not for travel and living expenses. I can stay at home and work for nothing. This job is going to last about 24 weeks. 

• Like 1

• Staff

I'm glad they pay you for all the heart ache with working out of town. It can be very tiring.  Big cities make it more difficult just as 40 years ago I dropped out of a college because of big city complications. I Went and found me a college with cow pastures still around it. Loved the methane gas.... it were far better. :thumb1:

Even Mopar73Man, years ago, escaped to Methane Gas Valley. :thumb1:

Soon you'll be retired I hope Dripley before any age complications. I'm semi retired, basically work enough to stay strong and have fun b.s. with the subs. I don't think I'll ever give it up being there is a certain fun associated with low stress and that swing between work and play. I love that.

I did quit smoking and I suffered getting there for sure and still dream about having a smoke of rare quality..... you know how dreams are...... but just had to quit because with age, every cig was just killing me. I'd lose the ability to work and be active if I didn't stop. I hope you can too cause I'm having a lot more fun now than before.

Edited by JAG1
  • Like 1

Ford f fluid for  crispy shifting.

Ford f mixed with tractor transmission mission fluid 

Multi vehicle synthetic 

DeX fluids 

Atf+4

Water.

Atf 4 ranking just above water in my list.

I would not worry one bit about any 727 based tranny with red fluid in it. Level and service intervals are more important than kind of red fluid used.

Filter, bands  filter filter  filter fresh fluid.

• Like 1