• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Daves $100 garage

dripley

The plywood floor for the cherry picker has yet to be laid. Closest thing to a garage my drive way has seen. Had a pop up canopy that folded up during a t storm. Hope this one doe not at least until the head gasket is dealt with plus a few other things.

• Owner

Now head over to HF grab a bag of shop rags. You'll need it. When the head is pulled off you'll be laying fresh clean shop rags over the exposed block. When the new head comes to make sure that all cylinders are clean and no debris in the cylinders before placing the head. That is one heavy chunk of cast iron. 

• Like 1

I am covered on the rags. Got a couple bags. I praying for no t storms, my garage is pretty much a sail. Start the tear down on Monday sometime. Even found a local machine shop. Same folks I used many years ago. They are familiar with the 5.9 and one mechanic I know reccomened them also one I did not know said the same thing.

• Staff

Clean the top of the block so it's ready for the head gasket and head.   Now spray a light coating of oil on the surface to keep it from rusting.  Cut a piece of cardboard a little larger than the top of the block and lay it on the block then put a 2x4 or plywood on top of that to hold it in place. 

When you are ready to put the head on remove the cardboard and clean the surface with brake clean but leave the cylinder walls wet with oil.

The corporate garage    

445266730_20190323_160855.jpg.a54fe7e8df180d198e0e50abc0ec5a291.jpg.5e2356a41e70118805470ecdd559d70a.jpg

Edited by IBMobile
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, Manimalmother said:

I'm an hour south of Dave and the winds picking up and clouds rolling in.  

Cloudy misty lightly breezy and cold here all morning.   Starting to lighten up now. The mist has stopped anyway. It was that light mist that drifts horizontally and does not care whether you are covered or not.