• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Stock EGT temps

I have never had a stock truck with gauges but I just put this cheap digital egt gaug/probe in and it seems like temps should be higher than they are.

https://www.amazon.com/Digital-Gauge-Alarm-Outputs-Sensors/dp/B01N6V9RZR/ref=pd_ybh_a_61?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=X4R7KMR9CE7QKT1P3PSB

First start idle was about 165* after a minute or so and then I stomped on it after I got the coolant up to temp and it took nearly a full throttle run to 70 to get up to 800*. The only mods to engine are stock plate slid forward and star wheel turned a few clicks. Ive slid the afc housing forward but backed the smoke screw out so smoke is at a minimum without the truck being a dog. Normal driving temps seemed right at around 650-700* and idle when I pulled back in the drive was around 450*, I let it cool to 330* before shutting down. I was expecting to hit 1000* or so with the hard pull, does this sound normal?

• Staff

They might be accurate. I know on my 05 running my tow tune I hard a hard time breaking 1050° empty, but could break 1200° towing. 

So empty on a stock 12V tune may just not run that hot empty. 

That being said... $20 for a probe and gauge seems a little cheap, and I might not trust it. 

Wait til morning and see if it reads close to the ambient temp. 

• Owner
42 minutes ago, 98whitelightnin said:

Lower timing = lower egt’s?

Higher timing = Lower EGT's

At least on my 24V I'm running 26° of timing at 2,000 RPM in cruise state. Making in the 20 to 22 MPG now. There is other things like my pop pressure is up at 320 bar so I need more timing for the late injectors.

Being you've got a P-pump you are going to get very experienced in setting timing being that is the key factor to good MPG

Capture+_2019-04-18-18-54-10.png

NOTE: -50°F for the pyro to be right with my ISSPro Gauge then +1 MPH to right with my GPS.

Edited by Mopar1973Man
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • Owner
5 hours ago, Stormin08 said:

retarded or late timing moves the burn down into the cylinder body, thus heat soaking the coolant.

On our truck this is not true. Late or retarded timing puts more flame out the exhaust port and spools the turbo. 

Too advanced will heat soak the coolant jacket around the cylinders. This can bee seen by using the trans temp sender in the oil test port on the oil filter. Typically the oil temp should be about -10°F below coolant. Over advance the timing the oil temp can rise to +10°F above the coolant temperature.  Now I did a test run and over retarded the timing and pull the oil temperature down to -22°F below coolant. The power was way less and MPG's dropped out. Now my latest update on my Econo Tune has this in the tune and cross the 21 MPG mark with 150 HP injectors. I'm one of the rare few. 

More here...

Then the tune...

Capture+_2019-07-16-10-39-36.png

• Like 1

I ordered one of PDD's timing wheels and it came today. I tore my garage apart but couldnt find my tork tek pump gear puller so I had to order another. The big city is not my kind of life but having amazon prime and 1 or 2 day shipping is really nice so I will mess with it again when it arrives friday.

• Owner

Now here comes the fun of pulling the gear then re-index the pump and test drive for a week and then do it all over again till you hit the hot spot. I've been at it on my truck for over 6 months building this tune. At least VP44 is easier to set timing over the p-pump. Still in the end game the timing is correct the fuel usage will be down and the oil temp should be -10°F below coolant temp.