• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Long story short 

I had to replace the engine in my otherwise reliable old truck at 298000.  That part with the exception of busted knuckles and not having done it before, went off mostly okay though I’m still not completely finished, due to the challenges described below.  

While wrestling the new engine into place at the bell housing and torque converter I inadvertently squashed a white vacuum line.  I managed to get it removed from between the two sections.  Now when trying to trace it back I find there is a second (unsquished) white line.  What are these and where are they supposed to be terminated?  

Also, when the exhaust came out I now have a black rubber hose with a small metal curved pipe and bracket.  (See pic). Where did THIS one appear from?

Any and all assistance is appreciated and I thank you in advance.  Please don’t cut my throat, I’ve never tackled anything like this before. 

52B8C1E6-F893-4573-AEF4-FECDC15D85F9.jpeg

E219D020-0820-452C-BE1B-FC8B4D2AF1B7.jpeg

I would hazard a guess at the white being a vacuum line from the transfer case to the front axle if it has a CAD on it. Not sure on a 97 though. I don't know how far back they go.

The other a trans line to a cooler maybe? Mines a stick and I don't really know.

Edited by JAG1
  • Like 1

Transfer vent.  Anything attached to the fitting or just bare metal?  

Thank you for the diagram. 

Armed with this info, since the intake is still off, I can get my hands in to replace the vacuum line.  It’s brittle - except for the section I squashed.  That turned into mush.  I’m using silicone vacuum hose. Significantly more durable. 

:iagree:It is easy to work with and holds up well. Though my exhaust brake uses silicone hose, but it has strap to something or it flops all around. 

Mike has made mention of the air brake line many times and its availability at NAPA. I went to NAPA out my way 2 or 3 times and asked for it only to be looked at with a blank stare. A few weeks ago I went to a NAPA for some vacuum hose. Did not see what I wanted so I went to the counter and asked for vacuum hose. The clerk took me back to where it was and the had a rack full of "vacuum hose". Half of it was air brake line. The tubing was labeled air brake line but they called it vacuum tubing even though they did have "rubber" tubing with it.

Edited by dripley

Napa is not what it used to be. The local one in town is an original company store. The head guys from Georgia I believe came in and tore it inside out taking out what they thought didn't sell and putting in what they thought would. I was in afterwards and asked Earl what happened to the HELP rack and the shelf that had all the air chucks and fittings on it. He said that all went away shaking his head, "but look down below, we have a nice selection of Matchbox cars and air fresheners now". Then he took me in the back and let me pick a tire gauge out of the box they threw all the stuff into. What a shame. I rarely use NAPA anymore.

I’ve gone to this supplier for my new hose and check valves.  I really didn’t care about the visual aspect but more so with the overall performance. 

http://www.siliconeintakes.com/silicone-boost_vacuum-hose/

Also I have a vacuum/boost billet plenum due in a few days.  This vacuum install is NOT going to be like the factory slapdash install. 

Edited by SailingSanta
Addendum

15 minutes ago, SailingSanta said:

I’ve gone to this supplier for my new hose and check valves.  I really didn’t care about the visual aspect but more so with the overall performance. 

http://www.siliconeintakes.com/silicone-boost_vacuum-hose/

Also I have a vacuum/boost billet plenum due in a few days.  This vacuum install is NOT going to be like the factory slapdash install. 

Thats where I got my boost boots from. Holding up just fine 4 years later. Reasonably priced I might add.

1 hour ago, dave110 said:

Napa is not what it used to be. The local one in town is an original company store. The head guys from Georgia I believe came in and tore it inside out taking out what they thought didn't sell and putting in what they thought would. I was in afterwards and asked Earl what happened to the HELP rack and the shelf that had all the air chucks and fittings on it. He said that all went away shaking his head, "but look down below, we have a nice selection of Matchbox cars and air fresheners now". Then he took me in the back and let me pick a tire gauge out of the box they threw all the stuff into. What a shame. I rarely use NAPA anymore.

I like this rant. I think the people of Napa, or moreso their bean counters, should see this. 

Thanks to everyone here.  The engine replacement project is drawing to a close.  I’m hoping to make some noise tomorrow.  Still working on the exhaust pipes.  Long tube Headers and 3” pipes all the way back.  Yes, noise. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SailingSanta said:

Thanks to everyone here.  The engine replacement project is drawing to a close.  I’m hoping to make some noise tomorrow.  Still working on the exhaust pipes.  Long tube Headers and 3” pipes all the way back.  Yes, noise. 

If you ever get down to Vero Beach, I would like to hear that "noise".  Hope it fires right up.

L8tr

D

So the engine is still at #1 TDC and the rotor is pointing at the number one cylinder’s head bolt. 

Here’s my confusion.  

I’m running an electronic fuel injection with the electronic distributor.   Which means the number one wire is now, on the distributor cap, pointing to the six hole.  Coincidentally, the plug wires and cap orientation are in the exact position they were on the old distributor. 

There’s no spinning the distributor housing to have the number one wire align with the number one cylinder at TDC because the distributor housing has “ears” that prevent turning that far.  It will bind on the back of the intake manifold. 

So what do I do from here?   I don’t see how I’ll be able to sync the fuel to TDC.   One person tells me I should pull the distributor *and gear* to move and align the rotor so it points at six. 

I’m so close but don’t want to destroy anything by turning the key while having the number one wire where it is.  

I’m very confused.  The shop manual I have shows the rotor to number one as well but I wonder if there ever was anything like an addendum to re-aim the rotor somewhere else for sync.  

...or do I just have the distributor housing 180° backwards?  Pull the stem and flip it, keeping #1 TDC?

Help me Obi Wan...

Dave Rhodes 
Merritt Island, FL

Edited by SailingSanta

Picture 1:  top left shows #1 TDC

Picture 2:  verified TDC

Picture 3:  #1 plug wire removed for clarity.  Intake is red. 

Picture 4:  This shows the pickup plate.  Please notice - no timing mark or notch, etc. 

Picture 5:  This shows the rotor pointing to #1 cylinder.  Note pickup vane under the rotor. 

Picture 6:  Another view of the vane but note the cutout in the housing for the sensor. 

Now with all all this info and #1 wire being on the left side [like most vehicles have it], how is #1 going to get fuel before the TDC.  It’s going to be nowhere close to the #1 wire. 

So what’s my answer here?  Pull the distributor and use some guesswork to place the rotor close to the #1 wire?  I could pull the distributor out and rotate the housing (cap) so it kinda lines up, but then any self respecting maintenance person who looks and sees the #1 wire in the wrong location...

My brain hurts. 

I’m close to getting out my AR-10 and putting a vent in my crate engine. 

9CB819F4-2FD5-468F-B3B8-EA69F925824A.jpeg

A53E3C15-FD3A-42A7-BA18-6FD77A35031E.jpeg

1D367469-F9BE-45D5-83F3-0D3D46056BC5.jpeg

4AFC7E3D-3C71-4B9D-AD7C-F81E564F0F58.jpeg

6ECC5054-B388-40B7-AFE2-EC52FD7D5886.jpeg

12F0D5E5-49D5-4D20-91C5-6C141F2C3CA2.jpeg

Update:

I pulled the distributor this morning and fiddled my way into lifting and turning the gear so the distribution rotor now points the right way.  Distributor - foreign to all things diesel.  Anyway, All pleased with myself, it was time for installation of the battery to see if I was successful or I would witness flames and fluids everywhere. 

With trembling hands, I put the key into the ignition,.. and turned...   nuthin. 

The battery had gone to the great beyond.  Not even enough juice to make the buzzer work.  Now proud owner of a very friggin expensive battery.   Repeating this morning’s stomach butterflies I turned the key while the coil was disconnected.  I’ve got oil pressure.  Go team me.  Attached the coil wire and tried again.  It huffed once... and then again about every three/four turns.  It got surface of the sun hot so I’ve knocked off for the day.  Tomorrow I wanna try to see if advancing or regarding does anything.  I may even give it a half shot of premium right in the intake.  Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated. 

Did start art working on the vacuum plenum.   Factory way is ****.  The gauge hasn’t gotten here yet but will be installed on the left side of the rail.  

E7081B83-1886-44B6-B82D-0BA8F3E932B0.jpeg

• Like 2

Thank you. 

Obviously I’ll be cleaning up the routing of the hoses later.  My primary concern - the headers fit, although I’m dubious about one spot of the titanium wrap rubbing.  Exhaust and muffler all in and clamped.  Now I’ve got to find somewhere to hook up to a “good” (definition: expensive as hell) engine monitor to sync my fuel.  I’ve got it running but the idle is still suspect.  I’ve got to keep tickling the throttle so it doesn’t konk out.  No pressure.  I leave for a 1300 mile road trip in three days, towing a trailer.  

I’m telling you though, with the new, taller cammed engine and 3” long tube headers and pipes all the way back, she’s a throaty little girl.

Edited by SailingSanta
Typo