• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Howdy guys it’s been a while since I have posted! A lot has changed in the last few months. I sold the 2000 6 speed and bought a 99 24 valve automatic trans. The new truck has 102k miles. No rust absolute mint condition all original. I’ve got a few questions regarding the 47re that is in the new rig. First thing I’ll be doing is gauges. Trans,fuel, and boost. First off I need a rundown on what a tc lockup switch is and how it works and will it benefit my stock trans. Next is they’re some upgrades I should do to help with trans longevity? Truck is all stock with no plans to add any power. As of now the trans shifts perfect. I know some people will say I’m crazy to sell a 6 speed and buy an auto but that’s what I wanted I guess. 

990CE2DB-C9FE-4E1A-B001-76DA7D4CACD3.jpeg

Edited by Marcus2000monster
  • Like 4

I have a lock switch and have found little to no use for it. I stole the wire off it for my trans temp gauge.

If you tow heavy alot or on slow mtn roads locking in second gear good to do to help keep the tranny cooler. 

If you want a exhaust brake. Locking 3rd is handy . Without modding the valve body the switch is only capable to lock 3rd and 4th

Damn at 100k I think I do fuel gauge, fuel system then  all tranny upgrades i can do without dropping tranny.

Get transmission pressure to about 120 get some quick shifts going and good solid downshifts to second. 

And probly take that tranny to 300k.

47re is under rated and 5 and 6 speed is over rated.

Its quite the feeling towing a trailer bumping through the gears watching the boost gauge barely quiver in between shifts at 30psi

Lately I'd rather drive a 13speed than a crummy shifting 5 or 6 speed with a grabby as clutch. 

• Staff

I like my Mag Hytech trans pan with temperature gauge. It holds extra 4 qts. and has a drain and cooling fins. I like the ability to change trans fluid if it got hot in between service intervals. I Like that drain plug.

I like my mystery switches to both trucks that IBMobile set up for me. I don't like when I'm tired and forget to switch it off. It can be hard on the trans for sure if you forget to let off the throttle when going into fourth gear

4 minutes ago, JAG1 said:

I like my Mag Hytech trans pan with temperature gauge. It holds extra 4 qts. and has a drain and cooling fins. I like the ability to change trans fluid if it got hot in between service intervals. I Like that drain plug.

I like my mystery switches to both trucks that IBMobile set up for me. I don't like when I'm tired and forget to switch it off. It can be hard on the trans for sure if you forget to let off the throttle when going into fourth gear

I can see myself forgetting that a lot. I think I should leave the switch alone but the mag pan sounds like a good upgrade and also maybe bumping up line pressure and adjusting bands to start as far as trans stuff goes. Fuel system is next.

• Like 1

• Staff

Nice clean truck, you'll have fun with it.  The last time I had the trans pan off I added a drain plug to it.  I couldn't see spending the money for a bigger pan with a drain.

I use my lock up switch all the time when towing with no problems.  I really helps when keep the trans temp down when going up long grades in 3ed and engine braking coming down the mountain sides.  @JAG1 just can't remember because he's old.  1046709335_animated-smileys-thinking-371.gif.c618a19df022fe82b815585a318d7864.gif

10 minutes ago, IBMobile said:

Nice clean truck, you'll have fun with it.  The last time I had the trans pan off I added a drain plug to it.  I couldn't see spending the money for a bigger pan with a drain.

I use my lock up switch all the time when towing with no problems.  I really helps when keep the trans temp down when going up long grades in 3ed and engine braking coming down the mountain sides.  @JAG1 just can't remember because he's old.  1046709335_animated-smileys-thinking-371.gif.c618a19df022fe82b815585a318d7864.gif

Thanks I’ll look into that article! I also need to do the WT mod to prevent more lockup issues. 

I did a a ppe pan and love it

I see alot of guys saying cooler temps with the switch locked.

I can lock 3rd or 4th with over drive button saw no difference with lock switch.

I'd have to tell people who drive it. Never touch that switch it wont stop if you do. Whatever you do dont touch it. Dont bump it dont look at it wrong.

It is alittle benefit sometimes to lock sooner. Locked is locked with added switch or not. Just what I've found.

20190624_205915.jpg

• Like 1

Beautiful truck! Gotta love those long boxes. I had a lockup switch in my old 99 with a built goerend trans. Only time I used it was pulling loaded wagons up and down the road to and from the farm and back to the field. Trans temps would get high unless I locked it. Also they are a tough trans and underrated, I towed very heavy with RV275's and a smarty for years. Went to 210k before torque converter started slipping. Thats when it got the goerend  trans. Take it easy and keep up with fluid changes and it will treat you good. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Dmaney said:

Beautiful truck! Gotta love those long boxes. I had a lockup switch in my old 99 with a built goerend trans. Only time I used it was pulling loaded wagons up and down the road to and from the farm and back to the field. Trans temps would get high unless I locked it. Also they are a tough trans and underrated, I towed very heavy with RV275's and a smarty for years. Went to 210k before torque converter started slipping. Thats when it got the goerend  trans. Take it easy and keep up with fluid changes and it will treat you good. 

IT seems as if keeping fresh fluid installed and cool and adjusting bands is the key to like of the 47re? 

There's an adjustment to turn line pressure up. More pressure wont compromise anything.

Get inch ln wrench to set hands, so lots of research.

Could service it, bump pressure up alittle and be good to go for a long time

2 minutes ago, Evan said:

There's an adjustment to turn line pressure up. More pressure wont compromise anything.

Get inch ln wrench to set hands, so lots of research.

Could service it, bump pressure up alittle and be good to go for a long time

Here’s the plan: I ordered a Mag Hytec double deep trans pan, when i is y’all that I’ll install new fluid and filter and adjust the bands and bump up the line pressure to what? I found some info on how to adjust line pressure. I don’t see myself doing much power mods any time soon but if I were to go up to say around 350 hp what are we gonna need to keep the trans healthy? Also would a shift kit benefit my stock trans and truck right now?

12 hours ago, Marcus2000monster said:

Howdy guys it’s been a while since I have posted! A lot has changed in the last few months. I sold the 2000 6 speed and bought a 99 24 valve automatic trans. The new truck has 102k miles. No rust absolute mint condition all original. I’ve got a few questions regarding the 47re that is in the new rig. First thing I’ll be doing is gauges. Trans,fuel, and boost. First off I need a rundown on what a tc lockup switch is and how it works and will it benefit my stock trans. Next is they’re some upgrades I should do to help with trans longevity? Truck is all stock with no plans to add any power. As of now the trans shifts perfect. I know some people will say I’m crazy to sell a 6 speed and buy an auto but that’s what I wanted I guess. 

990CE2DB-C9FE-4E1A-B001-76DA7D4CACD3.jpeg

Be nice to keep both of them. At least you still have a photo of the old one. 

some will disagree but read up....

i have 205K miles on a bone stock 47re, the TV cable is adjusted to shift a touch later and increase pressure just slightly....i sshift WOT throttle at 3K rpm. 26-2800 is most recommendations.

i have a 75hp injector, and a canbus tuner on performance ALL THE TIME.  this truck gets played with, used and is my daily driver ACROSS THE COUNTRY.

the only other item i swapped was at 115K miles ( I purcahsed with 105K) i started servicing the trans with JOHN DEERE HYGARD HYDRAULIC FLUID low viscosity. this trans has not given me a single issue. 

so a stock truck, i would speak with DYNAMIC about the TV CABLE, keep it serviced, and a possible lock up switch if you like.,

Edited by Stormin08
corrected lead in to SOME.

15 minutes ago, Stormin08 said:

so will disagree but read up....

i have 205K miles on a bone stock 47re, the TV cable is adjusted to shift a touch later and increase pressure just slightly....i sshift WOT throttle at 3K rpm. 26-2800 is most recommendations.

i have a 75hp injector, and a canbus tuner on performance ALL THE TIME.  this truck gets played with, used and is my daily driver ACROSS THE COUNTRY.

the only other item i swapped was at 115K miles ( I purcahsed with 105K) i started servicing the trans with JOHN DEERE HYGARD HYDRAULIC FLUID low viscosity. this trans has not given me a single issue. 

so a stock truck, i would speak with DYNAMIC about the TV CABLE, keep it serviced, and a possible lock up switch if you like.,

Good to know. Sounds like JD fluid is a good one to use. 

25 minutes ago, Royal Squire said:

Be nice to keep both of them. At least you still have a photo of the old one. 

For sure but I’m not near enough financially capable to own to 24 valves. I already have 3 vehicles to drive and pay for. I have a 93 dodge Dakota automatic and a 2006 Subaru Legacy gt. I really like my car to. Gets up and goes and is awd. 

My 47re went to to 280.

I to did the tractor transmission fluid but I'm cheap I'll kit harvest king at the farm and ranch stores.  My new rebuilt 47 has a mix bunch of at4 and tractor transmission fluid in it.

Yes mine to shifts about 3000 wind open. 

Marcus 

Factory the 47re makes about 90-100psi at wide open throttle. To do it right you should get psi reading at wot off the accumulator port on the passenger side of tranny.

If tranny is in 90-100 range I would install a shift kit. I have the transgo tfod in mine. There a very good directions and pictures that explain what to do for how much power and what's upgraded on tranny..

I wouldn't go more than 120psi nit because the trann cant take it but because the computer doesnt like to see over 100psi. If it acts up you have to install a resistor to keep computer from seeing full pressure.

My tranny idles with more pressure than yours makes at wot. I'm 165ish at wot. The 47re kinda intrigues me.

Heres mu tranny on tear down I didnt build it it's the only thing I've payed yo have done.

However later I did go into the valve body and adjust 1-2 2-3 and lock up port sizes.

I have 1-2 and lock up just how I want but need to go in and increase 2-3 just alittle more to make it quicker

20180126_203143(1).png

20190406_185044.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1