• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

47re Trans Service Tips and Tricks

1 hour ago, IBMobile said:

So, that $550 covers shipping cost both ways? 

Yes, typically to SoCal that will cover both ways. We'd get an accurate shipping quote at the time of shipping. Quotes are typically good for 2 weeks.

1 hour ago, comanche79p said:

I have one on order from Dynamic. Can’t wait to get it in and going.

I worked on your transmission just today, Wade! I'm pushing hard to get it shipped by the weekend for you...

You know, I have built literally thousands of these transmissions, and I still get excited for guys to get their new transmissions in and going. Love it...!

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, JAG1 said:

What I like is you see first hand the weak points of the 47re and know what to do. Do you have any employees or is all work hands on by you?

Nope, I do all of the building around here. I have help with things like parts and bookkeeping, but all R&D and transmission builds is done by yours truly.

• Like 4

• Staff
On 8/22/2019 at 7:16 AM, Dynamic said:

Nope, I do all of the building around here. I have help with things like parts and bookkeeping, but all R&D and transmission builds is done by yours truly.

What do you find the most common problem when tearing down a stock trans that has been towing heavy and has a mild chip for mileage? Is it worn Overdrive clutches? .... Is there a common range of miles that it usually fails? T.I.A.

Edited by JAG1

I would say that the most common things I see are a worn out intermediate band and heavy distress to the direct clutch, especially in the 47RE where the factory only gave them 4 discs. The OD clutch does fail from time to time, but I don't see it real often, to be perfectly honest. Now, bear in mind, the majority of transmissions I tear down are still fully functional; guys just want them "beefed up", so I'm seeing things before the end of their life, so to speak. I will also say that in most units that I tear down, I find the bands horribly out of adjustment, especially the intermediate...like, not even close. This wreaks havoc with the 2-3 shift timing, and creates side loads on the servo cover that will wear the pin hole egg-shaped in relatively short order, which, in turn causes a loss of direct clutch pressure, adding to the distress that the direct clutch sees.

If you go through the list of equipment that I use in my builds, as well as the mods I, personally,  have developed in the valve body (where the blame lies for many of the 47RE's deficiencies), there is a VERY specific reason that I use them and have developed them. Now, there are many mods that are simply industry standard, if you will, and basically just a good idea across the board. Heck, even the "box builder" at Aamco or "Bill's Transmission" (or fill-in-the-blank transmission shop) that blindly installs a "shift kit" in addition to his off-the-shelf rebuild kit will make some of these mods, whether he even knows he's doing it or not. But, that approach falls short in many key areas, and more attention needs to be paid in quite a few areas. Pressure control in the valve body is a BIG one. The Chrysler 4-speed transmissions are quite unique, especially among their fully electronically controlled contemporaries (Ford's E4OD/4R100, 5R110W, GM's Allison 1000, etc.), in that not only is the pressure control 100% mechanical, but it operates using a series of balance signals to control the pressure level to match different situations. Through the manipulation of these balance signals, in addition to careful selection of spring rates and preloads, pressure control can be optimized (or as close as can be seen this side of full electronic control). This has truly been a trial and error process over the years and decades. If you were to tear down one of my valve bodies, or one of Dave Goerend's valve bodies, or one of the late Tony Garcin's valve bodies (or anyone who has gotten in there and really understood how they work and created their own solutions), I can assure you that what you see will be the culmination of hundreds of hours of tracing hydraulic passages, staring at hydraulic diagrams, wondering "how can I get pressure from 'here' to 'there'", and simply trying this and trying that. I guarantee you that we could all tell you a million things that don't work!

• Like 3

• Staff

That right there is why I want IBMobile to send you his trans. It's amazing what you say... had no idea of the complexity other than just a word here and there.

You talked about the intermediate band.... are there three bands? I properly adjusted front and rear only on both trucks :think:

No. There are only two bands. The intermediate band (based on its function) is also called the front band (based on its position in the transmission). The low/reverse band (function) is also called the rear band (position).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The OEM intermediate shaft is pretty strong, really. Of the 3 shafts, it is the last one I'm worried about. Everything has its breaking point, but it's plenty strong for most guys usage, especially when talking about the 2nd Gen trucks.

• Like 2

On 8/24/2019 at 6:35 AM, Dynamic said:

. This has truly been a trial and error process over the years and decades. If you were to tear down one of my valve bodies, or one of Dave Goerend's valve bodies, or one of the late Tony Garcin's valve bodies (or anyone who has gotten in there and really understood how they work and created their own solutions), I can assure you that what you see will be the culmination of hundreds of hours of tracing hydraulic passages, staring at hydraulic diagrams, wondering "how can I get pressure from 'here' to 'there'", and simply trying this and trying that. I guarantee you that we could all tell you a million things that don't work!

I asked Tony (RIP) when building VB's for him why they cost so much since the mods seemed small and simple to me.  I will be first to admit of all the conversations over several months and all he attempted to teach, he, Dave Goerend, Jon and perhaps a couple others know waaay more than I ever will.  His answer about that was he spent 10 years and about half million dollars (yes, you read that right) developing his VB.

• Like 1

I get that for sure. No doubt on the 500k, it's always endless money and countless hours for quality builds. You have to build some dollars into the experience level and talent providing your product when it comes to stuff like this.

• Like 2

I wants your valve body. Please send set it up for towing will send money when it becomes available, I promise

Prefer pressure 150-65+ will be on a single disc for now

Jag

My overdrive outlasted the bands and tourqe converter.  My truck tows hard.

Band breaking eventually caused me to call it and have it freshened up. That was at 280k.

**** I have 30k on my new tranny now

I've been in my valve body and have huge amount of respect for dynamic and those that do this. 

Sept dynamic wont tell me how to set TV stop. ?

Edited by Evan
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Evan said:

I wants your valve body. Please send set it up for towing will send money when it becomes available, I promise

Prefer pressure 150-65+ will be on a single disc for now

Let me know when you're ready, and I'll get one built for you. You'll definitely have more than 150-165 psi, though!