• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Radiator failure

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

How do I know if I'm getting the green coolant? When you look at the bottles they don't say 'green stuff' nor 'yellow stuff' nor 'orange stuff' and I want the green stuff. I hate when they change things around on old farts like me. It like they enjoy phasing out old models built like me. :think: And the printing, so dam small you can't see to drive home after squinting your eyeballs out on the floor.  

• Haha 1

• Staff

From the FSM

"STANDARD PROCEDURE—COOLANT SELECTION-ADDITIVES The presence of aluminum components in the cooling system requires strict corrosion protection. Maintain coolant at specified level with a mixture of ethylene glycol based antifreeze and water. If coolant becomes contaminated or looses color, drain and flush cooling system and fill with correctly mixed solution."

So, the factory calls for ethylene glycol, the green stuff, which has anticorrosive phosphates and silicates.  This type of antifreeze calls for a flush and change every 30,000-36,000 miles or 24-36 months.  The FSM calls for the first coolant flush and change at 52,500miles or 42 months which is to long a time and the Ph level can fall well below 8.0. 

This is one of many articles I found on engine antifreeze.

https://www.hemmings.com/blog/2014/08/01/tech-101-the-colors-of-antifreeze/

• Like 2