• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Vp44 rear bracket bolt broke in block

So...need honest answers. What's the worst case scenario if a rear mounting bracket isn't used for the vp44. I've heard of guys who had 200plus or more not notice until the vp44 change. I honestly dont feel like pulling the steering pump and try to easy out a broken bolt out of the block. Had anyone heard of anything go catastrophically wrong if there is no rear mount? 

I could be wrong but I don't think anybody on here is gonna say 'yeah don't worry about it'.  More than likely they'll advise you to fix it right...which is what I would do too.

Can you see it?  Maybe you could snap a pic of it and post it?  Maybe it's not that bad to fix. 

20170528_142737.jpg.7461535b959be50ce23564117a862de4.jpg

It could crack the gear case since the fuel lines would be the only thing holding the rear of the VP up. Then you get to pull the cam and all of the other gears to replace it. Cant say I have ever heard of that happening to anyone but its possible. 

• Owner

Not an exact answer. 

I've seen a VE pump without a rear bracket and did pretty darn good. As for VP44 they do have more weight I'd be a bit more concerned with the hanging weight. I would suggest fixing the bracket. But it won't hurt to be without the bracket for a short time while you get it repaired. 

I managed to move the vp/sp just enough to get to the broken bolts. Nice and gently with a 1/8th bit I made a hole and used an easy out and got the top stud out...then the bottom bolt had a bit of thread showing so I managed to get it out with vice grips. Phew!! My lucky day. Couple new 8x1.25 bolts and the bracket is back in business!

• Like 4

I figured I could get them out. Just haven't come across a definite answer about running the vp44 without the bracket. Some say it could crack the timing cover...where others have said they had over 200k on there truck before even knowing the bracket was broken. 

when my vp went the first time i didnt know about the bracket on the vp and had the vp unbolted but not the bracket. and the thing wouldnt come out so i tried prying it blah blah, i eventually realized there was a bracket on the backside and then removed it and swapped the vp. when i put it back on it was bent from my doing so i left it off. this was back in 2009 when i left he bracket off at appx 160,000 miles.  the truck now has over 215,000 still with no bracket.  i think it is mainly there to ensure gear teeth alignment and possibly secure against the vibration harmonics of the engine itself. no problems so far but i would like to get a new bracket and get it installed again as i dont like things half a$$ed.

ill pick one up this year or next since i hardly drive the truck

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Cummins-VP44-DODGE-SUPPORT-FUEL-PUMP-BRACKET-3945519/192519352891?epid=1253611190&hash=item2cd30c323b:g:ZBkAAOSw~E5abfcb

Edited by CUMMINSDIESELPWR

I got very lucky that the studs of the torx bolts were not seized or tight in the holes in the block. They came out like butter. Moving the power steering pump and vacuum pump as a whole was a complete breeze to. 2 bolts. Let's you get it out of the way more than enough to get to the 2 bolts. Just be very careful with the o ring when putting back together!!