• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Drafting wasnt enough

Evan

30mile draft behind a truck. Fail

Bucking a heavy wind coming out of salt lake headed to boise. Made the bad decision to cross the 50-60mile stretch with no fuel stations. Got in behind a semi letting it pull and buck the wind for me. Instant  mpg drafting in the 40s bucking my own trail it was in the high teens.

Sucked her dry watching fuel pressure gauge go to zero pulling a small grade semi leaving me. Managed to pull the hill topping she levels psi comes back coasting down hill shes back to life psi reading 20 sweat rolling off my forehead.  I'm thinking I got this I've never run you out of fuel yet. 6 miles to go instant numbers in the 30s coming off the hill still in the head wind. She stutters im thinking just air in it from the climb with fuel at back of tank nope she almost dies I look at christine we are done she says how? I'm like it's done not enough fuel weve sucked the tank dry. I shut the key off same time she falls in her face and roll off the side of the rd.

Ended up getting a ride from a lady to get fuel. I had a two gallons can and bought a 5gallon can I topped of the lady's fuel tank and gave her 40 bucks all I had on me. Thanked her greatly. 

Penciled out my numbers after getting running and I only got 17 out of that tank.  Running 20-30psi bucking the wind out of salt lake. 

Told christine that was the first time I've ever ran out of fuel. 

Fun fun times 

Edited by Evan

• Owner

Southern Idaho, I tend to keep the tank above 1/2 tank. That area down there is known for high winds. My last trip from Ontario pushed on me sideways all the way home. Really sucked for MPG performance like 18.38 MPG. High wind gusts. Now starting my morning at 19*F and breezy at 3 to 10 MPH and at least 1 inch of snow. Ugh.

Yeah lesson learned.

I'm riding up a turbo inlet fitting at the hydraulic supply place. Maybe do turbo tonight.

Mike I was getting no where near 18 in the head wind. Lol

Currently 14 deg in boise

20191030_083937.jpg

Edited by Evan

• Owner

Yeah. The weather up here is been bitter cold. I was out chasing two dead Ford trucks and then found a beauty of a 1998 Dodge Ram (p-pump) that has a lift pump problem. Still in all all three job are stuck outside and I've got to get parts and repair ASAP. The Ford trucks are the local Elk ranch. The owner of the ranch.

As for the fuel usage. The biggest thing is getting the pyrometer under 600*F constantly and drop that boost to near zero. Hopefully I can get back to a better schedule and quit rushing every where its costing me dearly. 

Capture+_2019-10-31-06-46-02.png

Part of it was moving my GF from Nampa to up here. Then Mom running late getting out for her dialysis. Then having to drive like jackass to make it all the way to Ontario on time. Need to get back my tuning and build a winter tune that can work with subzero temperatures. I'm also waiting for winterized diesel to stabilize in content.

• Staff

It's windy and your daytime highs are in the high 50's. however, next week the rain comes in and the highs are only in the 40's better get them done as soon as you can, You have about a week of dry and thats it. :truck: