• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Stolen Catalytic Converter

Tractorman

My son-in-law has a 2006 Ram 3500 Dually 5.9 Cummins with a manual six speed.  The catalytic converter was stolen while the truck was parked for awhile.  My question is:  Will there be any adverse side effects if the catalytic converter is replaced with a straight pipe?  Smog testing is no longer an issue with the truck. 

From what I know, I don't think it would be an issue, but I would rather hear from others who might know differently. 

Thank you,
- John

• Staff

Why would they go to the trouble to steal that?

Probably due to the platinum inside and the good cordless sawzalls now a days, Is that right? 

I don't know about everyone else..... I see more and more things like this in the world around us..... thus we'll see this more often in the future.

I'm glad the straight pipe will be good for the truck anyhow.

10 hours ago, JAG1 said:

Why would they go to the trouble to steal that?

Probably due to the platinum inside and the good cordless sawzalls now a days, Is that right? 

I don't know about everyone else..... I see more and more things like this in the world around us..... thus we'll see this more often in the future.

I'm glad the straight pipe will be good for the truck anyhow.

They have a decent scrap value i believe not to mention a secondary used market.

Edited by dripley
  • Thanks 1

• Owner

Precious metals... Platinum is the primary. 

As for the requirements for the engine is straight pipe. Muffler is optional most states will regard a turbo as a muffling device. Cat's are not required on the exhaust except for Cally trucks. As long as you not in a smog state you should be fine with buying any exhaust system you wish and possibly upgrade. Most exhaust kits are like $400 roughly. 

It's already 4" I'd run it.

Down here in dry southern ish idaho I ran 4" pipe off a 3rd gen for quite awhile 

You can by delete pipes but they may be to short depending on how much the thief's cut out of the system