• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Electric Assist Turbo anyone?

Me78569

Anyone else see this ?

garrett_e-turbo.jpg

What lag?   @dieselautopower  thoughts ?

From what I have seen Garrett has battery that is charged then discharged rapidly when the turbo needs help spooling up.  

The coolest part is gathering energy from the turbo when not on boost.  It will use the turbine as a generator to pump power back into the charging system.

https://www.garrettmotion.com/electric-hybrid/garrett-e-turbo/

Edited by Me78569

Waste of money.  

Get this instead its only $30 on ebay!

image.png.84cac2452d00d7107706d8b6504f6eef.png

Seriously the electronic spool will help emissions and performance... essentially supercharging vehicle until exhaust gasses bring the turbo up to speed.

IIRC garret has it in production, but has not disclosed which vehicle manufacturer will be the recipient.

• Haha 1

• 5 months later...
  • Owner

I'm going to say its a flop.

After my trip to Arizona and seeing long grades 10 to 20 miles long where the turbo is spooled up 15 to 17 PSI constantly. That little battery won't last long. Especially when your climbing then level off, then climb again.  I would say in racing its a different thing where the driver is constantly on the throttle and back out again. Where most of us just set the cruise and stay even rate and speed. Where will that charge come being we don't power then let up in the corners like racing. Can't charge will being spooled. Like my trip home I bucked head wind the entire way and stay in the spool constantly. 

Standard turbo now are expensive, then you look at the pure cost of a VGT turbo on the 4th gens and up, even more expensive. Then this new technology with a controller, battery, electric motor, etc. Most of use won't be able to afford it. (Check the links).

Edited by Mopar1973Man

• 2 months later...

My first question.... what are they doing about the efficiency of losing ~20% of power each way? It is bound to be a brushless 3ph motor, owing to the 3 wires, which means thats an inverter box. Looks a lot like my prius drivetrain bolted to a turbo. It's great for traffic (I have gotten 75+mpg in city) but is not great for highway(45-55mpg). It is more efficient to just not have the hybrid system, but the ability to store otherwise wasted heat energy makes up for it in intermittent power situations. On the highway, it's just extra weight. 

EMD built their later 2 strokes with a turbo that was driven off of the accessory drive of the engine. It has a clutch that disengages after notch 5(iirc) and allows it to spin free. Acts like a supercharger for starting and through lower power. Allowed them to get rid of the supercharger/blower all together. It was a very reliable system that didn't need servicing any more frequently than the rest of the engine. It was more economical and had higher total power.... win win. Seems like that would be the way I would go as an engineer

• Like 2