• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Productive day

I have been looking for some cheap 17" wheels and ran across 5 H2 Hummer wheels for $125. The guy had a white rust free rear door for $100 so i got it too. Found a HX35 with 50k on it for $200 shipped. I have to quit spending money on this thing. 

• Like 2

• Staff
5 hours ago, dripley said:

Check those wheels for weight rating. I heard somewhere a good while back they are not rated for a lot of weight. Not something I know just something I heard. Could be wrong.

They should be rated for 3195lbs, which is what regulations limit LT 17” tires to these days. 

@dripley I've seen weights all over the place. 2700-3200 range. I think enough people are using them without issue that I'll be fine. I'm building this truck up for retirement and thats 3 years off. Thats when I'll be hauling a 5th wheel if we go that way. I'm sure between now and then i can find something better if need be. Loaned my router to a guy at work so when i get that back I'll open up the center hole and test fit. Might blast and powder coat after that.

20200201_180927.jpg

Did all 5 wheels in about 45 minutes. After the 1st wheel it was about 5 minutes per wheel and turned out pretty smooth. 1/2" flush laminate bit in the router at lowest speed. May have to go over it with a sanding drum but won't know until i test fit on rear axle.

20200203_160250.jpg

18 minutes ago, Gregturley said:

Did all 5 wheels in about 45 minutes. After the 1st wheel it was about 5 minutes per wheel and turned out pretty smooth. 1/2" flush laminate bit in the router at lowest speed. May have to go over it with a sanding drum but won't know until i test fit on rear axle.

20200203_160250.jpg

What did you use as a guide? 

Guide? I don't need no stinkin guide!

Wheel has a lip that the bearing can ride on to guide the router. Just keep the router flat on back side of wheel and let the bit work. Don't force it, go steady and use a sharp bit.

Screenshot_2020-02-02-19-05-56.png

You can see the lip in this photo. There's just enough for the bearing to ride on.

20200203_162308.jpg

@Bullet and a rust free door the same color as my truck you forgot to mention.

I sold my 97 gasser and my 65 Dart plus got some very rare overtime. It helped that everything was fairly cheap

Not much time spent yet. Still have to blast and paint wheels, hang door, figure out what to do with the bad turbo, install the good turbo. Need to rebuild my dash still also. I'll be busy when spring finally gets here.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Staff
6 hours ago, Gregturley said:

@Bullet and a rust free door the same color as my truck you forgot to mention.

I sold my 97 gasser and my 65 Dart plus got some very rare overtime. It helped that everything was fairly cheap

Not much time spent yet. Still have to blast and paint wheels, hang door, figure out what to do with the bad turbo, install the good turbo. Need to rebuild my dash still also. I'll be busy when spring finally gets here.

Way better than almost a grand a month truck payments and almost homeless for a new one :thumb1:

Edited by JAG1
  • Like 1

• Staff

I tell my customers, to justify the repair cost, that if they amortize the repair cost over 12 months it will be a lot less than the cost or even a lease payment.   Another cost to consider is the amount of sales tax and registration fees on a new vehicle can be more than the repair on the old vehicle.   Sales tax on a $60,000 here in California can be as much as $6,150.

• Like 2