• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

62 or Compounds?

First time poster, long time reader. The knowledge on this forum is amazing and can’t thank everyone enough for it so thanks in advance.

I know this has been beat to death, but I couldn’t find my exact answers and don’t want to do this twice. The truck is used to pull a 24’ gooseneck full of cattle a few times a year through some short but steep rolling hills. Other than that it gets driven on the weekends. I want to get close to the 500hp mark without having to stare at my pyro. I was told a 62/65/14 and some 100’s would do the trick, but ive never ran a bigger turbo and worry about lag towing.

I’ve seen Carl’s compound kits and wonder if an Hx35/s472 or something similar would be better in the long run. They aren’t much more than the HTT I was priced. If the stock turbo isn’t going to pair well or is a pain to dial in I probably won’t mess with it. Thought about trying the 62 and using it later in compounds but it seems like a waste of money if I could start there now with the stocker and have a faster spool than the 62. I’m planning on getting studs and a clutch in soon when it warms up a little. Then on to the fuel and air. I’m sure both have their advantages but what’s the best option? 

Thanks. I figured 100’s might be on the small side with an HO pump. I can probably tune down 150’s when I need to tow. Is the 68 enough to run cool towing? I’m guessing the 12cm has better spool 14cm has better flow? If that’s the case I’ll just forget about compounds for now.

My 62 65 14 spools very quick with 100s temp doesn't seem to go over 1100s towing fairly heavy.  I'm sure I can bump to 150with similar results 

With the bigger turbo and towing I'm lit and making 20lbs just of idle pressure will rise about the same rate as pedal is pressed puts a huge grin on my face

I dont know how characteristics would be with a 6speed. But the auto builds boost and holds it through the gears.

Boost is there with no programming just Injectors and turbo , heat does not seem to be affected either way by adding or taking away fuel with the smarty .

For me it's a solid set up I'm so glad I went turbo before a quad. I feel those that go quad injectors then turbo later will be watching they're temp gauge alot.

Edited by Evan
  • Like 1

Good to know it won’t heat up while towing. That’s my only worry is the 6 speed. I lose boost every shift and have to spool the turbo again. I’ve heard you don’t lose much boost shifting with compounds, but then again I’ve never ran either setup.

If a 62 lights quick for you without much tuning then I would think I shouldn’t have a problem with my quad. Is there enough difference between the 65 and 68 that it will make a big difference? IF I end up wanting compounds later on will both work as decent secondary?

Sounds like I can’t go wrong with either then. That’s a relief. I appreciate the input too. I’ll throw some 7 x .010 injectors in when I do the turbo(s). I now have my choice nailed down for a single. I’d eventually like to try compounds and have the cash for it now if I wanted. I’d like to have a good option on them too so I can decide between the two. 

• Like 1

Welcome...if you want to alleviate any and all concerns about egt's then compounds are the answer.  A hx35 over a 72 would be a great towing/playtime combo.  Or start with a 62 and eventually put a 75 underneath it if you still need egt cooling help and want more power. 

I run a 62 over a 75 with 7x.010's and it can handle much more fuel than I currently give it and still keep egt's low.  I don't even pay attention to the pyrometer anymore cuz there's just no need to.  Spools similar to stock and can get around 60 psi out of it...a 62 by itself should give around 40-45ish psi depending on injector size. 

• Like 1

I put a 62/65/14 on my old 12v and eventually put a 75/96/1.10 under it. I could not get egt’s much over 1100 no matter how hard i tried pulling a loaded 35’ gooseneck and beating the poo out of it. Busted a fist size hole in a boot with that load and 80 psi but never got warm. BD used to have a small set of towing twins, I believe 57/69, and it was a really fun setup with manual trans. 

• Like 1

They sound like having your cake and eating it too! I think twins will be in my future. I don’t think I would be able to resist trying them. I’ve read that some kits are better than others, but most of the those threads are older now and I would expect quality has improved. Crazy Carl’s 2/3rd kit looks decent for the stocker. If I went with the Hx35 for now, all I would have to change in the future to go to a 62 secondary would be a hot pipe, correct?

3 hours ago, 98whitelightnin said:

I could not get egt’s much over 1100 no matter how hard i tried beating the poo out of it. Busted a fist size hole in a boot with that load and 80 psi but never got warm.

Same problem...can't seem to bust 1100 with compounds.  I've blown a boot off somewhere in the mid 50's and it scared the crap out of me...sounded like a 12 gauge went off under the hood.  I'll bet blowing a big hole in one at 80 psi sounded like a colonial war cannon going off? 

1 hour ago, Ranch96 said:

They sound like having your cake and eating it too!

Yes that's a pretty good way to look at it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bullet said:

Same problem...can't seem to bust 1100 with compounds.  I've blown a boot off somewhere in the mid 50's and it scared the crap out of me...sounded like a 12 gauge went off under the hood.  I'll bet blowing a big hole in one at 80 psi sounded like a colonial war cannon going off? 

Yes that's a pretty good way to look at it.

That's it, I quit :kick:

• Haha 1

It was a pretty loud pop, buddies girlfriend in the back seat might have peed a little. :lmao:

I think I used stainless diesel kit and everything went together great. Came with S&B dry filter too but it was expensive. Would have been a little cheaper with box 475 but that 1.10 spooled great. 
corrected for chicken man

Edited by 98whitelightnin
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, 98whitelightnin said:

It was a pretty loud pop, buddies girlfriend in the back seat might have peed a little. :lmao:

I think I used stainless diesel kit and everything went together great. Came with S&B dry filter too but it was expensive. Would have been a little cheaper with box 475 but that 1.10 spoiled great. 

I cant seem to get my turbo to spoil.:(

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1