• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Moving to almost the great white north.

Me78569

• Staff
On 6/5/2020 at 4:26 PM, Me78569 said:

thanks,

lots of work to do and not enough time or money.   

Oh well... your young. I remember those days well. Building my house took 18 months in my spare time. At times work till midnight under a 20 ft high vapor light I set up. What your doing now will be a blessing for years to come. I'm very happy for you....... a man going after his dream. :thumbup2:

USAA is telling me they want flood insurance on the place due to the property being within the 1988 flood map zone 1......

X marks the house.

Annotation 2020-06-08 080413.jpg

I went out with my GPS to plot altitude and the house is no less than 25' higher than the river accounting for GPS inaccuracy.  there is a clause in the agreement that says I have the right to have a fema rep come out.  Giving that the above map has my back yard in not a flood plain but the house in a flood plain even though they are at the same elevation I think Fema will be on my side.   

one step at a time.

• Owner

Kind of like us. The 1996/1997 flood was high enough to cover the highway but the river was long ways from us. River flooding isn't the problem but the mountain run off is the problem. We are not required for flood insurance. My guest house / shop has been flooded more times I care to count. 

• Sad 1

• Staff

That's not bad odds for chance of flooding. Then add how much higher the floor elevation is. We got a permit to build in a flood zone on a river and had to build 12 inches higher than the 100 year flood elevation established with a spike the county surveyor drove in a nearby telephone pole. It wasn't a problem. sounds like your at a safe height.

Edited by JAG1

• Staff
8 hours ago, Me78569 said:

@JAG1'

I very much think the house is safe, however convincing the bank might be a different story

I've built two homes on flood plains and both had to be just 12 inches above the hundred year flood mark. They were no problem for the county nor the bank loan approval. You may have to invest in a surveyor to show that you are 12 inches above. Sounds like you are.

In the basement there was a big ole crack in the corner of the foundation.   Rolled the dice and we said we would deal with it as it didn't seem like a typical big issue crack......

Turns out that when you don't clean your gutters the water runs over and spilled right into the window well and runs down to the corner of the house,   It is amazing sometimes what a little bit of water can explain.  

Got a plan A at this point that I think will resolve the issue.   thankfully it will just take a bit of dirt and a tweak to where the downspouts are discharging to make me happy.

• Staff

Yep downspouts are the biggest offender to a basement. In oregon rain country we have to use ABS piping and make a complete rain drainage system to 'daylight' or drain out out down the hill minimum 10-20 feet away. I don't like underground drainage systems..... I like to be able to see it working, draining out down the hill. A little trick..... if you place a straight coupling on the 3'' ABS upright for each downspout then they don't have to create a clog by always needing to crimp the metal downspout smaller on the end to fit in the 3'' pipe. That straight coupling will allow full size metal downspout. Even the next size up downspout for less clogging if you wish. I often go to the next size larger and always go with the factory pre made elbows using what we call the corrugated downspout material. The square downs where the installer makes the bends are prone to clogging. Never nail the downspouts to the house, always use screws. Yack Yack I better shut up.

Edited by JAG1

• Staff
12 hours ago, Me78569 said:

all stuff I am learning. 

underground drainage seems like a dumb idea in principle, why bury something that you need to watch lol.    

Exactly boss :thumb1:

• 1 month later...

Welcome to the land of sky blue waters! Just a couple of things that are different here than the Springs. First, as you have probably noticed, it can get a little "buggy", but that's what they make bug juice for. Second, the winters can get kind of cold, sometimes into the -40 f range. Once you get past those two things it's really a nice place.

You ever go through Red Lake Falls, stop into the parts store and say Hi.

Mark

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/17/2020 at 3:29 PM, Scarecrow said:

Welcome to the land of sky blue waters! Just a couple of things that are different here than the Springs. First, as you have probably noticed, it can get a little "buggy", but that's what they make bug juice for. Second, the winters can get kind of cold, sometimes into the -40 f range. Once you get past those two things it's really a nice place.

You ever go through Red Lake Falls, stop into the parts store and say Hi.

Mark

yep bugs are getting better now.   If I am over your way I will stop by.   we go to thief river falls from time to time to see my grandma.  

• 5 weeks later...

Fish have been biting good.  Friend landed a 25 1/4" walleye on my pole this last week

3179634618337787263.jpg

And had a sunrise like this most morning.

-1576878066589484088.jpg

Feeling pretty lucky, I hope it lasts.   Still waiting on the apprasail to come through so we can actually buy the place.   Crazy how hard it is to get a loan up here since there are so few comps.    Might have to punt and find another source of funding ugh....   

780 credit, 40% down and 12 years at the same place working, but the rules say the house doesn't have value without comps so they can't loan....... :duh:

Edited by Me78569
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1