• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

which tuner/programer??

Hoping to hear from some of you gear heads out there who have experience with both the edge comp box and quadzilla adrenaline, honestly my head's hurting thinking about Which if any tuner I'm going to get for my truck. My plan was to get a gauge setup and go from there, if I take my local Cummins gurus advise there's really no choice but to get the edge monitor for my gauges then comp box. He says as far as not being glitchy and durable, like 15yrs durable then it's edge, but then I'm seeing a lot of y'all have quadzilla's and seem to like them? How long have you had them? Trouble free? I like the idea of the quad having gauges and killing two birds, but then read that they're not accurate?? Also I'm Very interested in the whole mpg tuning with quad and I'm pretty sure the edge can't do anything like that? I'm getting crappy mpg, like 12ish!! Injectors??

Then I'm seeing mostly quad can be real glitchy and either one can exploit weak links in our trucks, just not sure I want to dive into that dark world? am I being paranoid or am I crazy for not getting one? Budget also a concern.

I'm about ready to just get a boost fooler and injectors and call it a day, ( and gauges )

Thanks for any thoughts and opinions!

really comes down to if you want a canned tune, Edge, or if you want a tune that is geared to the truck you have, Quad. 

Both are reliable, both have bad units out of the gate.    most complaints from the quad are a result of a badly kept up truck and not wanting to put the effort into getting a tune built.   You don't hear about this with the edge because there is no tuning to suite you needs and it doesn't need sensor data to do what it does.   

Example is if you unplug the map witt the edge it defaults to 10 psi for fueling values.   You won't really notice this with the edge, however iwth the quad if you unplug the map you are left with a truck that runs like garbage.  

If you put the effort in with the quad it will pay you back with a nice running truck, if you don't put the effort in then good luck to you.

Thanks for reply, I really am interested in the versatility of the quad and don't mind putting in effort, but am I also asking for trouble when I'm an absolute greenhorn when it comes to diesels in general? (But slowly learning) Or just download someone's tune and hope for the best? Also know nothing about tuner's.

On another note,(mpg's) any experience in pinpointing injector problems? I read here that if I can get ahold of something to read engine load it can point to bad /dirty injectors? Just wondering if I should tackle this first before I spend money on anything? Of course my "guru" says only way is to remove and test, might as well buy new ones at that point!

Thanks again!

I fitted a quad about 4 months ago, I just found a tow tune on here and thats all i've done as I just have no time to spare at the moment building a tune ( 70 to  80 hrs a week at work) I run it on lvl 2 towing and lvl 3 just the truck as the 47re is stock and I drive like your granny anyway, it has made a huge difference, I did a lockup switch and now the truck is really good in 3lu or 4lu, no smoking tyres but I don't want that. Quad set up easy even with a UK samsung tablet. It shows load also,  I'm around 7  I think, same figure as Snap On Modis... 

I’ve never ran an Edge but I know from what I’ve read on here with my setup I wouldn’t be happy. I love the Quad. So many more things you can do with it. I’ve changed injectors 3 times. Started with a stock engine. Hy35 to an Hx35 now my hybrid. Each change I was able to write a new tune to get the most out of my setup. No black smoke. Plenty of info and knowledgeable guys here willing to help out with a Quad. 

• Owner

I've played with several Edge Juice and Edge Comp systems. All I can say is that they work with stock fuel systems fine. If your wanting to upgrade to bigger injectors past +50 HP it becomes a smoke bomb very had to control the smoke. When I upgraded to +50HP injectors I had to drive with a serious light foot to prevent smoking. This was the end of my Edge Comp days ands was replaced with Quadzilla and then the bigger injectors started getting used.

Quadzilla is very clean even all the way up at 150 HP injectors. I've ran +50 HP, +75 HP +150 HP injectors on thew Quadzilla. No problems and easy to tune it clean and powerful. Like currently I know the max EDge Comp will give is close to 21* but I need 24* for cruise timing art 2K RPMs. This makes the bast MPG for my setup currently. This is where the Edge Product come short is the fact you can't adjust timing at all. The fuel map need to altered to put the fuel in the need position of the map but can't. Hence why Quadzilla can produce clean power and Edge products are very smokey and dirty tuners for large injectors. 

Edited by Mopar1973Man

Thanks for all the info guys! But like I was saying, I was going to start with gauges and was kinda led down the edge monitor path as being great choice and a good compliment to the comp box once I'm ready for that investment, but after lurking around here for a while I'm leaning towards quad. Then I read quad "gauges" aren't accurate whatsoever?? Then my head started spinning, back to square one, do I invest $4-800 on gauges now and save $700+ for a quad down the road? Getting out of control quick! So are the quad gauges really that crappy that I shouldn't think I'm going to get two for one so to speak? Just thinking priority right now is monitoring parameters?

Thanks!

• Owner

Something Edge does not have... Can you adjust timing to suit your injectors?

Screenshot_20200615-082648_iQuad.jpg

Can you adjust the fuel map to gain the most performance without smoke and cut below stock fuel which Edge Products cant do...

Screenshot_20200615-083101_iQuad.jpg

Around town I typically run headless Quadzilla. In other words I do not load up the app at all. This is great security measure that most don't catch on to. Without a display hanging on the dash everyone assumes the truck is stock and worthless. Another trick...

Edited by Mopar1973Man

Thanks Moparman, I appreciate that and totally get how the quad is more versatile, assuming it's also durable, but back to the gauge thing which I'm sure most would agree should be priority first.

Get the quad and deal with gauges it comes with, and possibly get real gauges later? Or prioritize getting real gauges and get quad later? Sorry, not asking for anyone to make decisions for me just want to make best decision possible. Then on top of that might have to buy injectors and or?! ? I know, welcome to the diesel world, lol

• Owner

Quadzilla comes with gauges... 

I prefer the external gauges... Stand alone and do not use the stock sensors. I went with ISSPro EV2 because they are programmable and you can set the wwarning lamps to come on at certain values. Like my EGT's set for >1,200, Boost is set for >45 PSI, Fuel pressure is set for <13 PSI, Trans temp is set for >225F. Then you can calibrate the brightness of the gauges to match your dash, then also set the needle reaction speed. 

Isspro EVA - 2nd Generation Dodge Non-Powertrain - Mopar1973Man's ...

Just plug in and flash...

Isspro EVA - 2nd Generation Dodge Non-Powertrain - Mopar1973Man's ...

Edited by Mopar1973Man

The Quad gauges are fine for most.  I tend to not think of gauges as %100 accuate regardless, they are all calibrated in one way or another.   

For me the point of gauges was to spot and issue,  such as Fuel pressure dropping to 0 psi.  If the quad gauge reads 1 or 5 psi off that wouldn't matter since 0 psi is 0 psi.   Same goes for boost and egt,   20 psi boost or 25 psi boost doesn't really matter if the truck is running well.  

• Owner

Just the upper ends of the stock MAP sensor are not accurate. Above about 25 PSI. Quadzilla can report weird high values like my truck at 67 PSI recorded in the logs (either with 2001 MAP sensor or the 2002 MAP sensor) which I know I max out at 47 PSI typically (ISSPro gauge). EGT's now are close to each other but can very at times. Both are right next to each other in the 4,5,6 runner. I'm the late series MAP where like Nick's truck was early MAP and typically more accurate. Which the Quadzilla just caps the actual value to the ECM to like 18 PSI

I'm not using the fuel pressure of the Quad. ISSPro EV2. Being my a-pillar gauges are more visible over my Quad display which might no even used at the time.

Trans temp of the Quadzilla I'm using for Engine Oil temp out of the oil cooler. That sensor seems to be just about dead on when check with IR temp gun. 

Edited by Mopar1973Man