• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

53 block article

53 Blocks are rather common... But the weird part is that I've seen completely stock truck crack the block and then seen big HP/TQ out of 53 block and live a very long life of 500K or more miles... http://www.stamey.info/Truck/Cummins53BlockFAQ.htm

'Nother good article there for sure! Just fascinating to me for some reason. I had no clue they had a bad run of engine blocks, thank god I don't have to worry about mine.

i have heared that....:lmao:i have one and it has 160,000 plus miles on it...and others have alot more than that on there's and still no troubles...the best one are the 55,56's and the almighty IH stamp on it!!:thumbup2:

You are doing good then, hope I don't jinx ya

i have a 53 block. no problems so far. i think the problem is most people that have them don't know or care. continued use means the crack is going to spread.

I hope it keeps on holding together! You in OKC? I drive to OU for law school classes everyday from the Shawnee area. Really cool to see another Okie on here. *edit* hahaha me and my grammar sometimes LOL.

• 1 month later...

A friend had a 53 block in his 99 truck. I ran fine for about 8 years and then crapped out. Put on a nice steam show on the interstate while he was pulling a load. Cummins offered to split the cost of replacing the block but he found a new block on eBay and did it himself instead. It was a LOT of work for him but he has a top knotch truck now. Some 53 blocks run forever......others are on borrowed time. You never know until you see the coolant leaking out or notice your coolant reservoir needing constant topping off.

• 9 months later...

I've got a 55 block in my '01.

The guy I got my 2001 from told me something went wrong with his and Dodge replaced the block under warrentee. I looked last night and found I now have a #56 Block 245 HP in the truck and right at 100,000 miles on it. Mark