• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Autometer over-mirror/windshield gauge pod - Anyone use them?

Rogan

Kinda hard to find those for dodges. Ford and Chevy guys seem to love them. Best I can tell, they have tabs that hang on like a garage door remote, except around the headliner rather than the visor.

It is Autometer. They have a very good reputation and are synonymous with racing. Everything I have touched that has be made by them is good stuff. Point being, it is likely to be easily installed by joe blow with basic hand tools. No removal of and major interior bits from what I can tell.  

Closest I can find where someone documented the install in any detail whatsoever. Spoiler, its a square body Ford.

https://www.nickpisca.com/diesel/fuel-system/new-overhead-gauge-pod/

This reads like a page out of a Haynes manual. Just enough to get you started, but vague enough to leave you scratching your head.

https://www.americantrucks.com/auto-meter-overhead-console-gauge-pod-dual-21-16-0308-ram-1500-manu-install-r102908.html

I think I want to do this in the 2012 once it gets registered in Louisiana and doesn't have inspections... 

I don't want to move the grab handle so above the mirror seems like a good spot.

Edited by That Guy

• Staff

I had one and hated it. It wasn’t a good scan location and always fell down. I probably could have fixed the falling issue but the location sealed the deal on my dislike.  

I sold it and got a triple dash pod and loved it. At 6.4” it didn’t obstruct any view, was in my forward scan area, and looked sharp. The wife is 5’8” and I don’t recall it blocking any of her view. 

1 minute ago, That Guy said:

That's not bad at all. I was picturing them being just above the gauge cluster.

You could put it anywhere between vents if wanted. IIRC thats why mine is where it is. The gauges are still easy to read. I put this in right after install a new dash pad and could not bring myself to drill a hole in it. I do like the way they look mounted forward as in @AH64ID's set up. This particular one has the gauges angled slightly towards the drivers side.

Just to add this is in a 2nd gen in case it matters.

• Staff
1 hour ago, Rogan said:

John, how'd you like that windshield shade?   worthwhile?

I'm 5'9, so my short *** can see that location really easy..

love it. All my rigs, aside from the Jeep, have had one. And they probably always will. 

They are made by sunshade. 

Edited by AH64ID

14 hours ago, dripley said:

I am 6-4 also and have the dash mount and love it to. Here it is from my view point. DSC01380.JPG.4d39edcdd4b2bcbe506729d0b327cf49.JPG

Looks like my dash, same crack and hole, Lol I really like the looks of the overhead set, but yes, your eyes would be off the road. My eyes take a while to focus on gauges. Mine are in the same place as drip's, I mostly monitor my monitor now. The paper plate is to keep the sun off my monitor, the heat will shut it off.

0709200839.jpg

0709200838.jpg

• Like 3