• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

MAP sensor

My truck has been eating MAP sensors lately. I can't remeber how or when the the first of the last 3 failed but it seems to me it happened after another repair. This last one was working when I parked the truck Friday and replaced the master cylinder. Get that done and start the truck and the MAP is not working, complete with another p0237 code. No readingmfrom it on the scan gauge. The previous one failed when the VP went over Thanksgiving.  

I bought a couple cheap a member here found as a spare. 15 bucks so I had little faith in it working and it did not. The odd thingmI found on the truck was that I apparently some where in the past have swapped my IAT and MAP locations. The Ist was just behind the filter canister and the MAP was back behind there where the IAT should be. Dont know when or how I did this but tjats where they were. Since they were all the same part I figured the part was faulty from Oriellys. 

20200907_211414.jpg.f74ca3aa16d98a1d00c21123e54b3feb.jpg

This is the offending part. This one was inder warranty and they replacedmfor free. The good thing since the part had doubled in price from $100 to $200. Makes me wonder if they are replacing  them.

My question would be is there something in the IAT area that would eat the MAP sensors? I dont know how I reversed them but it was most evidently me.

• Owner
10 hours ago, dripley said:

My question would be is there something in the IAT area that would eat the MAP sensors?

No. Different 5 volt circuit. IAT only controls engine timing as far as I figured out. Then I would have to ask didn't you follow the crowd and buy a "Cummins MAP sensors" being that sensor is "The highest Quality" which I know it isn't and not produced directly by Cummins either. 

So what code did the old sensor pop

10 hours ago, dripley said:

The Ist was just behind the filter canister and the MAP was back behind there where the IAT should be. Dont know when or how I did this but tjats where they were. Since they were all the same part I figured the part was faulty from Oriellys. 

Always been the MAP is just behind the fuel filter. The IAT shuold be all the way at the very end of the intake manifold back by #6.

Where is the map sensor and data link???? - Dodge Diesel - Diesel Truck  Resource Forums

39 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

No. Different 5 volt circuit. IAT only controls engine timing as far as I figured out. Then I would have to ask didn't you follow the crowd and buy a "Cummins MAP sensors" being that sensor is "The highest Quality" which I know it isn't and not produced directly by Cummins either. 

No. I bought the one in the picture by Standsrd. It was $100 when l bought it back last Thanksgiving.  It's now $200. It was the price that originally drew me to it plus l have used other Standard products with great succes.  I also a few months back for $15. It did not either.

Popped a 237 code.

43 minutes ago, Mopar1973Man said:

Always been the MAP is just behind the fuel filter. The IAT shuold be all the way at the very end of the intake manifold back by #6.

Yeah l know. Dont have clue when l could have reversed them but evidently I did. Dont remeber noticing last time l swapped one.

Now for the good part or maybe the not so bright part.:doh::doh::doh::doh:

Put the new sensor in and same problem. So now l figure its wiring problem. I figured maybe in the adapter pigtail. So get under the and umplug the harness. Disconnected the Comp connection and thats when my brain clicked and l remembered I had to disconnect the comp to remove the knee bolster. :doh::doh:. Reconnected the Comp and all is well. The old, new and $15 cheapie work just fine. Left the cheap one in to see how it does. Sure glad I did not have pay another $200 for one. 

I also figured the above paradraph was duly deserving of quadruple dumbass and threw another double for good. I am definitely not MAP sensor poor now.

• Haha 2

• 2 months later...
10 hours ago, IBMobile said:

Where did you get it?   I'll buy one and through it under the seat for a spare.

Fridayparts.com. I can get a part # when I get back home. They offer several from $15 to $200 and alot of other sensors and such. It all appears Chinese. 

• Thanks 1

I remember replacing my OE MAP many years back and the sticker shock I got on what they cost. I cant see why they cost as much as they do. All they do is measure air pressure. What is so special about them? 

I have to admit I did not have much hope on the $15 one but for that kind of money I figured what the heck. If they proved bad, not much of loss. 

• Staff
14 hours ago, dripley said:

Fridayparts.com. I can get a part # when I get back home.

The part number is on the box   HD46649222

https://www.fridayparts.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=hd46649222

O'Reilly's  has the Standard AS370 map sensor with a life time warranty for $102.99 

Edited by IBMobile
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, IBMobile said:

The part number is on the box   HD46649222

https://www.fridayparts.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=hd46649222

O'Reilly's  has the Standard AS370 map sensor with a life time warranty for $102.99 

The O'Rielly's one here went up to $200 out this way. It is the Standard you list. Last one of those I bought 11 months ago was 100 bucks.

1 hour ago, Dieselfuture said:

I want to say I payed $130 at local cummins place, came with harness adapter.

I cant remember what my first replacement cost but it came with the pig tail.

RA sure is proud of that pigtail. Normal price for just sensor is $102 or so. Add the pigtail it's $176?!

Screenshot_20201124-072335.png

It pays to investigate. $4.44 for connector, same brand. They want $69 to combine them into a kit, apparently.

Screenshot_20201124-072932.png

Edited by LorenS

I bought some running boards for the wifes Equinox from RA a while back and shipping was reasonable along with the cost of the product. 

A couple days ago I priced some Husky liners for the same vehicle. Price was good on them so I was going to buy them thru RA. Then at check out the economy shipping on them was $165. :thud: Needless to say I had to buy them somewhere else. Not sure what was up with that. I still buy a good bit of things from them and even with shipping they are still very economical.

• Owner
1 hour ago, LorenS said:

RA sure is proud of that pigtail. Normal price for just sensor is $102 or so. Add the pigtail it's $176?!

Cummins is just as bad I paid $132 dollars for mine. One of my reason for not buying Cummins parts. Then top it of for 6 connector tubes I was quote a crazy high price like $67 a connector tube. There is way cheaper solutions for even the pigtail. I could get the plug numbers on Mouser and then order a 2001 MAP plug and just cut off the old 2002 plug and wire in a 2001 plug and its a permanent solution. 

Being the 2002 MAP sensor and plugs are no longer produce why keep mess around with old pigtails... Wire it once and never look back. 

• Like 1