• Welcome To Mopar1973Man.Com LLC

We are a privately owned support forum for the Dodge Ram Cummins Diesels. All information is free to read for everyone. To interact or ask questions you must have a subscription plan to enable all other features beyond reading. Please go over to the Subscription Page and pick out a plan that fits you best. At any time you wish to cancel the subscription please go back over to the Subscription Page and hit the Cancel button and your subscription will be stopped. All subscriptions are auto-renewing. 

Heater core replacement coming soon. Anything else?

• Staff

So a while back I discovered my heater core was leaking and probably plugged since the heat output last winter was not the best. 

I ordered and received the new heater core and evap core from rock Auto, figured I'd replace both since I would have the box out already. 

I plan on replacing both, cleaning everything up and checking all the foam gaskets and whatnot while in there as well. Thought about the "heater treater" part but I was not having the issue that it repairs.

Wanted to replace the dash cover as well but it's not in the budget at the moment so it will have to wait.

Is there anything else I will need to consider while I have it all apart?

I've read @Mopar1973Man's write up on removal of the HVAC box without completely removing the dash from the cab. I will be following that instruction for the repair.

Thanks in advance for any input.

• Owner

It will work just fine I've done at least a dozen heater cores now and still it takes me most of the day to do a full heater core and evaporator service. I do everything wash the two half of the HVAC case. Inspect the evaporator for oily spots if so replace. Then if it dry I will typically power wash and reused if in good condition. Then check the blend door shaft since it out you can easily change that plastic shaft if need. Change out the blower resistor if the ceramic is cracked. If resistor is poor condition replace the blower motor too being the bearings are failing which causes high load on the resistor and it over heats. 

Doing any cheat will skip all this and typically result in pulling it later on because of other issues. Trust me after as many as I've done now it BEST to PULL the HVAC case and do a full service and cleaning. 

• Staff
8 hours ago, IBMobile said:

I've done my heater core and @JAG1work truck heater core, heater treater, AC evaporator and accumulator.  I took my time doing  JAG's truck because we were also tearing the roof of my 5th wheel at the same time.  His truck took a day and a half with all the interruptions. 

Mostly coffee breaks, the rest was handing me tools up to the roof .

Edited by JAG1

You may order one of the foam kits for them air handler box. Mine was all but gone on everything but the heater door. The evap is in front of the heater core and usually take the brunt of the dirt. I have been working on something as a filter to prevent some of the dirt/hair/crud that builds up in the core. 

Geno sells a set that goes in the cowl, that's kinda my idea.

Also, my new heater and evap core didnt come fully sealed off like the factory units. I used some weather stripping foam to seal around them.

Edited by That Guy

I think I'm going to put some window screen over the recirc door in the cab and do the genos filters for outside. I thought on it for 3 days trying to figure out where to feasibly put a filter...... I couldn't find a place with enough clearance except external.

• Owner

Won't work. For one there is large drain holes on the cowl that will draw in air. The cowl filters don't capture fine dist just large debris. Like I gleen this knowledge from watching older gent in Rhode Island try and keep mice out of his truck. The biggest entry is the HVAC case to the cowl. He was stuffing stainless pot scrubbers in every hole he could. 

There is just no way to keeping the debris and dust out of the system. The only thing I can suggest is run MAX A/C when your running dirt roads or super dusty conditions. 

• Staff

Finished the heater core replacement today for the most part. It went well, I was not overly meticulous with everything but I did clean things up. Wish I would have taken some pics but I was rolling along and didn't want to stop to go get my phone from the house.

The evap core was almost completely clogged with dirt/dust and other goop. The heater core was definitely showing signs of leaking. Both have been replaced now, heat blows nice and hot (topped out my 125° thermometer) and much stronger now to.

I have to vacuum the a/c tommorow and check for leaks before I charge it. 

IMG_20201001_174939133.jpg

• Like 1

• Staff

The thermometer I had in the vent is the one I use for a/c work, it tops out at 120 and it was pegged. I'm going to use my digital today and check it again just out of curiosity. Air flow is much better now. I may look into the filter setup from genoa, gonna have to wait a bit though. I'm laid off again for 2 weeks. (End of week one now) so once I get back to work. It may be a Christmas present for myself. Lol